PDA

View Full Version : 2nd MAW Stresses Suicide Prevention: Speakers Provide Insightful Stories

thedrifter
05-29-09, 04:39 AM
2nd MAW Stresses Suicide Prevention: Speakers Provide Insightful Stories

5/28/2009 By Cpl. Doug Payne , Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINT, N.C. —2nd Marine Aircraft Wing recently hired suicide prevention speakers to assist with mandated suicide awareness training at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point’s theater, May 21.

A first-hand account was given by Kevin Hines, a public speaker with Living Mentally Healthy, who has struggled with a condition known as manic depression with psychotic features. Symptoms of the disorder include bouts of depressed episodes alternating with an abnormally elevated mood known as mania and a reduced contact with reality.

He described a troubled childhood, his adoption into a loving family and the onset of his disorder late into high school.

Over the years, Hines struggled with auditory and visual hallucinations, which were often self-demeaning, leaving him feeling as though he was worthless and a burden on his family.

Eventually, Hines’ hallucinations lead him into a suicide attempt; jumping off of the Golden Gate Bridge.

A realization of the consequences of his actions caused Hines to reorient his body during the fall.

The fall shattered two of his vertebrae, immobilizing his legs. Hines barely managed to get to the surface of the water, where he was kept afloat by the nursing instincts of a local sea lion and fortunately rescued by the Coast Guard.

Hines said the experience helped him realize he had no wish to die -- that his hallucinations had gotten the better of him. Seeing the anguish in his loved ones over his near-fatal incident, he decided to get serious about treatment.

“The treatment plan that worked best for me was talk therapy, medication, exercise, a healthy diet and sleep,” said Hines. “If you have a treatment plan, comply with it 100 percent. I was in denial about my disorder for eight years and in one year I was able to take control of it.

“One thing my father always told me was, ‘Kevin you are in two feet of water and you are drowning, stand up,’” Hines said. “When you are ready, get out of the two feet of water and fight for your well-being.”

Daniel J. Reidenberg, the director of Suicide Awareness Voices of Education said Marines should never try to downplay or hide the emotional symptoms they experience. He stressed the Marine Corps does not want to ostracize those with symptoms, but wants to come to their aid and provide moral and clinical support. He said the most effective thing a Marine can do if they think someone is suicidal is ask a direct question, and include a fatal element.

“It can be as simple as asking, ‘Have you been thinking of killing yourself?’” said Reidenberg. “If they haven’t, it is my experience that they will say so, or if they have they will tell you about it.”

Reidenberg also said indirect signs like the mentioning of worthlessness or giving away personal items should be given the same level of attention.

“The purpose of this event was to provide suicide prevention and education training,” said Reidenberg. “We want every Marine to know what to do to keep their buddy alive. We also wanted to provide a first-hand account, to teach the Marines the warning signs and show them why it is so important to understand these conditions.”

Ellie