PDA

View Full Version : Vets stand proud as link to history

thedrifter
05-29-09, 05:11 AM
Vets stand proud as link to history

Tales are filled with courage, fear -- and lots of pride

BY NICQUEL TERRY and JOE ROSSITER
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

They flew on bombing missions across Europe, risking their lives each time they went airborne. They spent weeks in German prison camps under gruesome conditions. And they endured injuries in combat -- gunshot wounds and amputations. They represent a dying breed: Michigan's World War II veterans.

On Thursday, hundreds of them gathered at the Yankee Air Museum at Willow Run Airport to take a photo together.

Keith Famie, executive producer of the Wixom-based Visionalist Entertainment Productions, organized the event to honor the veterans and give them a chance to meet others who shared similar experiences.

Veteran Alex Roskowski, 84, of Chelsea was surprised by the large turnout.

"I haven't seen this many servicemen in a long, long time," said Roskowski, who served in the Army Air Forces.

"It's great to know that there are still so many alive."

Vets relive their old war stories

World War II veterans who gathered Thursday for a rare photo together proudly recalled their service. Here are some of their stories.

A reason to be proud

Donald Stevenson, 86, of Plymouth was a fresh-faced graduate of Cass Tech in Detroit when he joined the Navy in 1943.

He was assigned to a naval base in Maryland and was involved in radar research.

Donning Navy blues and sporting a good-conduct ribbon Thursday, Stevenson said: "When you wear this uniform, you walk proudly in it."

Terror in the sky

Robert Doty, 88, of Monroe enlisted in the Army Air Corps in 1942 and flew in 30 combat missions across Japan.

In 1945, he was flying with a crew across Kobe when a kamikaze bomber spotted the aircraft. With no guns or ammunition, the pilot decided to fly into what appeared to be a cloud.

Doty said it turned out to be a cloud of smoke that shook the plane and tossed the soldiers.

"That's a moment you don't want to relive," he said.

Friend of the wounded

Detroit native Dorothy White of Tavares, Fla., was one of the few flight nurses to attend Thursday's event.

From 1943-45, White flew each day to pick up injured soldiers and deliver them to hospital units across Europe.

White, 88, said she patched up bloody wounds and amputations during the flights.

"Our job was to keep them alive," White said.

Prison camp survivor

William Provonsha, 86, of Erie was in the Air Force from 1942 to 1945.

He flew in several bombing missions across Europe. In 1944, during his last mission in Berlin, Germany, troops shot down his plane, captured his crew and placed them in prison camps.

He said the conditions were gruesome.

"I'm just proud of my service," Provonsha said. "I was fortunate to come out as well as I did."

All in a day's work

Alex Roskowski, 84, of Chelsea served from 1943 to 1945 as an engineer and turret gunner aboard a B26, which he referred to as "widow makers."

He flew 72 missions throughout the European theater during the war and was involved in D-Day runs, as well.

"I feel good that I did my job, and I was proud to do it," Roskowski said.

Experience wasn't all bad

Col. Anthony Boland, 87, of Plymouth served in the Army Air Corps during the war as a bombardier and navigator aboard a B17. Stationed out of Molsworth, England, he said he flew 35 bombing missions over Germany.

"There were a lot of memorable experiences during the war -- both good and bad," he said. "Personally, I enjoyed it. I did my job, made many friendships and served my country proudly."

Witness to history

Dominic Bologna, 85, of Livonia fought numerous battles in the South Pacific, including Iwo Jima, while in the Marine Corps from 1943 to 1946. He said he witnessed the historic raising of the American flag by Marines on the island.

"That was a proud moment," he said. "After sleeping in foxholes for days, fighting constant battles and missing your family, it was nice to see a welcome sight."

Ellie