PDA

View Full Version : Is that you Jane Wayne? Is it me?

thedrifter
05-30-09, 04:46 AM
Is that you Jane Wayne? Is it me?

5/29/2009 By Lance Cpl. James W. Clark , II MEF

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — Two light armored vehicles lumbered past a group of eager observers who looked on as Marines disembarked and assaulted their objective.

The observers were wives of Marines and sailors from 2nd Supply Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, who participated in Jane Wayne Day, here, May 28, while their husbands are deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Jane Wayne day offered them an opportunity to gain a better perspective of what life is like for Marines and to see what their husbands do overseas, said Master Gunnery Sgt. Dennis L. Brunner, family readiness officer, 2nd Supply Battalion, 2nd MLG.

“I can tell you what it’s like each and every day, but unless you experience it, you won’t understand,” Brunner said.

During the day, the wives experienced some of what being a Marine entailed. They participated in classes including infantry tactics and weapons safety. They even fired a wide range of weapons on the indoor simulated marksmanship trainer.

Seeing what their Marines and sailors do to prepare for deployment and getting a taste of what they experience gave the participants an even greater appreciation of their Marines, said Lisa Wahlgren, a Marine wife who attended the event.

“I’ve done it before and had a lot of fun! It’s nice to have a chance to see what wives normally don’t get to,” said the Greenville, N.C., native as she gestured to a Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle behind her. “Just sitting in there, cramped and stuffy, makes you appreciate your Marine that much more.”

Ellie