View Full Version : Wallet uncovered after nearly 50 years

thedrifter
07-17-03, 11:58 AM
Memories lost...and found
Wallet uncovered after nearly 50 years
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 2003716192416
Story by Gunnery Sgt. Kent Flora

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa, Japan(July 15, 2003) -- A little worse for wear - finally found after more than 46 years, a Falfurrias, Texas man was left feeling emotional when he learned that a wallet he lost in the Pacific was found and being returned to him.

Casimiro Naranjo III, a former United States Marine, lost the wallet at the age of 19 while serving on Okinawa, Japan.

And it was not seen again until this past May, when renovations to the Marine Corps Base Theater uncovered the wallet.

The man responsible for the find was Frankie Nakazato, project manager for Ohna Denken Company.

"No one paid the wallet any attention," said the 47-year-old Naha man. "It was covered in mud and dirt-hardly looked like a wallet at all. But when I picked (the wallet) up, I saw it was pretty packed-lots of memories inside."

On closer inspection of the wallet, Nakazato discovered that it was full of photos, identification card, pawn slip dated Christmas day of 1957, an enlisted man's club card and most notably-a rations card signed by Capt James L. Day, who received the Medal of Honor in 1998 for his actions on Okinawa in 1945.

"I never realized that my rations card was signed by someone famous," said the 67-year-old Texan, who couldn't remember how his wallet was lost or the movie playing at the theater.

However, Narranjo did recall pawning his high school ring for some fast cash between paydays.

"I had no money and we were given liberty that night; I pawned my ring for a couple of steak dinners," he said.

The good Samaritan Nakazato took the wallet and cleaned it up recalling that the contents were probably in much the same condition as the day the wallet was lost. Nakazato also lost a wallet - when he was 15 years old. The only difference; Frankie didn't have to wait nearly a half century to get it back.

"The past, for him, can be remembered now," said Nakazato. "I'm happy that he was contacted so he can get it back. When I lost my wallet, I got it right back; of course, all the money was gone."

An assurance and thankfulness of service to Naranjo came from Marine Corps Base Commanding General, BGen Timothy Larsen in a letter that he wrote to the Texan.

"Finding this wallet during the renovation of the Foster Theater was a great opportunity to connect with a Marine who served here on Okinawa so long ago. It was a great pleasure to be able to return those items to their rightful owner after almost half of a century," the general said.

In his letter to the Marine veteran, the general wrote that these items gave a small insight into the day-to-day life of a Marine who served during Naranjo's time on Okinawa and compare it to life on Okinawa today. The experience has given today's Marines an opportunity to reflect upon the history of Marines on Okinawa.

Receiving a 'blast from the past' and the letter from the Commanding General, rekindled the esprit within the older Marine. Naranjo expressed his enthusiasm and thankfulness to all involved in the recovery of his possessions.

"Being in the Marines and stationed on Okinawa was some of the best times I've ever had - I'm still 'Gung-Ho,'" Naranjo said.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200371701429/$file/wallet.gif

Casimiro Naranjo III, a former United States Marine, lost his wallet at the age of 19 while serving on Okinawa, Japan. It was not seen again until this past May, when renovations to the Marine Corps Base Theater uncovered the wallet. It was found full of photos, an identification card, pawn slip dated Christmas day of 1957, an enlisted man?s club card and most notably ? a rations card signed by Capt. James L. Day, who received the Medal of Honor in 1998 for his actions on Okinawa in 1945.
Photo by: Gunnery Sgt. Kent Flora

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: