PDA

View Full Version : 3 brothers reflect on joining Marines

thedrifter
05-31-09, 08:04 AM
3 brothers reflect on joining Marines
By Rob Novit - The Associated Press
Posted : Saturday May 30, 2009 17:57:14 EDT

AIKEN, S.C. — Soon after graduating from South Aiken High School a decade ago, Jamie Coomes enlisted in the Marine Corps and served eight months in Iraq in 2004.

He later ended his contract, only to re-enlist last December. Now he’s headed back to Iraq this summer.

When he returned from his first deployment, Coomes, now 28, joined the James L. Hammons Marine Corps League Detachment No. 939. He was invited to participate in the laying of the wreath at the Aiken County Veterans Park’s Memorial Day observance, joined by his two younger brothers, both now Marines as well.

Austin Coomes, 19, enlisted after finishing at South Aiken High in 2008. Justin Coomes, 27, graduated from Parris Island this month. Joining them at the ceremony were their mother, Debbie Coomes, and grandparents, Robert and Dotty Scott.

“The kids were always patriotic,” said Debbie Coomes. “They have a deep appreciation for the armed forces, and the flag has always been a special part of their lives.”

The G.I. Joe action figures and cartoon series were the best recruiting tools ever, said the eldest brother. He and Justin Coomes got involved in South Aiken’s Naval Junior ROTC unit, and that was a major influence, too.

Jamie Coomes’ good friend, Matt Dillon, was in the unit as well, and they agreed to join the Marine Corps after finishing high school. Coomes did just that, but Dillon enlisted in the Army National Guard’s 122nd Engineer Battalion out of Graniteville. They used to rag each other about that and the medals both were winning in their units.

Dillon made it to Iraq first in 2003 and earned a Purple Heart. When he returned to the U.S., he left the Army and joined the Marine Corps, in effect starting over. Dillon was deployed to Iraq in 2006 and was killed by an improvised explosive device Dec. 11. His name is on the Memorial Wall at the veterans park.

In late 2008 — three years out of the service — Coomes decided to re-enlist. He called the recruiting command center in North Carolina.

“They came to Matt’s grave site and we did the re-enlistment ceremony there Dec. 11,” he said. “His folks were there and our mutual friends. It was very emotional.”

It’s amazing, he said, to see his younger brothers in their dress blues. Austin Coomes was 10 when his oldest brother graduated from Parris Island. After that, he had no doubt he too would enlist after high school. He has participated in combat training and motor team mechanic training and is now on Reserve duty in Augusta, Ga. Currently looking for a job, he expects to go on active duty next year and to be deployed sometime after that.

“It’s a brotherhood,” Austin Coomes said. “Once a Marine, always a Marine. It really challenges you and changes you.”

As a teenager, Justin Coomes had talked to his older brother a lot about the Marine Corps. After high school, however, he decided to continue with civilian life, going to school and getting a job. But then his little brother enlisted last year.

“I couldn’t stand to see my little brother show me up,” Justin Coomes said with a smile. “That’s what made me decide to take that last little leap. Really, it’s something I’ve been looking forward to for more than 10 years.”

Five years ago, Jamie Coomes was in Iraq when he ordered flowers for his mom for Mother’s Day. When the flowers arrived, Debbie Coomes burst into tears. She acknowledged conflicting emotions at the time.

“God has replaced my fear with a peace,” she said in 2004. “Jamie needs my support. He needs to know I’m strong and not be on the front lines worrying about his mom at home.”

Jamie Coomes is now married, and his wife, Holly, is expecting a baby later this year. He has a son, 3, from a previous relationship.

Debbie’s approach for having three sons in the military has changed little.

“There are no words to explain this feeling,” she said. “It’s mostly pride and peacefulness. God is going to protect them, and they’re doing what their passion is.”

The Marines’ grandfather, Bob Scott, served three years in the Air Force.

“I have so much pride to see all three of them in uniform,” he said. “They’re willing to defend us with other young men and women. We pray for them every day.”

Ellie