PDA

View Full Version : Fights in boot camp

LokiPA
05-29-09, 05:17 PM
I have a question, any time you put tons of guys together in a situation of a lot of stress and very little control over themselves it's only a matter of time until two people talk **** to each other and become 'those guys' that don't like each other. I know how the Corps views integrity and bearing but what do you do if you're down there and another Marine recruit starts giving you sh1t?

What happens if two recruits fight? Do you get kicked out? Do the drill instructors just sit and watch?

NoRemorse
05-29-09, 05:23 PM
You guys end up being rack mates and sharing skivvies...

CH53MetalMan
05-29-09, 05:24 PM
Whenever two recurits fight, BOTH lose!

The D.I.'s will not stand around and watch.

Never put your hands (or feet) on another private, unless it is a part of your training.

echo3oscar1833
05-29-09, 05:30 PM

Or Brig Buddies:D. Now that would give a whole new meaning to the term to were in this together:D

LokiPA
05-29-09, 05:31 PM

Hahaha...are you being serious? Do they really do that?

NoRemorse
05-29-09, 05:31 PM
Or Brig Buddies:D. Now that would give a whole new meaning to the term to were in this together:D

LOL... sounds like a buddy program I don't want any part of :cry:

echo3oscar1833
05-29-09, 05:33 PM
Hahaha...are you being serious? Do they really do that?

You would be surprised what we do padawan.:D

thewookie
05-29-09, 05:39 PM
I had a little "fight" in boot camp - one day we had pizzed off the DIs good, it was a black flag day and we were already in the squadbay doing drill, so they made us push our racks into the center of the squad bay, then they dumped a few trash cans of water on the deck and they had us bust out our scuz brushes and play a little "Indy 500."

This is when recruits go round and round the outside of the squad bay bent over (but not on your knees) pushing your scuz brush through the water.

So, after about 200 laps or so, I'd tell you the time, but time is infinite in bootcamp and I couldn't begin to tell you how long we'd been at it,, but it was a good while - so this one kid, recruit Curran starts slowing the pack down by whining and getting on his knees. The DIs are having a blast and they dump a few more cans of water on the "track" while the recruits keep going round n round. Curran keeps crying and slowing the pack, eventually I lost it. I stood up and ran over to his position on the track and I screamed at him really bad (recruit Vernazzaro was pizzed) and then I pushed him and we started to wrassle a little before one of the DIs "broke it up."

I guess you could say we "fought."

That recruit was always kind of a whinner but that episode with me kinda woke him up, plus we gave him a blanket party that night, but he realized he was slacking and hurting the platoon. And he actually learned from the whooping he got and was a better guy the rest of the way.

I didn't really like that recruit much at the time, but in the end we all finished together and that's what mattered.

LokiPA
05-29-09, 05:46 PM
That recruit was always kind of a whinner but that episode with me kinda woke him up, plus we gave him a blanket party that night, but he realized he was slacking and hurting the platoon. And he actually learned from the whooping he got and was a better guy the rest of the way..

The DIs don't consider a blanket party a 'fight'?

thewookie
05-29-09, 05:49 PM

I guess if they found out about it they could - but it's done at night, after lights out, when justice within the platoon is delivered.

Recruits that screw up repeatedly during the day are dealt with during the night by the guide and squad leaders.

echo3oscar1833
05-29-09, 05:49 PM

Blanket Parties don't "happen". As far as the DI is concerned the he goes into the duty hut at night, and comes out in the Morning. Whatever happens, during the night, happens.

WKranz
05-29-09, 05:51 PM
they don't know, or at least pretend like they don't. They would encourage us to "fix" our problem recruits.

LokiPA
05-29-09, 05:51 PM
But the DI is going to want to know how the "partied recruit" got all those cuts and bruises...

echo3oscar1833
05-29-09, 05:53 PM
But the DI is going to want to know how the "partied recruit" got all those cuts and bruises...

Hell fell taking a pi$$. end of discussion. Trust me if its a platoon effort, it will be a platoon cover up.:D

thewookie
05-29-09, 05:54 PM

Don't get too dramatic here, this isn't the West Side Story, the purpose of a blanket party isn't to leave marks and bruises, it might happen, but the purpose is to make the recruit know that stupidity won't be tolerated.

The beat downs aren't so much of an all out "street" beat down, but more of a controlled thumping.

echo3oscar1833
05-29-09, 05:54 PM
Besides wtf are you worrying about this anyway. Are your going to get beat up in bootcamp. Worry about other things, like actually becoming a Marine.:evilgrin:

NoRemorse
05-29-09, 05:56 PM
The recruit fell out of the rack. Lesson learned. Stop trying to stir the pot, kid.

Fights happen they're either taken care of in house or taken up the chain. Don't try fvcking up the drill instructor's day cause you're gonna pay more for whatever he has to go through on your behalf.

Blues65
05-29-09, 05:59 PM
Maybe Boot Camps different today, the first evening after being assigned to a platoon the drill instructor gathered everyone in the Quonset hut and asked “Who’s the toughest SOB in the hut. Almost immediately, a tall heavy set (former army) guy sounds off “Sir Private Rupp”. the drill instructor tells him to step forward. Then the Drill Instructor finds the shortest guy in the hut and asks “can you kick Rupp’s a$$”? The Private says “Yes Sir”. The fight lasted only a few moments and after two or three punches Rupp fell to his knees and started crying. I don’t remember how long Rupp lasted but he didn’t graduate.

ameriken
05-29-09, 06:04 PM
they don't know, or at least pretend like they don't. They would encourage us to "fix" our problem recruits.

If a recruit is continually screwing up, the DI's will def encourage the platoon to 'fix' that recruit by punishing the rest of the platoon when he f-cks up. Instead of making the f-ckup do bend and thrusts or pushups, they'll let him stand there and watch while the rest of the platoon does them for him. If he continues to f-ckup, then comes the blanket party.

Steve0231
05-29-09, 06:24 PM
We had two guys get into a "disagreement" when I was at PI (Plt 3053...Ohh-Rah to all my 3rd Bn brothers!!) The Drill Instructors had the two go into the gear locker and told them they had three minutes to "figure out their differences." Kilo Co Justice...

Quinbo
05-29-09, 06:36 PM
I went to boot camp with two twin brothers. Great big guys that were also golden gloves boxers. One day they decided it was time to take out the guide literally. 5 or 6 drill instructors broke it up. Dumbasses jumped him on the grinder. We all fell out for drill while they got a little extra military instruction in the squad bay. Bout an hour of drill and we were told to go inside. Once inside we were told to go back outside for more drill. I had time to cop a glimpse of them both standing there on the quarter deck covered in sweat, holding their arms straight out with 2 m-16's balanced on them. The senior standing right there staring at them. That is definitely something you don't want to go through. Drop either of those rifles and I will drop you tough guy.

Fight breaks out and it is dealt with swiftly and severely. Everybody thinks they are a tough guy.

usmcmsf
05-29-09, 06:48 PM
If you want to be a Marine, you can't worry about a fight.

thewookie
05-29-09, 06:48 PM
Everybody thinks they are a tough guy.

Well said.:usmc:

commdog7
05-29-09, 08:14 PM
Not much different in the female platoons.

A few fights broke out in my platoon. Most of them occurred when the DI's were not around. I remember one fight that broke out, my DI got word of it and wanted to watch. She said something about she hoped recruit so-and-so's ass got kicked.

We had this one DI who would often talk to certain recruits about taking it upon themselves to 'fix' certain other recruits. I remember once in the pitt, a few of us were being IT'ed by this DI, and as we were pushing and going through all the exercises, she was calming talking to us about certain recruits in the platoon. Very casually, she was asking us why we think the platoon is fvcked up and what should we (as recruits) do to fix it. It was an open discussion, which was extremely rare especially during IT. Her intentions couldn't have been more obvious. If any mysterious marks were to appear on these certain recruits one day, I don't think she could have been more proud.

Semper Fidelis :iwo:

SGT7477
05-29-09, 09:03 PM
I have a question, any time you put tons of guys together in a situation of a lot of stress and very little control over themselves it's only a matter of time until two people talk **** to each other and become 'those guys' that don't like each other. I know how the Corps views integrity and bearing but what do you do if you're down there and another Marine recruit starts giving you sh1t?

What happens if two recruits fight? Do you get kicked out? Do the drill instructors just sit and watch?
You might end up sharing the same rack until you work out your differences,lol.:D

codeman92190
05-29-09, 11:25 PM
The Gunny in charge of my RSS told my buddy and I a story a bit ago... <br />
According to him, during his first few weeks at bootcamp (either during or right after recieving), he was in line for chow and...

echo3oscar1833
05-29-09, 11:40 PM
When in doubt never fuc$ with a Marines Chow:D

echo3oscar1833
05-29-09, 11:43 PM
And that would be Gunnery Sergeant, you havn't earned the right to say Gunny yet.

MLMonk
05-30-09, 12:05 AM
And that would be Gunnery Sergeant, you havn't earned the right to say Gunny yet.

Hell I think you have to at least be an NCO with a deployment or 2 to at least call them "Gunny". I know I definitely can't call them that.

echo3oscar1833
05-30-09, 12:20 AM
Hell I think you have to at least be an NCO with a deployment or 2 to at least call them "Gunny". I know I definitely can't call them that.

Depends on the Gunny, Ive had some that wanted me to call them Gunny, others that wanted to be called Gunnery Sergeant. Personal Preference I guess.:marine:

Lopez561
05-30-09, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but the Junior Marine that's been running our PT's said that his SDI was a former MMA fighter. Supposedly he gave 2 recruits who had problems 2 minutes alone under "the highway." If the losing recruit was losing really badly or if they were getting injured pretty bad then theyd break it up. Can any Marine back this up..?

echo3oscar1833
05-30-09, 12:25 AM
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but the Junior Marine that's been running our PT's said that his SDI was a former MMA fighter. Supposedly he gave 2 recruits who had problems 2 minutes alone under "the highway." If the losing recruit was losing really badly or if they were getting injured pretty bad then theyd break it up. Can any Marine back this up..?

As Im sure none of us were actually present for said event. Uhh no, go haze yourself:scared:

Lopez561
05-30-09, 12:49 AM
I didn't think so but I thought I'd pose the question anyways. This Junior Marine JUST got out of boot a few weeks ago. Anyways, hazing commenced.

codeman92190
05-30-09, 03:03 AM

I apologize, Lance Corporal Echo. He has us call him Gunny at the office so it's just what I know him by. Though, I suppose this isn't the place for colloquialisms.

Thank you for the heads up.

Rotella
05-30-09, 05:11 AM
Nothing to add except that this is without a doubt the most interesting/entertaining thread I have read since joining this site. Great stories to all Marines who shared.

SGT7477
05-30-09, 08:52 AM
I apologize, Lance Corporal Echo. He has us call him Gunny at the office so it's just what I know him by. Though, I suppose this isn't the place for colloquialisms.

If he let's it go it must be alright by him.:flag:

Wyoming
05-30-09, 09:22 AM
Nothing to add except that this is without a doubt the most interesting/entertaining thread I have read since joining this site. Great stories to all Marines who shared.

... and how would that be?

Rotella
05-30-09, 10:12 AM
... and how would that be?Heh, just like fight stories, sir.

commdog7
05-30-09, 12:33 PM
My platoon was never 'tight'. Normally the final week of boot camp, the recruits should be able to come together through team work and make the DI's proud. Well, not my platoon... we all hated each other the final 2 weeks. There were so many fights or arguments breaking out in the platoon, I think the DI's were asking themselves what the heck went wrong. The DI's hated us the final 2 weeks, our SDI hated us the most. She refused to talk to us, she called us the worst platoon on the island (I think she meant it)- she wouldn't even spend the last night with us. My final week was no fun at all.

The DI's attitude towards us reflected upon the platoon. Most of us were trying to hold ourselves back because there were certain recruits we really wanted to beat the crap out of. I personally thought the scribe needed to bleed a little, she was a snitcher who was the SDI's golden child- we all knew the SDI would have our ass if we ever did anything to her. Will all the fights going on, along with the contained anger, I thought for sure an all out brawl would erupt right after receiving the command 'dismissed' at graduation.

MCT was no different.

MrSnips
06-01-09, 05:05 PM
So it seems to me they treat it like men. If you get in a fight go at it for a bit and get over it. Take care of what needs to get taken care of and move the hell on.

Fubar5812
06-03-09, 02:46 AM
the thing is....bootcamp is like a reality show.

think "real world: parris island/san diego"

you get 80-90 males/females put them in a small squad bay,with 4-5 crazy men/women that are like demigods that can make or break your entire life in the blink of an eye and throw in a helping or two of drama and backstabbing with a sprinkle of stress.

you will witness fights,and you will probably have that "one guy/girl" that just NEVER gets it...we did.,and on the last night we spent all night,every hour on the hour flipping his mattress while he was sleeping,pouring water in his boots and on him and literally making a congo line to his rack while the guide/squad leaders held him down.

don't be the one.

rvillac2
06-03-09, 05:02 AM
So it seems to me they treat it like men. If you get in a fight go at it for a bit and get over it. Take care of what needs to get taken care of and move the hell on.

I'm actually surprised Lt. Isrowei hasn't chimed in here. Listen up, Poolees. Putting your hands on another Recruit is a no-no. Especially if you leave a mark. The officers will want to know who did it and will prosecute Marines accordingly. However, it's just like speeding; some get away with it.

The guide of my sister platoon was posing as a DI while we were in line for chow at Edson. He got into the face of my platoonmate in front of me and I told him to police his own platoon. Continuing to be a poser, he knocked my cover off and poked my forehead like a DI would. I lost my mind, shoved him off balance and tossed him several feet. This was a big gorilla and would have creamed me once we squared off. Luckily our platoons collided like the benches were cleared on a baseball field and I was spared what would have been an ass kicking. The DI's in the chow hall broke everything up and order was restored.
Later, my SDI had me standing tall in the duty hut asking me what the hell happened. After telling him, he said "he f__ckin touched you?" He stormed out of the hut, went to the other squadbay and proceeded to quarterdeck the guide for two hours. Now, normally, DI's are protective of their recruits and only a Senior could get away with IT'ing a recruit in another platoon. From that day on, the junior DI's in from the other platoon were looking to sweat me, too. Never happened.

0231Marine
06-03-09, 07:26 AM
We were all staged for our trip from MCRDSD to Edson Range and if you've done this movement, then you know how each platoon stacks their seabags in a perfect triangle prior to loading them on the trucks. Well it seems the D.I's from another platoon had instructed said platoon to try and knock over our sea bags once they were put up.

Well long story short, our D.I's knew about this order and told us to "defend" our sea bags to the death or else it was our ass. "Nobody comes and touches Platoon 2133's sea bags but us!" Well their guide was the first and last person to attempt to knock them over because he got a running start and got within about 10 feet of the pyramid when one of our squad leaders who happened to go on to make the Marine Corps Boxing Team stepped in and dropped him at a dead sprint right in his tracks with a right cross. It took 3 recruits from their platoon to pick him up and drag him back to their side of the sidewalk and we got an extra 10 minutes at the chow hall that first night at Edson range.

sbombard15
06-03-09, 08:00 AM
We were all staged for our trip from MCRDSD to Edson Range and if you've done this movement, then you know how each platoon stacks their seabags in a perfect triangle prior to loading them on the trucks. Well it seems the D.I's from another platoon had instructed said platoon to try and knock over our sea bags once they were put up.

Well long story short, our D.I's knew about this order and told us to "defend" our sea bags to the death or else it was our ass. "Nobody comes and touches Platoon 2133's sea bags but us!" Well their guide was the first and last person to attempt to knock them over because he got a running start and got within about 10 feet of the pyramid when one of our squad leaders who happened to go on to make the Marine Corps Boxing Team stepped in and dropped him at a dead sprint right in his tracks with a right cross. It took 3 recruits from their platoon to pick him up and drag him back to their side of the sidewalk and we got an extra 10 minutes at the chow hall that first night at Edson range.

Thats a cool story.

yanacek
06-03-09, 08:17 AM
I went through boot camp in 1978 and we did not have any fights or blanket parties. If you were a $hitbird, you were simply dropped from the platoon and recycled to a platoon that had more time to spend on Parris Island.

deBeer
06-03-09, 08:39 AM

That's sick. While fighting should be avoided at all times, does that happen much? Sorta like a battle of the platoons?

devildame
06-03-09, 08:56 AM

I thought that was the case (having you call him Gunny). He is doing you and fellow poolees a disservice, however, by encouraging you all to address him casually. Better to get used to calling Marines by the formal rank they rate, good habits go far and demonstrate professionalism.

Thinking on that- maybe recruiters want to act like a buddy to a poolee or potential poolee instead of a mentor. They are salesmen...

TJR1070
06-03-09, 09:14 AM
When we were at BWT on the night land navigation course I happened to get into a disagreement with one of the other recruits from my platoon, that recruit took his kevlar off and creamed me right in the face. Needless to say when I awoke from my brief nap I was bleeding pretty good from above my eye. I went with my partner and we exited the training area, once we got into view of the Drill Instructors they wanted to know immediately "How in the fvck did you manage to rip your face off?". I told them I fell while jumping over a creek and hit into a tree, they didn't belive me but they didn't press the issue either.

I was sent to Beuford NAS to the hospital to get stitches and was accompanied by a Drill Instructor from another platoon who called me Rocky all night and told me I was costing him rack time. He assured me the he would get that time back, while he laughed the entire time the Doctor was stitching me up. The recruit that I had the altercation with felt bad about his actions and apologized afterward and we wound up drinking togethet in Oki later. The Drill instructor that accopanied me to the hospital showed up in our squad bay three days before graduation to get those hours back. He dug me for about 45 minutes in the pit outside my barracks and told me to let that be a lesson on wasting NCO's time. Lesson learned!!

LokiPA
06-03-09, 09:42 AM
you will witness fights,and you will probably have that "one guy/girl" that just NEVER gets it...we did.,and on the last night we spent all night,every hour on the hour flipping his mattress while he was sleeping,pouring water in his boots and on him and literally making a congo line to his rack while the guide/squad leaders held him down.

don't be the one.

Damn man...that was the last night, he was graduating, so he improved didn't he? What did he screw up on so badly to deserve that?

Fubar5812
06-03-09, 04:34 PM
what did he do?

before graduation we packed EVERYTHING we where issued/owned and put it into sea bags and garment bags and stowed them next to the parade deck so after graduation we could GTFO ASAP only thing we kept where a pair of green skivvies and brown socks and all necessary items to graduate the following day in our charlies (modified with shooting badges) well recruit knuckle head FORGOT to keep a pair of green skivvies and socks to wear in cammies that day and later that night for firewatch so the guide and squad leaders all had to "dress him" with 1 shirt,1 shorts,and 1 sock from each squad leader. D.I's made him stand in front of the PLT wearing whitey tighties and a white shirt and eat his chow while we sat. then that night began.....

Quinbo
06-03-09, 08:14 PM
Did you all pack and stage your gear in the buff or what?

devildame
06-03-09, 10:05 PM
Did you all pack and stage your gear in the buff or what?

ha, I knew it!

Fubar5812
06-04-09, 03:27 AM
no. that was the whole point of having the skivvies so we had them to wear under our cammies and to sleep in.

Quinbo
06-04-09, 11:16 AM
I'm just gonna have to leave that one alone as the logic doesn't fit into my pea brain at all. I picture a bunch of recruits not wearing socks or underwear staging their gear.

Back to the fights topic. I honostly think my Senior put his career on the line by taking those two to the quarterdeck and sweating them vice running them up the flag pole and disking them a miss. They both graduated. We were his last platoon and he got out of the Marines as a Sergeant.

redman1
06-04-09, 06:48 PM
Fights in Boot Camp we had them.
I also had my Senior and another Drill Instructor beat me at the same time. No big deal and I got over it.
We also did blanket parties on boots that caused trouble.
Don't regret anything I was put through.
Semper Fi Redman1

LokiPA
06-04-09, 10:17 PM
I promise I am not 'stirring the pot' like someone was suggesting I was but all I want to know here is basically do I need to be mentally ready, do I need to expect fights with other recruits when the drill instructors aren't around? And if I do will I get in trouble if somehow I'm blamed for starting the fight?

If someone is punching and kicking me I want to know what I am allowed to do.

commdog7
06-04-09, 10:28 PM
I promise I am not 'stirring the pot' like someone was suggesting I was but all I want to know here is basically do I need to be mentally ready, do I need to expect fights with other recruits when the drill instructors aren't around? And if I do will I get in trouble if somehow I'm blamed for starting the fight?

Just do what you got to do. Don't go there looking to pick a fight, but if you are challenged, defend yourself.

NoRemorse
06-04-09, 10:28 PM

Who is someone? If it's another recruit you better coldcock his monkey ass right quick and get to the POA lickety split. If someone is punching and kicking you then you're allowing them to.

Drop them right then and there and go about your business, when ordered to report to the drill instructor you'll have figured out what to do if you've spent any time in training by then.

LokiPA
06-04-09, 10:47 PM
Just do what you got to do. Don't go there looking to pick a fight, but if you are challenged, defend yourself.

I wouldn't pick a fight of course, but I mean, is it like the 'prison gang mentality' where the guy who keeps to himself is the one who gets targeted all the time and beat up after lights out and you have to keep a 'reputation' so people will stay away from you?

I want to stay AWAY from fights in boot camp, thats why im asking these questions.

Lisa 23
06-04-09, 11:02 PM
I promise I am not 'stirring the pot' like someone was suggesting I was but all I want to know here is basically do I need to be mentally ready,

I can't believe that someone would ask if they need to be mentally ready.......
Look wannabes and poolees....going through Marine Corps Boot Camp is the toughest training you will ever go through both mentally and physically in your life. It's not some resort at Parris Island, and no.......there are no "gangs" either so you don't need a "prison gang mentality". The Marine Corps is a "brotherhood"....one big family, not a bunch of thugs who go looking for fights. Sure....when you put about 60-70 recruits together, there is going to be some bickering; just handle your problems with other recruits accordingly and if need be, with your Drill Instructors. Stop worrying about the small stuff and worry about getting through the tough daily grinds of Boot Camp, because if you don't graduate from Boot Camp, you don't become a UNITED STATES MARINE......plain and simple!

devildame
06-05-09, 03:07 AM
Ok. This thread is cracking me up. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT BOOT CAMP. Don't worry about fights. Once you graduate it doesn't even feel like it was that hard. I've had cross-country and track workouts that kicked my ass more than anything in bootcamp. Drill instructors will make you do all sorts of things that will seem useless, repetitive and stupid. Its is to teach recruits obedience and unity. They want to instill in you that the actions of one affect all. You will get smoked on the quarterdeck, in the sand pit, and any place that the drill instructors deem convenient, all for something that you or a recruit did or did not do. I saw a scuffle begin and everyone pulled them apart, the guide squashed it. You are all in it togther.
Take nothing personally. You are all there to train to become a United States Marine, and the drill instructors are there to train you to become one. The work is cut out. Just do as you are told, and if you don't have 'mental toughness' it will come. Be the strong one for those fellow recruits who get homesick, weak, and crack under the pressure of someone yelling in their face.

devildame
06-05-09, 03:08 AM
Also, Marines LOVE to tell boot camp stories, especially if they aren’t in anymore or in the first year after they graduate. Take it with a grain of salt and don’t be intimidated. Any Marine who is being honest will tell you that it would be harder to get dropped than to graduate. Check my signature; it sums up boot camp perfectly.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

charm1110
06-05-09, 03:44 AM
Fights in Bootcamp?? hell we get into fights here...it's the Marine Corps.!!
there may be fights within your bootcamp platoon just do your best to not be in one, pay attention to all instruction and don't screw up in Drill, or rifle range, don't run drop, don't give anyone a reason to target you, that means give 100% everyday and the rest will take care of itself

redman1
06-05-09, 04:50 AM
LASWMarine, Is your profile right? You were only in the Corps one year?
Semper Fi Redman1

Lisa 23
06-05-09, 08:07 AM
LASWMarine, Is your profile right? You were only in the Corps one year?
Semper Fi Redman1
To be exact....1 year and 6 months. I broke my ankle when I was in Okinawa and had some problems from that. I was able to do my full year tour in Okinawa.

Gerken
06-30-09, 10:39 PM
My Recruiter got in a fight with his platoon leader, he got severely IT'd for the fight but he ended up becoming the platoon leader.

MotivatedIzzy
07-04-09, 05:02 PM
My Staff Sergeant, Staff Sergeant Folkes told me that he got into a fight during Boot and he beat the other guy up the DI's came and IT'd them both and after the Drill Instructor told him Good Job haha