PDA

View Full Version : Nineteen Marine Raiders Who Finally Came Home

thedrifter
05-26-09, 08:25 AM
May-25-2009 16:49
Nineteen Marine Raiders Who Finally Came Home
Tim King Salem-News.com

They say the Marines always recover their dead.

(MAKIN ISLAND) - In 1999, U.S. government officials recovered the bodies of 19 Marine Raiders who were killed fighting on Makin Island in August, 1942. With the help of a local islander who actually remembered the Marine landing, they were finally recovered and brought home, almost six decades later.

The Raiders were the last Marine Corps unit to wear their unit designation patch on the shoulder of their uniform.

Under the command of two Marine Colonels, Evans Carlson and Merritt Edson, these Marines formed the two elite units that specialized in amphibious light infantry warfare in the Island Campaigns.

The Raiders were established by the United States Marine Corps during World War II as "Edson's" Raiders of 1st Marine Raiders Battalion, and "Carlson's" Raiders of 2nd Marine Battalion. The Raiders are considered to be the first United States Special Operations Forces to form and see combat in World War II.

This is the heart wrenching, true story of the recovery of the 19 Marines Killed in Action on Makin Island in WWII. The video is an awesome tribute to some of the United States' greatest fighting men.

It isn't a video you will soon forget.

Here is the list of those 2nd Raiders that were identifed and returned to their families by the CLHI, courtesy of usmcraiders.com:

Marine Raiders Recovered from Makin Island:
Field. Music 1st Vernon L. Castle, Stillwater, OK
Cpl. I. B. Earles, Tulare, CA
Pfc. William A. Gallagher, Wyandotte, MI
Cpl. Daniel A. Gaston, Galveston, TX
Pfc. Ashley W. Hicks, Waterford, CA
Capt. Gerald P. Holtom, Palo Alto, CA
Cpl. Harris J. Johnson, Little Rock, Iowa
Cpl. Kenneth K. Kunkle, Mountain Home, AK
Pvt. Carlyle O. Larson, Glenwood, MN
Cpl. Edward Maciejewski, Chicago, IL
Pvt. Robert B. Maulding, Vista, CA
Pfc . Kenneth M. Montgomery, Eden, WI
Pfc. Norman W. Mortensen, Camp Douglas, WI
Pvt. Franklin M. Nodland, Marshall town, IA
Cpl. Robert B. Pearson, Lafayette, CA
Pvt. Charles A. Selby, Ontonagon, MI
Pfc. John E. Vandenberg, Kenosha, WI
Cpl. , Mason O. Yarbrough, Sikeston, MO
Sgt. Clyde Thomason, Atlanta, Ga.

atmendoza.com.

The story is by Pat Mendoza, who also arranged the music. Trumpet is performed by Steve Wiest. The singers are the Islanders and Pat Mendoza.

-----------------------------------------------------

Tim King is a former U.S. Marine with twenty years of experience on the west coast as a television news producer, photojournalist, reporter and assignment editor. In addition to his role as a war correspondent, this Los Angeles native serves as Salem-News.com's Executive News Editor.
Tim spent the winter of 2006/07 covering the war in Afghanistan, and he was in Iraq over the summer of 2008, reporting from the war while embedded with both the U.S. Army and the Marines. Tim holds numerous awards for reporting, photography, writing and editing, including the Oregon AP Award for Spot News Photographer of the Year (2004), the first place Electronic Media Award in Spot News, Las Vegas, (1998), Oregon AP Cooperation Award (1991); and several other awards including the 2005 Red Cross Good Neighborhood Award for reporting. Serving the community in very real terms, Salem-News.com is the nation's only truly independent high traffic news Website, affiliated with Google News and several other major search engines and news aggregators.
You can send Tim an email at this address: newsroom@salem-news.com

Return to Makin Island iPod Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6f_FvZpm3g&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esalem%2Dnews%2Ecom%2Fartic les%2Fmay252009%2Fmakin%5Fmarines%5F5%2D25%2D09%2E php&feature=player_embedded

Ellie

awbrown1462
05-27-09, 08:58 AM
thought you may like this Ellie I posted it before but it fits here also
<TABLE id=post486275 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_486275 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b5b1b1 1px solid">
19 Brothers came home
By Sgt Allen Brown USMC Veteran

Today I read story about Makin Island
I had tears in my eyes
Not tears of sadness
But tears of joy
For today 19 Brothers came home

I could not always call them Brothers
It took me three hard months to earn that right
I have thousands of Brothers and Sisters everywhere
But today 19 Brothers came home

I don't know all of their names
Will never meet most of them
Some are gone now
They date back to 1775

So do not shed a tear because they are gone
Sing out with joy for their return
Let the world know that they are back
For they have been gone along time

Many more Brothers and Sisters are lost
But the Marine Corps will not rest
Till all are found
For we leave none behind
<!-- / message --><O:p
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b5b1b1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #b5b1b1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #b5b1b1 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #b5b1b1 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fcf5f5">http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/statusicon/user_online.gif http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/buttons/report.gif (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/report.php?p=486275) </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b5b1b1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #b5b1b1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #b5b1b1 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #b5b1b1 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
06-03-09, 07:31 PM
A very good friend sent this Utube file for this Memorial.. I cryed my eyes out n still welled up!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6f_FvZpm3g

JB STARK USMC-USA RET

sparkie
06-03-09, 09:10 PM
As I type thru tears,,,, Welcome home, Marines. We won't ever forget.

SGT7477
06-03-09, 10:16 PM
RIP Marines.

ggyoung
06-04-09, 10:44 AM
:iwo::flag:We can not forget what they have done for us. Welcome home Marines and a job well done.

FistFu68
06-04-09, 12:35 PM
:usmc: Of Their Honor And Their Glory The People Shall Sing :usmc: :iwo:

ArtyOps
06-04-09, 12:46 PM
Welcome home.

yanacek
06-04-09, 01:02 PM
This story isn't finished. Nine of the Raiders were captured by the Japanese and taken to Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands. There, they were beheaded at the orders of Admiral Koso Abe. The location of their graves on Kwajalein has never been found despite numerous attempts.