PDA

View Full Version : VMAQ-1 Honored with Chesty Puller Award

thedrifter
05-29-09, 04:31 AM
VMAQ-1 Honored with Chesty Puller Award

5/28/2009 By Cpl. Doug Payne , Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINT, N.C. — Marine Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron 1 was presented with a great honor, May 18, in a ceremony at the squadron’s hangar.

The ceremony celebrated their nomination as the recipients of the Lieutenant General Chesty Puller Outstanding Leadership Award, Small Unit Citation.

Lt. Gen. Dennis J. Hejlik, the commanding general of 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force, presented the squadron with the award.

“It was an absolute honor for our squadron to receive this award,” said Lt. Col. Shane B. Conrad, the VMAQ-1 commanding officer. “The Marines in this squadron are awesome. I’d like to say I was surprised at our nomination, but I wasn’t. These Marines have dug down and given me 100 percent every day of my command here.”

During the ceremony, Hejlik stressed the significance of the award. He said the criteria for the award covered the gambit of the Marine Corps, like the number of non-judicial punishments and other offenses, operational readiness, reenlistment rate, family readiness and more.

Hejlik said everyone from the commanding officer down to the squadron’s most junior private helped to secure their nomination.

“Everyone in this squadron, every single Marine, was responsible for this award,” said Hejlik.

“Lt. Gen. Hejlik’s comments impressed me,” said Conrad. “I’ve seen many generals speak, but never before have I seen a three-star talk so personally. He talked to them on their level, man-to-man. You can really tell when someone is speaking from their heart and I know he really left his mark on the Marines with all his comments.”

Conrad also said he was proud to have his squadron equated with such an iconic individual as the award’s namesake.

“When you think of a Marine, you think of Chesty Puller,” said Conrad. “He epitomizes our character and work ethic. To receive something like this with his likeness is truly amazing.”

Ellie