PDA

View Full Version : Rock Pile, 1968

LONEEAGLE
07-17-03, 10:14 AM
:mad: I was E co 3rd Recon, Quang-tri. I remember the Rock Pile. We flew out with another team we got inserted above the Pile. They were about 4clicks from us the other team. We knew the NVA/VC had been in the area, as we went thru Mountain yard Village sites, and seen fires smoldering. We couldn't find anyone. It was so hot, and we had a scout dog with us. We found this most serene waterfall. We took turns cooling off in the crystal clear water. And drinking it. Of course having a6 man team was not the norm with me as a team ldr. It usually was four. But along with Doc, and the scout dog/handler we had six. My radio man, Joe Rufra said, "hey c'mere!!" I heard the screams of men recon Marines getting their A****killed one by one. I called in to go. I know after searching my soul for yrs, that I couldn't have gotten to them in time. All but one return. Then we encountered NVA, and got extracted. The story was, they walked into a Bn size unit of NVA and got hit hard with mortar's, machine gun fire. One Marine, don't remember their names (this is what really still haunts me) I trained with them in the World. This one, got a direct hit by a mortar, the team ldr killed, everyone scrambling to the dead radio operator's radio still working, and screaming for help, then silence. I talked to the L/Cpl who was shot up but a Sparrowhawk unit came in and got them. The pilot was shot, co-pilot, but made it to the ground. Chpr still going, this LCpl asked the crew chief to help him get the bodies. He was a coward. The Lcpl, from Montanna, still firing, getting shot at, hit four times, but nerver sent home, even with three hearts, carried each one that was dead to the chopper. One man hit direct by mortar, never found. He stayed out of combat for the remaining tour. Now if this had been an NCO/SNCO/Officer, and especially army, (nothing against Army or any in Nam, just the way it was) would've received a Medal of Honor. This kid got a Bronze star, no promotion. To this day he lives in Montanna, hasn't/won't see any other single person unless totally necesscary, and I know I have to find their names, because I can't let it go until I can say good-bye to them. I remember how we were laughin' jokin' around in flight. I can see their faces but can't put names to them. I want peace. Until I can say goodbye, this will always haunt me. I have been to the moving wall. I search and search my company roster which I got from Hdqr Marine Corps, Qunatico, and I can't find or recognize their names. I've contacted this young man in Montanna. He would not send me anything. I understand. The Rock Pile and Cam-lo were two of the worst places I was in, besides Kai Sahn, Ashau Valley, and a sweep in the Kaison valley with the 4th Marines. If anyone remember's back this far, it was sometime in 1968, where on the front page of the Stars and Stripes which I have a copy my ass't team ldr., Don, aka, spook, headlines, with a cig hangin' out of his mouth, "searching for the enemy" was on it. Peace my brother's whom I don't remember, and from where you are send me your peace. Semper-Fi

Frank
07-21-03, 02:11 PM
Big Eagle, sorry I can't help you with the Rock Pile. I was there two years prior, with Mike 3/4. Did you know Cpl Charles W. (Bill) Bryan in Bravo, 3dRecon? He was KIA on 881N in Jan68 while helping a wounded Marine. He was a high school friend, graduated and joined the Corps while I was in RVN...

Semper Fidelis, Frank

Kalbo
07-21-03, 03:37 PM
Big Eagle,

Try this link to search the Virtual Wall and then select Advanced Search. You can specify various information to search for.

http://www.thevirtualwall.org/search/search_index.htm

I found two matches base on your above information: LCpl, Quang-tri, 1968, USMC, From Montana, etc.

LIONEL RUSSELL CRASE
LCPL, MARINE CORPS
MISSOULA, MT
6/2/1948 - 4/7/1968

MICHAEL DAVID PADILLA
LCPL, MARINE CORPS
BILLINGS, MT
12/15/1948 - 4/20/1968

Semper Fi,
Bill

LONEEAGLE
07-22-03, 11:20 AM
Hey K, thanks, I'm searching my company roster, and doing the search. The one left, was Mark Kosterman, Polson Mt. That's as far as I will go right now, until it's the right time. I appreciate the help. God Bless. Eagle out

sjh4951
01-02-09, 09:47 AM
LONEEAGLE,
PLEASE CONTACT ME REGARDING INCIDENT AT ROCK PILE!!

THANKS,
SUSAN
SJHILL4951@CHARTER.NET

montana
01-02-09, 09:59 AM
i live between polson and missoula

DocGreek
01-02-09, 04:07 PM
Loneeagle....you've brought back some powerful memories!! I, was a Doc, with Lima, 3/3/3, in 69. We went up, and down Dang Ha Mt., and some time at Cam Lo, Con Thien, we lost some GOOD MARINES, that year!! NEVER FORGET!!.....SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

Papa Bear
01-03-09, 09:59 AM
Just found this site and read your post about "Club Med of the DMZ" better know as The Rockpile. Wish I could help you, but I was there long before you. I spent 33 days up there in October - November 1966. I have a lot of pictures taken from up there and some taken by Leatherneck and published in late 1966. My unit was on the East side of the Rock and had all the antennas & radio gear you could probably not figure out what it was used for. I'll share them with you if you e-mail me. "Papa Bea" S/Sgt U.S.M.C.

"All Wounds Are Not Visible"

jerryk
01-03-09, 10:42 AM
we had a f.o. team on top in dec.of 66 the battary was set up below was with charlie batry,1st.bn. 12th marines have a few pictures also from on top,we was fireing support for 3/3 in dec.of 66 ,mike company if i rember right

Papa Bear
01-03-09, 11:12 AM
I was on J.J. Carroll at the time, but would like to see what pictures you have, and I can share mine with you. Ted moparp2@earthlink.net

FistFu68
01-03-09, 11:52 AM
:evilgrin: MY COMPANY COMMANDER IN 68,WELL 1 OF THE MANY I HAD.WAS A MUSTANGO.HE WAS WITH A/CO/3RD RECON DURING YOUR ERA.HE WAS S/SGT.HOOVER R.E.!!!HIS TEAM WENT BY CALL SIGN HOOVERS HUNTERS.HE WAS IN BOOK 'BOUT 3RD RECON.HE CURRENTLY LIVES IN PENN.WELCOME HOME MARINE! SEMPER~FIDELIS~:usmc: :iwo:

Papa Bear
01-03-09, 01:47 PM
Thanks. The name does not ring any bells, but time will take it's toll on the memory. Most books written about Marine Recon Teams will mention other teams in the field called "Spooks". I've had one other Marine who was in battle below the Rockpile that I have spoken with over the years, and after a short period of time he just looked at me and said "You were a Spook, weren't you"? Welcome Home to yo as well. S/Sgt Dudley AKA "Papa Bear"

DocGreek
01-04-09, 11:21 PM
SSGT Dudley...Did I read your profile correctly? You served 12 years in The Corps, but didn't stay for 18, or 20.....how come? Some of us, SHOULD have stayed in......maybe our civilian lives wouldn't have turned out so CRAPPY!! WELCOME, to this site....happy to have you aboard!....SEMPER FI....Doc Greek

bootlace15
01-04-09, 11:54 PM
Does anyone know how the rock pile got its name,and who named it?

bootlace15 out

Papa Bear
01-05-09, 08:41 AM
I'm not sure how it got it's name, but it sure was the right name. I spent 33 days at "Club Med" on the DMZ. I have pictures from the top if you want to see them. Papa Bear

Tanker2141
01-08-09, 11:41 AM
I was with Bravo Co, 3rd Tanks at the Rockpile. I held the tank slot at the top of the hill on Rt. 9 from Sept. 67 to April 68.

Papa Bear
01-08-09, 01:32 PM
Tanker, I was up there in Oct & Nov 1966 with 1 Radio Bn. operating a PRD-1 . (Direction Finder) Since "Charlie" knew what & who we were, the higher we could get the better. The first KIA leading up to the war was a PRD-1 operator in 1961. I've got all the history if you ever want to see it.
I also have pictures of the exact spot where you & your tank were, taken from the top. If you remember, there were the remains of a white building just across the Cam Lo river from where you were. We used to get probed out of it in Nov 1966 and we were told that we could not direct any artillery or air support on it because it was a "House Of God". Whoever was in your position in Nov 1966 did us a favor and every day he would take another part of the building down. No Church, No Gooks, No Problem.

Tanker2141
01-08-09, 02:15 PM
PapaBear:

I would like to have the items you mentioned.

Email: MCVTHF@gmail.com

sjh4951
01-09-10, 08:40 AM
I wish I had known my other thread was deleted. Notification would have been helpful.

I'm looking for anyone from 3rd Marine Division, C Company, Force Logistics Command, who was involved in an ambush, sometime in 1968, at the Rock pile. At least two 0331's were killed in the convoy. If I'm remembering correctly that convoy consisted of only three trucks.

Thanks

HST
01-18-10, 03:01 PM
I was on a HST with 3/4 at the base of the pile in Oct/Nov 66. We called my LZ baldy and had a tank there with us. We had a relay station on top. A guy named Hriscko (Ox) was on top then. You guys used to toss gernads off all night. This was before they built the landing platform. I was on the top much later, about Aug. 67, I've got some pics of you guys with the rdf stuff. You would get the gooks locations and copy their traffic. If I remember, it was all morse. There was an arty FO down at the other end, a Lt and a Sgt. Remember the rock apes?

I'll go up in the attic and dig around. I know I've got the pics. I'll send them to you if you want to see them

Tanker, I was up there in Oct & Nov 1966 with 1 Radio Bn. operating a PRD-1 . (Direction Finder) Since "Charlie" knew what & who we were, the higher we could get the better. The first KIA leading up to the war was a PRD-1 operator in 1961. I've got all the history if you ever want to see it.
I also have pictures of the exact spot where you & your tank were, taken from the top. If you remember, there were the remains of a white building just across the Cam Lo river from where you were. We used to get probed out of it in Nov 1966 and we were told that we could not direct any artillery or air support on it because it was a "House Of God". Whoever was in your position in Nov 1966 did us a favor and every day he would take another part of the building down. No Church, No Gooks, No Problem.

Frank Thornton
05-25-10, 04:33 PM
I was with H & S Co., 3/3/3, in an 81 mm morter platoon. I was there from early 67 for about 3 months until my platoon got shipped to Camp Carroll.

My e-mail address is: Coldplus@aol.com

Riven37
12-16-10, 05:25 PM
http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/p/p351.htm

Lon Berryhill
12-23-10, 11:11 PM
Did you know a Rogers or a Manrique cpl/sgt while there?

radio relay
01-20-11, 07:47 PM
Thanks. The name does not ring any bells, but time will take it's toll on the memory. Most books written about Marine Recon Teams will mention other teams in the field called "Spooks". I've had one other Marine who was in battle below the Rockpile that I have spoken with over the years, and after a short period of time he just looked at me and said "You were a Spook, weren't you"? Welcome Home to yo as well. S/Sgt Dudley AKA "Papa Bear"They used to call us "spooks" too. Our radios with their 8ft parabolic dish antennas really looked out of place in the bush.

BTW I spent Christmas 1969, at a TRC-27 shot within spitting distance of The Rockpile, across Rt 9 ... Rain, mud, and artillery shells flying over head ... Merry Christmas

oldblinky
01-26-11, 08:39 PM
I was a corpsman on a CH-46 that went down just across the road from the Rockpile on (I think) 8 May 1968. Wonderful bird the 46. We were cruising along and one engine quit and the other dropped to 50% power. Col. Rick the squadron skipper was driving and brought us in right side up.

We were from SLF Bravo part of 9th MAB operating from the USS Valley Forge. Operating from the ship, we used the designated Medevac bird for routine stuff so we were always in the area if needed.

We were probably headed to LZ Stud which I think became Vandergrift Combat base just west of hill 512.

I was standing in line in Okinawa on the way home and spoke with a Corporal who saw us go down.

Papasan
02-20-11, 12:39 AM
In 1964 I was assigned to the MAAG/MACV, and spent many days and nights atop the "Rock" watching and listening, and drinking a few warm LaRue 33's :iwo::sick:

radio relay
02-20-11, 07:20 AM
I was a corpsman on a CH-46 that went down just across the road from the Rockpile on (I think) 8 May 1968. Wonderful bird the 46. We were cruising along and one engine quit and the other dropped to 50% power. Col. Rick the squadron skipper was driving and brought us in right side up.

We were from SLF Bravo part of 9th MAB operating from the USS Valley Forge. Operating from the ship, we used the designated Medevac bird for routine stuff so we were always in the area if needed.

We were probably headed to LZ Stud which I think became Vandergrift Combat base just west of hill 512.

I was standing in line in Okinawa on the way home and spoke with a Corporal who saw us go down.Yes, Vandegrift did become LZ Stud after it was turned over to the Arny. It was an Army artillery base in '70. Firing those big guns (105's and 155's, I think) into and across the DMZ. 5th Comm continued to maintain a TRC-97 microwave link there to call in for artillery support from the Army.

exnitro
02-20-11, 12:58 PM
I was one of the Marines onboard with BLT 3/1. The 46's would take us in and drop us off.
Glad you made it back.

oldblinky
02-20-11, 01:11 PM
Glad we got you out too. Hopefully it wasn't with me on the medevac bird.

HST
02-20-11, 01:59 PM
Were you on Buffalo- July 67?

I was one of the Marines onboard with BLT 3/1. The 46's would take us in and drop us off.
Glad you made it back.

exnitro
02-20-11, 02:11 PM
I had just got to Nam in July '67 at Chu Lai. Later in the year they asked for volunteers for a BLT so, not knowing what is was, a bunch of us volunteered. Went to Subic, got new uniforms, new M-16's, and then on board the Valley Forge and up to Cua Viet and more places I can't remember. I was one of the lucky ones, no purple heart. We lost a bunch of Marines thanks to a Bn.C.O. that would sit on the ship and give orders. He must have gotten wind of the bounty on his head and transfered out.

HST
02-20-11, 02:21 PM
I thought BLT 3/1 came in on Buffalo, maybe it was 1/3 by the time it was over, half the Corps was up there. I was on BLT 3/4 March 67 we went to Subic but they wouldn't let us off. We on either the Prinston or the Montacello, I can't remenber any more we re-fitted on Oky but we never got back aboard, they flew us back for Hickory

ggyoung
02-20-11, 02:29 PM
I thought BLT 3/1 came in on Buffalo, maybe it was 1/3 by the time it was over, half the Corps was up there. I was on BLT 3/4 March 67 we went to Subic but they wouldn't let us off. We on either the Prinston or the Montacello, I can't remenber any more we re-fitted on Oky but we never got back aboard, they flew us back for Hickory

HST You were probably on the Princeton as it was a LPH. I was on the Preston when I landed at what was to become Chu-Lai on 7May 1965.

exnitro
02-20-11, 02:35 PM
I was there for Badger Tooth, Badger Catch, Napoleon, Napoleon Saline, and more that I can't remember the names of. Last 30 days in Nam was at Da Nang.I couldn't live with all the spit and polish so I tried to extend for 6 months so I could get out of there, but, since I was married, they wouldn't let me. They said if I went home I wouldn't want to come back, They were right!

HST
02-20-11, 05:08 PM
It must have been but I remember we loaded out of dong ha on mike boats, I was still the disrespectful wise ass that I am now, they fed us before we left... they gave us real live oranges, we hadn't seen a real live peice of fruit for a long time and we scarfed them down. when we got out to the gulf we had to wait until we had 3 mikes to get into the well deck of the ship we were heading for... a lot of the guys started heaving, I was used to a lot of crazy chopper rides and it didn't hit me at first, I was sitting on the bow telling by buddies Puke you MFers and then it finally got to me..... I ain't saying no more but we transferred to an LPH at sea and the amtrackers that I also gave a lot of sh*t to goy their revenge. But that's the Corps.

HST You were probably on the Princeton as it was a LPH. I was on the Preston when I landed at what was to become Chu-Lai on 7May 1965.

exnitro
02-20-11, 05:23 PM
When we left for the BLT, we left Da Nang on some kind of boat for Subic Bay. It was either a LST or LSD, anyways it was flat bottomed. Two days of puking for every Marine. Got to Subic and sat down on the rack and was still rocking back and forth. :sick:

cyberghostx13
04-03-16, 02:39 PM
Well I arrived in DaNang via Continental Airlines in late April 1968. Flew immediately to Quang-Tri. Next to Rockpile. I just got my M-16 and had never even seen one before. Sighted in and fired first time at the Rockpile. I also got to fire a LAW that day. I also went on my first patrol from here slogging in a lot of water probably around the base of the Rockpile. I remember the M-60 gunner slogging in front of me and for a moment all I could see was his helmet above the water with outstretched arms and M-60 above high and dry.

ggyoung
12-25-20, 01:50 PM
Papa Bear the first Americans killed in Vietnam were "Earthquake McGoon" James B. McGovern and Wallace Bufford on 6May54. They were flying in a load of arty ammo into Dien Bien Phu in a C-119 flying boxcar. They were hit by enemy ground fire. This was a CIA run operation.

USMCLXV
01-14-22, 11:51 AM
When I'm looking back at Nam, I've found the virtual archive to be highly helpful. Here are the links, Semper Fi Marine:

vva.vietnam.ttu.edu/repositories/2/digital_objects/221601

recordsofwar [dot com]/vietnam/usmc/3rdReconBn.htm

Fill in the necessary stuff to complete the links.

HST
01-19-22, 05:01 PM
Long time to respond but better late than never. I was with 3/4 in Oct 66 learning the HST FAC trades. We were based just below the Rock Pile on a hill called Baldy with a tank.The whole battalion was around there and patrolling I went out with the FAC operator for about a month and then he rotated and i was on my own

radio relay
03-27-22, 11:27 AM
Spent three weeks at The Rock Pile 12/69, at a Marine trc-27 comm site right off rte9 near the gate of LZ Stud (formerly Camp Vandegrift). It was monsoon season, and the area around the mountain was literally a sea of deep mud.