PDA

View Full Version : $80,000 scholarship

LHMHMOM
05-26-09, 03:47 PM
My son leaves for boot camp on June 15. He received an $80,000 scholarship from the Marines but I'm not sure why. I assumed it was something that all of the kids joining receive but I work with a Marine Mom and her son didn't receive a scholarship. Does anyone have any idea what this means? His recruiter told us a year ago that if he went to college while in the Marines it would be paid for. Is that what the $80,000 is for or is that in addition? Why does he need additional money if everything is already paid for? I know, I need to call his recruiter, but he is so funny about me getting involved these days...

Jensen139
05-26-09, 03:50 PM
I think he is talking about the GI Bill. College is paid for during your active duty service however from what I have read it can be really hard to do both depending on your MOS.

LHMHMOM
05-26-09, 04:44 PM
I thought that at first too. But this was awarded to him at a special ceremony that the school holds for graduates receiving special awards and scholarships. The Marine Mom who I work with said this is not something that her son received so I don't think it's the GI Bill. Don't they all receive that?

thewookie
05-26-09, 08:34 PM
$80k - is he going to a rocket scientist? I think they are the only ones who get the 80K bonus.

Hodgesml
05-26-09, 10:21 PM
Wookie, I haven't quit laughing at the Rocket Scientist remark YET. That was funny I don't care who you are!!!!
No offense just the thought of a Marine Rocket Scientist is kind of scary. (In a good way!!!) I don't know anyone that got 80,000, Or even close to it.

thewookie
05-27-09, 07:13 AM
Okay, sorry Mom, gigs up I was being sarcastic......;)

Last time I checked we didn't have to pay like the Army to recruit kids?

If he gets that money promised to him be careful for what they are asking for......that's a lotta cha-ching for nobody who's done nothing,, no offense, but I think big ole bonuses should be going to the boots on the ground with experience,,,, but that's the end of my rant.

LHMHMOM
05-27-09, 08:24 AM
It's not a bonus. He's going infantry and they told him he would get a bonus but this is a scholarship. I talked to my son last night and there are two others that he is graduating with that have also joined the marines. My son said they also received the $80,000 scholarship so maybe it is the GI Bill. Next time we are with his recruiter I will ask.

No need to apologize Wookie, I love the sense of humor here!! It has helped keep me sane while waiting for him to leave. I don't get any work done because all day I'm in here reading the humor and I love it!!!

thewookie
05-27-09, 08:44 AM
It's not a bonus. He's going infantry and they told him he would get a bonus but this is a scholarship. I talked to my son last night and there are two others that he is graduating with that have also joined the marines. My son said they also received the $80,000 scholarship so maybe it is the GI Bill. Next time we are with his recruiter I will ask.

No need to apologize Wookie, I love the sense of humor here!! It has helped keep me sane while waiting for him to leave. I don't get any work done because all day I'm in here reading the humor and I love it!!!

Just get a copy of whatever they are offering and make sure you understand the front and back end obligations, and when and where who will release the money based on what and why.

Scholarship, bonus, grant, meal ticket, anything. Look it over good.

Good luck, keep asking questions - the best scenario is another Mother in here having the same scenario, so by keeping this thread alive I have indirectly bumped it along. And I think I'm cool, but really I'm a loser stuck inside on my vacation week because it's raining really hard outside. But the fish are calling me..and I need to toughen up :yes:

usmcholmans
06-12-09, 11:25 PM
As a general rule for recruits and bonuses, etc. - remember, if it ain't on the paperwork at MEPS when he ships, it ain't, period. As for the G.I. Bill deduction, it is something that is deducted from his pay from the get-go...if he doesn't sign up for the deduction from Day 1, he won't get it. But no worries, the Drill Instructors will make him. They have everything down to an exact science, believe it.

usmcholmans
06-13-09, 10:44 AM
Marines, I realized this morning that perhaps I ought not to be running my NC suck on threads asking for info like this, so if I'm out of line, I'll STHeckU.

Thank you, and I'm sorry. *ack* :nerd:

LivTooley
06-18-09, 12:21 AM
My son's recruiter told me this... bonuses are not given to new recruits. They are given to re-enlistee's.

From what I have gathered, the GI bill went up quite substantially. It doesn't go on the contract because all recruits get it automatically. It is $80,000.00

From my experience in the Army, we also got 100% tuition assistance for courses we took. They paid for me to take an EMT course and I was in the Guard. So, that could be what your son's recruiter is talking about.

Did this help?

LHMHMOM
06-18-09, 08:21 AM
The $80,000 is the GI Bill. A Marine Mom that I work with told me that her son didn't receive it when he entered so I thought it was something different. I think she just didn't realize that he did receive it. It was probably different when he joined.

Liv, new recruits don't typically receive bonuses from what I hear but my son will be receiving one. He chose infantry as his MOS and he had to agree to five years active to receive the bonus.

thewookie
06-18-09, 09:08 AM
The $80,000 is the GI Bill. A Marine Mom that I work with told me that her son didn't receive it when he entered so I thought it was something different. I think she just didn't realize that he did receive it. It was probably different when he joined.

Liv, new recruits don't typically receive bonuses from what I hear but my son will be receiving one. He chose infantry as his MOS and he had to agree to five years active to receive the bonus.

I don't know if this explains the case of your co-worker the Marine Mom, but when I went in they offered the GI Bill to everybody, some signed up and paid the initial $1,200 (which was directly taken out of your paycheck -- $100 a month for 12 months) and some did not. I know guys who decided not to sign up for it and they kicked themselves after. But when you're a Private or PFC that $100 a month could represent a lot of money to your family or your beer fund. They didn't force Marines to sign up for it back then, speaking about the Montgomery GI Bill.

The new GI bill which is approved, but some details are still being finalized, is much, much different and much better for all service members,, and now their dependants can use it also.

LHMHMOM
06-18-09, 09:30 AM
That may be the case Wookie. He's only been in for about 1 1/2 years so I don't know how different it was then but I've heard there have been a lot of changes recently.

Just out of curiosity, will all Marines who are currently serving be able to take advantae of the new GI Bill even if it was different when they originally joined?

thewookie
06-18-09, 09:34 AM
That may be the case Wookie. He's only been in for about 1 1/2 years so I don't know how different it was then but I've heard there have been a lot of changes recently.

Just out of curiosity, will all Marines who are currently serving be able to take advantage of the new GI Bill even if it was different when they originally joined?

I think so, as long as they joined and served post 9/11 -- the new GI Bill is geared towards those who joined and served post 9/11. And rightfully so. This link might be the be source for info http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/ch33/ch33_pamphlet.pdf

It's a very good upgrade from the Montgomery GI Bill and long overdue.

LHMHMOM
06-18-09, 09:48 AM
Thanks wookie, that's good information. I'm so glad that things are looking up for our guys!!

PooleeDevoeUSMC
06-03-11, 10:27 PM
I also received $80,000. My recruiter says it's a scholarship. I had my highschool graduation last night and I was shocked when I heard my name.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-05-11, 09:20 AM
Interesting.

USNAviator
06-05-11, 09:55 AM
Interesting.

Never knew about this either. That $80K will pay for about 2 years worth of tuition at most private colleges. You still have to kick in another $10-12K for board

Those service academies are looking better and better

Old Marine
06-05-11, 10:18 AM
$80.000.00 upon enlisting, WOW. I doubt that I made that much during my whole 20 year enlistment. Of course the pay scale was not what it is today.

Is your son a basketball player, golfer, football player??? I thought those people were the only ones who got a big signing bonus.

wildwoman73
06-05-11, 12:28 PM
Read the fine print. :)

If the GI Bill still works the same (and why I'm not just looking it up before running my mouth I don't know), you pay in 100/month for a year. Then you can utilize your GI Bill. You get a monthly check once you have enrolled into college through the reporting VA rep. Or whatever. You don't just get an $80k check.

foreverproud
06-05-11, 01:23 PM
Read the fine print. :)

If the GI Bill still works the same (and why I'm not just looking it up before running my mouth I don't know), you pay in 100/month for a year. Then you can utilize your GI Bill. You get a monthly check once you have enrolled into college through the reporting VA rep. Or whatever. You don't just get an $80k check.

I believe what Taira just posted is what my son explained to me, but his was $50,000 ... that was in 2008. He told me being enrolled in a college/university was a requirement.

wildwoman73
06-05-11, 01:49 PM
Mine was $32,000. And I used EVERY bit of it. I only wish I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up back then. I changed my degree so many time that I could take 8-16 semester hours in any direction and have two degrees!! Terrible. Nursing. Criminal Justice. English. Forensic Science. They say a mind is a terrible thing to waste. I'm guessing containing a restless mind to one subject is a terrible thing to conquer.