PDA

View Full Version : Marines offer heartfelt farewells

thedrifter
05-29-09, 04:56 AM
Marines offer heartfelt farewells
Support Platoon Company C, 6th Engineer Support Battalion leaves to begin training for tour in Iraq

By ANDY KRAVETZ
of the Journal Star
Posted May 27, 2009 @ 09:08 PM
Last update May 27, 2009 @ 10:35 PM
PEORIA —

Justin Beneventi will miss the usual things during a nearly yearlong stay in Iraq - family and friends - but he also added one more thing - Buffalo Wild Wings.

"I love Buffalo Wild Wings. If they had an egg-flavored wing, I'd eat it," joked the Pekin man just before he and 15 other Marines from Support Platoon, Company C, 6th Engineer Support Battalion left Wednesday afternoon to begin their training for a tour in Iraq.

The 20-year-old Beneventi, now a lance corporal, joined the Corps two years ago because he wanted to serve his country. Now that chance has arrived, and he said he's "excited."

"I get to protect the country and everyone in it, including my friends and family," he said, with a broad smile on his face.

The Marines will join the Combat Logistics Battalion 26, part of 2nd Marine Logistics Group, based at Camp Lejeune, the Corps' largest base on the East Coast. The reservists are mostly truck drivers and operators of construction equipment such as bulldozers. At Lejeune, they will receive additional training for several weeks before heading to Iraq.

A day before, five Marines, also from Support Platoon, left for Lejeune as well. They will link up with 2nd Maintenance Battalion, also part of the 2nd MLG, at Lejeune. Those Marines are primarily motor vehicle operators.

Both groups are expected to spend between seven and nine months in Iraq before returning home.

As before, members of the American Legion Auxiliary were on hand to provide the Marines and their families with customized pillow cases that had a photo ironed onto each one. Vickie Eckhardt of the Auxiliary noted that to gain membership into her group, one must be a blood relative of a person who has served in the military during a major conflict.

Given that, she and others could empathize with the families who were seeing their brothers, boyfriends, husbands and sons leave.

This deployment didn't have the large crowds or the big buses pulling out of a parking lot. There weren't politicians or top commanders lauding praise upon them. Rather, it was their friends, family and fellow Marines who were there to see them off in an intimate and personal way which underscored the sense of the unknown for many.

"I'll be glad when this year is over," said Jessica Talbott, whose boyfriend, Lance Cpl. Brian Coakley, was leaving for his first deployment to Iraq.

Across the way, Beneventi's mother, Tammy, said she was scared but "proud of her son for living up to his obligation."

Coakley, 21, who is from St. Joseph, just east of Urbana, said he was looking forward the deployment as he enjoyed the company of the other 15 Marines. He was proud to do his part and to serve his country. The added bonus of additional pay for being in a combat zone, he quipped, didn't hurt.

Gunnery Sgt. Jason Barrington, himself an Iraqi War veteran and also of Support Platoon, gave his Marines last-minute advice.

"I told them to look out for each other, listen to the Marines who have been there before and to come back safely," he said.

In addition, 46 Marines, also from Company C, will report to active duty in early June and spend about a month training here before going to Camp Pendleton, the Corps' main West Coast facility. There, they will join 7th Engineer Support Battalion and deploy to Afghanistan at some point.

Andy Kravetz can be reached at 686-3283 or akravetz@pjstar.com.

Ellie