PDA

View Full Version : Drill In Boot Camp

BGW
05-28-09, 03:47 PM
I tried searching for anything that had anything to say about the drilling in Boot Camp but I was unable to find anything good.

So any way as the ship date draws nearer I begin to think more of everything that I will have to do in Boot Camp and what I need to qualify for in order to graduate and all that good stuff. But I believe that I am going to have the most trouble with the drills.

Been watching quite a few videos on youtube that has some boot camp drills. Honestly I do not understand any of the Drill Instructors at all, its just noises. But what really gets me is that the recruits seem to follow it flawlessly. For example this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6_IIqY0WNs&feature=related

Tried listening to that certain command where all the recruits know when to all turn at the same time towards the guy with the camera. Drill will most likely be something that I will dread everyday, that is not how it should be in boot camp. I have a feeling that I am going to be one of those "guys" who do not get drill.... Any of you guys have something to say about it? Perhaps it will just come naturally after a couple of weeks? I do not know

thewookie
05-28-09, 03:54 PM
I tried searching for anything that had anything to say about the drilling in Boot Camp but I was unable to find anything good.

So any way as the ship date draws nearer I begin to think more of everything that I will have to do in Boot Camp and what I need to qualify for in order to graduate and all that good stuff. But I believe that I am going to have the most trouble with the drills.

Been watching quite a few videos on youtube that has some boot camp drills. Honestly I do not understand any of the Drill Instructors at all, its just noises. But what really gets me is that the recruits seem to follow it flawlessly. For example this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6_IIqY0WNs&feature=related

Tried listening to that certain command where all the recruits know when to all turn at the same time towards the guy with the camera. Drill will most likely be something that I will dread everyday, that is not how it should be in boot camp. I have a feeling that I am going to be one of those "guys" who do not get drill.... Any of you guys have something to say about it? Perhaps it will just come naturally after a couple of weeks? I do not know

Wait till you get there or you'll end up jacked up and marching like Frankenstein.

Don't worry if you "don't get it" you'd be surprised how much pain helps you improve and "get" all sorts of things especially drill.

Amazing thing about bootcamp and close-order-drill is about halfway through bootcamp when you see/ are among 60 or so guys that "get it."

commdog7
05-28-09, 04:03 PM
Don't worry about drill, the Drill Instructors will teach you everything you need to know. They get all types of recruits: ones who have learned nasty habits in Army/Air Force/Navy JROTC and even ones who never drilled a day in their life. The DI's turn them all around into squared away Marines capable of performing drill moves flawlessly.

The DI's will work with you if you have problems, although do not expect individual attention other than getting yelled at and sent to the pitt. I remember my DI had the whole platoon do 'to-the-rear, march' over and over for about 45 minutes to an hour because one recruit could not get it right. You will learn because they will teach you.

JWDevilDog
05-28-09, 04:14 PM
You will be lost in the sauce at first, just like everyone else. But it won't take much time for you to understand the drill movements, and to be able to decipher what the Drill Instructors are saying. You will have no choice but to understand.

BR34
05-28-09, 04:17 PM
10 points for originality.

CplGiraffe
05-28-09, 04:19 PM
It will probably help in understanding what they are saying once you know what you are listening for. :thumbup:

JWDevilDog
05-28-09, 04:24 PM
Also, after a little while, you will know instinctively what feet things are supposed to be called on. For example, if you've been in boot camp for a few weeks and one of your DIs calls a command on the wrong foot (it sometimes happens), then your body will know and will adapt accordingly.

One time my Senior called a command on the wrong foot (just happened once), this was in the first week. We didn't know what to do, so we kind of stopped. He actually admitted that he made a mistake, and got down and started pushing on his own accord. He then promised that it would never happen again, and told us nastys to not get too comfortable with a DI pushing. He had great integrity.

dizark
05-28-09, 05:32 PM
You'll start out marching slow and then progress into normal marching. Lots of recruits I was with hated drill. I enjoyed drill, except when you do it over and over and over and still are being belittled for mistakes. This will continue until final drill is over.

Enjoy!

MLMonk
05-28-09, 06:26 PM
I hated the countless hours into drill, I knew most of the drill stuff since I was in NJROTC, but the DI's teach you the Marine way and got out all the imperfections I had.

ameriken
05-28-09, 06:48 PM
But I believe that I am going to have the most trouble with the drills.

Nothing to worry about at all. In the beginning everyone has trouble with drills. In short time, you'll be amazed at how the DI's turn it around. Everyone 'gets it' and you will too. Believe it or not, I think drilling is was one of the things I enjoyed most about boot camp. Watching and listening to 80 guys whose heels hit the pavement at exactly the same time. Or seeing another platoon from a distance and watching this rectangle of men move in perfect synchronization. This is part of the development of the 'green machine'.

Relax....there will be a whole helluva lot of other things to worry about in boot camp and you may find drilling to be a welcome break from those.

GavinL91
05-28-09, 07:41 PM
I cant wait to do the pugil sticks when i go.I play defensive line and cant wait to crack some heads and put somebody on their ass.

benw2200
05-28-09, 10:58 PM
You'll do movements so many times that it'll become second nature- of course you'll screw up, but learn from your mistakes and pay attention, pretty soon you won't even have to think. The problem I actually had, especially with rifle drill, was that I'd get so bored doing the same stuff over and over agan, and I'd doze off and start thinking about girls back home.. then BAM! DI throws a left shoulder at us, instead of present arms or whatever we were working on. In civilian speak.. 79 recruits do one thing, I do another. Of course then it's time for a motivating quarterdeck session..

BGW
05-28-09, 11:17 PM
thank you all for your words of encouragement. I now do not feel like Drill is something to be feared. I am excited and looking forward to boot camp.

echo3oscar1833
05-29-09, 01:25 AM
thank you all for your words of encouragement. I now do not feel like Drill is something to be feared. I am excited and looking forward to boot camp.

Were you not looking foward to it before hand. Hmmmm Hipty Hop Mob Stop. Bends and Thrusts now :D

BGW
05-29-09, 05:36 AM
Were you not looking foward to it before hand. Hmmmm Hipty Hop Mob Stop. Bends and Thrusts now :D

Well I was looking forward to it, just that I was not all that excited about it before. Things have now changed for the better, that I do believe so. :)

BR34
05-29-09, 05:58 AM
I cant wait to do the pugil sticks when i go.I play defensive line and cant wait to crack some heads and put somebody on their ass.

What the hell does playing defensive line have to do with pugil sticks? Go ahead, impress me some more.