PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure At Boot Camp

goodtimes
05-26-09, 11:32 AM
So, I searched and scrounged the internet for this answer and I have found nothing. At MEPS my bp was 138/89 and as you know, that was a close one! My question is: when the first physical exam at Boot Camp comes around, what happens if a recruit is above 140/90? I would expect almost every recruit there to be so stressed out that no one would be in a reasonable non- hypertension area. Any Marines out there know of any recruit being sent home before they had a chance at being the best?

NoRemorse
05-26-09, 11:41 AM
You'll be retested if your BP is above a certain threshold. They'll wait in between readings to make sure they've got you down to resting rate. If necessary they'll hold you in BAS or transfer you to a Naval Hospital for more testing.

This will be followed by a request for any medical records you have in your home state. That is of course if your BP is consistently high or they suspect another issue because of your medical history.

Your last question is way to broad. What issues are you having besides a marginally high BP?

DWG
05-26-09, 12:17 PM
Only persons' BP I worried about at PI was the Drill Instructors'. Don't do anything to make it rise!

Quinbo
05-26-09, 01:11 PM
Only an anecdote as I have no knowlege of how hypertension is treated in boot. After PT'ing your butt off and looking like a sugar cookie the average recruit could have their blood pressure and...

BR34
05-26-09, 01:42 PM
I don't even remember my bp being taken at BC. I do remember it at MEPS before shipping though.

DGardner
05-26-09, 05:34 PM
So, I searched and scrounged the internet for this answer and I have found nothing. At MEPS my bp was 138/89 and as you know, that was a close one! My question is: when the first physical exam at Boot Camp comes around, what happens if a recruit is above 140/90? I would expect almost every recruit there to be so stressed out that no one would be in a reasonable non- hypertension area. Any Marines out there know of any recruit being sent home before they had a chance at being the best?

If that's your blood pressure at rest, what is it going to be when you are active? Hypertension is a big deal and nothing to toy with.