PDA

View Full Version : San Clemente man tees up golf-gear donation for returning Marines

thedrifter
05-28-09, 07:40 AM
San Clemente man tees up golf-gear donation for returning Marines
By FRED SWEGLES
The Orange County Register
Comments | Recommend

If Marines returning to Camp Pendleton from war zones in Iraq or Afghanistan feel like teeing off as part of their reintroduction to life at home, Don Glasgow of San Clemente has some golf clubs they can use.

Dozens of them – drivers and putters.

Thanks to the generosity of the South County golfing community, Glasgow is donating 52 complete sets of golf clubs, plus dozens of other clubs, more than 5,000 golf balls and all sorts of other gear for use by Camp Pendleton personnel.

He has collected the gear in the past month or so, based on a simple idea that mushroomed.

"This collecting golf clubs idea all began late in April by accident when I asked my golfing partners about the golf gear in their garages that they may want to give up for our Marines," Glasgow said. "Well, one thing led to another and another and another."

Glasgow asked players at Talega Golf Club, where he plays. He asked in his neighborhood, the Gallery at Talega. He asked church friends. "The reception I received from everyone was totally positive," he said.

He printed a flier. "I posted it up wherever I could and gave it to all the local golf clubs," he said. "I called on every golf-club manager in the area, all golf-store managers and others in the golf business. Word of mouth began to spread about the idea. Things happened fast.

"Everything is now sorted, cleaned and placed in golf bags. It looks remarkable. Most of what I have is in excellent condition. I have bundled the odd clubs such as drivers, wedges, putters and the like. I have a lot of golf gear."

WHY DO IT?

The golf donations will come as no surprise to those who know Glasgow. In April he was among seven San Clemente residents honored by the city for volunteerism.

This spring he served as a coordinator at Carnival Colossal, selling booth space that helped the San Clemente Parks Foundation raise $25,000 for community park amenities. He is a volunteer for the Sept. 5 San Clemente Jazz Festival to raise further funds for the park foundation's efforts.

"I am one who loves doing what I can for others in my community," Glasgow said. "I am retired from department-store and specialty-store retailing. I do meaningful volunteer work as often as I can."

WHAT'S NEXT

"My Camp Pendleton Marine contact person is facilitating the turnover of my golf collection to the proper responsible group that will make good use of it for Marines returning from deployment," Glasgow said. "A time and date is to be determined. I hope it is soon, because I need my garage back."

Contact the writer: fswegles@ocregister.com or 949-492-5127

How much golf gear?

46 right-handed complete 14-club sets with 32 bags

6 left-handed complete 14-club sets with 4 bags

31 right-handed odd drivers

10 right-handed odd putters

16 left-odd clubs

2 right-handed juniors' sets plus 3 odd putters

85 dozen (1,020) boxed golf balls

3,000-plus assorted loose golf balls

1,000 assorted loose range golf balls

3,000 tall golf tees