PDA

View Full Version : LAT move to EOD before re-enlistment

usmceric
05-29-09, 06:29 PM
I am very interested in going to screen for EOD. My current MOS is 6531 (Aviation Ordnance). I just came back in after being out for 3 years. I am a Sgt. I have been in my current unit for about 7 months and am wanting out. Being out for 3 years in the civilian sector made me forget alot of the technical aspects of my job. I am up to speed now, but I don't think my superiors notice. They wanted me to come in and start running a crew right away. They even told me that they will be comparing me to the outgoing crew leader who was top notch at his job. I wasn't ready to run the crew, I wanted to learn my job again. I didn't feel comfortable telling junior Marines what to do on the aircraft when I wasn't sure what to do. I have learned and relied heavily on my senior Corporals.

We recently went on a boat det and they automatically put one of those Cpl's as the crew leader. I don't even have any quals yet, even though I have been asking my SNCO for for months. I know I can run a crew now, it just took me about 6 months to get back in the game. I was out for 3 years, and got out as a Cpl. I picked up Sgt. as a drilling reservist in a sqd that really didn't do anything pertaining to my MOS. So that put a bad taste in my mouth. Not to mention they are giving CDI qualifications to Lcpl's that they seem to like. Don't get me wrong. I like the guys in my shop, but I feel that the leadership has thier favorites and thats just the way it is. I have just learned that they are going to FAP me out to Corrosion Control. WTF!!

I have a basic idea of why. All of the senior Corporals are extending for this next deployment. They and the senior leadership are leaving as soon as we get done with this next pump. I think they are doing what the are doing to "make sure" the senior Cpl's will extend as none of them have signed thier paperwork yet. We rate 2 Sgt's. Both of us are getting FAP'd. One to QA and me to CC. We are both fairly new (6-7 months) to the shop.

I am sorry if I offend anyone with this next statement, but being in the wing does not feel like the "real" Marine Corps. Especially a fixed wing unit. We have no contact with the green side Marine Corps. Not like a helo unit, or even a Harrier unit. Now that we are on the boat, the Navy is trying to make us do everything the Navy way. Last time I checked, I joined the Marine Corps. Not the Navy.

I want the feeling I had while I was in boot camp and MCT. I want to feel proud that I a a Marine. That I am a fighter. I am proud to be a Marine. I love the Corps, but my situation has me questioning my career options. I don't have 2 years on station yet, and am already trying to find a way out.

Looking at the EOD MOS, I believe it is something I would love to do. I know the dangers of this job, but it is all relative. I have talked to several EOD technicians and believe them to be a very close knit group of people. This is what I am looking for. I am also a danger freak. I believe that we work best when our backs are against the wall. Besides I would love to blow stuff up.

I have never been in trouble in the Corps, no NJP's or page 11's. I always score 260+ on my PFT's. I have an expert rifle score, as well as good pro-con marks in service. I know my job now and what is expected of me, but it came to late it seems.

Bottom line is that it is my career. I need to find out what my options are. Thanks for listening to my rant.

thewookie
05-29-09, 06:40 PM
I am very interested in going to screen for EOD. My current MOS is 6531 (Aviation Ordnance). I just came back in after being out for 3 years. I am a Sgt. I have been in my current unit for about 7 months and am wanting out. Being out for 3 years in the civilian sector made me forget alot of the technical aspects of my job. I am up to speed now, but I don't think my superiors notice. They wanted me to come in and start running a crew right away. They even told me that they will be comparing me to the outgoing crew leader who was top notch at his job. I wasn't ready to run the crew, I wanted to learn my job again. I didn't feel comfortable telling junior Marines what to do on the aircraft when I wasn't sure what to do. I have learned and relied heavily on my senior Corporals.

We recently went on a boat det and they automatically put one of those Cpl's as the crew leader. I don't even have any quals yet, even though I have been asking my SNCO for for months. I know I can run a crew now, it just took me about 6 months to get back in the game. I was out for 3 years, and got out as a Cpl. I picked up Sgt. as a drilling reservist in a sqd that really didn't do anything pertaining to my MOS. So that put a bad taste in my mouth. Not to mention they are giving CDI qualifications to Lcpl's that they seem to like. Don't get me wrong. I like the guys in my shop, but I feel that the leadership has thier favorites and thats just the way it is. I have just learned that they are going to FAP me out to Corrosion Control. WTF!!

I have a basic idea of why. All of the senior Corporals are extending for this next deployment. They and the senior leadership are leaving as soon as we get done with this next pump. I think they are doing what the are doing to "make sure" the senior Cpl's will extend as none of them have signed thier paperwork yet. We rate 2 Sgt's. Both of us are getting FAP'd. One to QA and me to CC. We are both fairly new (6-7 months) to the shop.

I am sorry if I offend anyone with this next statement, but being in the wing does not feel like the "real" Marine Corps. Especially a fixed wing unit. We have no contact with the green side Marine Corps. Not like a helo unit, or even a Harrier unit. Now that we are on the boat, the Navy is trying to make us do everything the Navy way. Last time I checked, I joined the Marine Corps. Not the Navy.

I want the feeling I had while I was in boot camp and MCT. I want to feel proud that I a a Marine. That I am a fighter. I am proud to be a Marine. I love the Corps, but my situation has me questioning my career options. I don't have 2 years on station yet, and am already trying to find a way out.

Looking at the EOD MOS, I believe it is something I would love to do. I know the dangers of this job, but it is all relative. I have talked to several EOD technicians and believe them to be a very close knit group of people. This is what I am looking for. I am also a danger freak. I believe that we work best when our backs are against the wall. Besides I would love to blow stuff up.

I have never been in trouble in the Corps, no NJP's or page 11's. I always score 260+ on my PFT's. I have an expert rifle score, as well as good pro-con marks in service. I know my job now and what is expected of me, but it came to late it seems.

Bottom line is that it is my career. I need to find out what my options are. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Just make sure your heart is in it and realize you might get blown up if it isn't, or even if it is, it could still happen. I had a good friend go EOD and unfortunately, RIP, he was killed in Iraq trying to diffuse an IED.

I know sheet can happen to anyone.

Off the top of my head I think they require a higher PFT score then what you list, but that's nothing a quick month of good PT can't fix.

Good luck, you can get to the "real" Marine Corps by doing things other then EOD. Go to the Drill Field, try MSG or Marine Security Forces - take a break from swinging with the wing. Get outside of your comfort zone and challenge yourself, it's good for you.

usmceric
05-29-09, 06:49 PM
I was also thinking of Marine Security Forces. I have not heard alot about this. I cannot do MSG due to being married and having kids. Drill Instructor duty is something I may be abe to do, but I think it takes a certain type, and I question whether or not I am that kind of person. I am def not a recruiter type. I don't think I would make a good salesman.
I am very interested in Security Forces. Where can I find more information on this?

usmceric
05-29-09, 06:50 PM
I am sorry to hear about your buddy.

thewookie
05-29-09, 06:56 PM
I was also thinking of Marine Security Forces. I have not heard alot about this. I cannot do MSG due to being married and having kids. Drill Instructor duty is something I may be abe to do, but I think it takes a certain type, and I question whether or not I am that kind of person. I am def not a recruiter type. I don't think I would make a good salesman.
I am very interested in Security Forces. Where can I find more information on this?

You can PM me questions - I've been out a few but most of the basics are still the same. Also check the Battalions website to see what posts around the world/country are still available, plenty of Wingers go to the school and graduate. A few, if my memory serves me, worked there as Instructors. LOL - I just had a flashback...

Try this for some basics..

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usmc/mcsfbn.htm

http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/public/iimefpublic.nsf/UnitSites/mcsf

thewookie
05-29-09, 07:02 PM
You can PM me questions - I've been out a few but most of the basics are still the same. Also check the Battalions website to see what posts around the world/country are still available, plenty of Wingers go to the school and graduate. A few if my memory serves me, worked at the school later as Instructors.

Try this for some basics..

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usmc/mcsfbn.htm (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usmc/mcsfbn.htm)

http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/public/iimefpublic.nsf/UnitSites/mcsf (http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/public/iimefpublic.nsf/UnitSites/mcsf)

DocGreek
05-30-09, 05:37 AM
Trouble...on the horizon. FAMILY, and Combat...do not mix well. Crew Chief, on a "NON-FIXED WING" aircraft, might be a choice. Take the time to check EVERYTHING out, before falling on a MINE!!!.....DOC

Marine84
05-30-09, 06:29 AM
WOW! This is a first........an Ordie that doesn't like the Wing. I can understand wanting to go EOD though - I would have loved it cause, at the time, I had nerves of steel.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Supersquishy
05-30-09, 08:20 AM
Were you an airwinger before getting out? What was your MOS first? No offence but by the way you make excuses makes me wonder a little about your work ethics. Of course they are going to make the CPL "run the desk" especially if he/she has all the quals and is senior, since your a SGT with no quals(yet) they will have you do nothing. I KNOW! We had a sh1tbag SGT NO QUALS come in from a failed MECEP and we didnt let him do crap on our birds. All he did was whine and b1tch. He had every oportunity to study the pubs, work out on line with the PFC & LCPS to get the sign-offs for quals, he made no effort to even get Plane Captain! If you show that you are willing to the steps neccessary to get sign-offs they will look at you especially if you volunteer with the crap jobs, lead by example and you will get respect. I was a LCPL with a Plane Captain, CDI, low-turn Quals! Not only because they liked me, but I was a damn hard worker, and even though I didn't think they knew how hard I tried(they really did) they rewarded me later on towards the end of my enlistment. I was FAPd out to Lake Martinez 6 months of R&R Baby!!!!

About the green part of not being a "real Marine" I was in the Harrier squadron, and we didn't really see the grunt side, but we still were Marines, When your on the Boat and you whine about the Navy wanting for you to do it the Navy way, remember your on their boat! We did some things we didn't like, doing laundry for the CPO's etc so your not the only one.

I think you should think about doing your job and not think about the grass being greener on the other side....... My 2 cents

PS> You don't ask for quals, you work on them..........

ArtyOps
05-30-09, 09:41 AM
First, a good way go gain proficiency and get noticed doing it is to train your Marines. Train the living sh!t out of them. IOT train you need to know the info. Find a class you know you Marines can use and teach it. You can't teach it if you don't know it. And in teaching it you gain a better understanding.

Second, keep a positive mental attitude. If your Marines see that you are ****ed at being on a ship or being away from the "green side" then they will sh!t all over you. This will cause your superiors and peers to have to undermine your authority to keep your Marines in the right frame of mind. One of my best Operations Chiefs was a retread that came in after being out of the Marine Corps for 4 years and was admin before. He came back as a Sergeant and was in my MOS school two classes behind me. We ended up in the same unit where my NCO's were teaching him the same stuff they were teaching me. He knew he had things working against him 1. He was a Sergeant with the MOS proficiency of a PFC, 2. We knew it. He did everything we did. When we were in the field and our other Sergeants would watch us set up he was there with us learning the best way to do it. When one of us would make a mistake with something MOS related he would be there to help us find the answer and fix the problem. He was a true mentor and he kind of bridged the gap between us and the NCO's who had been there for a while. Two years later when I was a Corporal he was sent to MAOCC (Marine Artillery Operations Chief Course) and came back to us. He had surpassed our NCO's that were there before him. If he wasn't happy in his MOS we never knew it which leads me to...

Third, put EOD on the back burner because if you appear to focused on it your unit will see you don't want to be there. Focus on what you're doing now. Don't get me wrong, it's good to have goals and there is a time and place to let those goals be known. Fitness reports is one of them. Which leads me to...

Last, Focus on what your OIC says you need to work on. You have to have had a fitness report at the end of March right? What kind of constuctive criticism did your OIC give you? Don't just blow it off because he or she may be the one to sign you next fitness report.