PDA

View Full Version : Military police at the brig packed with Gung Ho

thedrifter
05-27-09, 06:10 AM
Military police at the brig packed with Gung Ho

5/26/2009 By Sgt. Judith Carver , Marine Corps Base Quantico

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. — Marines are taught to work as a team from the minute they step off the yellow footprints in boot camp. This team work, which builds upon the camaraderie amongst Marines, is always present, yet some bring out the gung ho attitude more than others.

Staff Sgt. Curtis J. Lee, the physical security chief for the brig, and Cpl. Jeffrey D. Siler, the special quarter’s non-commissioned officer for the brig, recently received Gung Ho awards.

“The term gung ho, meaning working together, is just part of who Lee is as a person and Marine,” said Gunnery Sgt. Robert A. Lien, Lee’s faculty advisor during the career course. “His hard work and can-do attitude impacted his classmates daily.”

For this former drill instructor, a positive attitude during the course was a must in order to have fun.

“I didn’t expect it,” said Lee, when asked if he was surprised to be nominated for the award. “I thought it was pretty cool that those guys thought that about me.”

Leadership by example goes far for the Marines that Lee works with at the brig on a daily basis.

“I feel like if I set a positive emotional example maybe the Marines will have a better day,” said Lee. “Working here is not very pleasant, it’s a grind for some Marines. It can bust on their morale pretty quick, and a negative attitude coupled with that environment can get pretty rough.”

The faculty advisors at the Staff Non-commissioned Officers Academy work closely with the students throughout the course.

“For the record, Staff Sgt. Lee was always motivated to be here furthering his education in numerous Marine Corps subjects,” said Lien. “In turn, his motivation encouraged his fellow staff sergeants to continue on, regardless of the situation.”

The recipient of a Gung Ho award is always voted on by fellow students.

“I didn’t expect it,” said Siler. “I thought for the two week course they weren’t going to have that (award).”

For Siler, being the lowest ranking and youngest service member at the Inter-service Nonlethal Individual Weapons Instructor Course, he didn’t anticipate getting the award with a class full of staff non-commissioned officers and officers.

Correspondent: judith.carver@usmc.mil

Ellie