PDA

View Full Version : what MOS should I choose?

BARboy04
08-09-02, 12:09 PM
I am not yet a Marine, I am 16 and a half and planning to enlist in 6 monthes. My father wants me to go into OCS or go to Annapolis to become an officer. My mother wants me to go strait into an administrative MOS. I my self want to be assigned to embasy duty in Germany. What should I do??????:confused:

Sixguns
08-09-02, 12:15 PM
OCS and an officer commissioning requires not only a high school education, but a college degree. That means you can't do anything as far as a commission yet.

As for Marine Security Guard (MSG) duty, that is not an enlistment option. It is a special duty that Marines from any Military Occupation can apply for. It is known as a "B" billet, and is not a primary job in the Marine Corps. You would have to choose an MOS as a primary and later volunteer for special duty.

If you are turning 17 soon and you are going to be a senior in high school this school year, you need to talk to a recruiter about your opportunities. to find a recruiter, call 1-800-Marines or log on to www.Marines.com.

greg
08-28-02, 06:39 PM
I'm almost 18 and am planning on joining. I was talking to the recruiter yesterday and he said that you could go staight to MSG Duty even though it is a B billet. He made it clear that it was almost like any other MOS. Was he bullsh*ting me?

Sniperone
08-28-02, 08:25 PM
All I know is you better damn well get the USMC Sniper out of your name there son! You have to earn the title Marine and then earn the MOS of Sniper!!!! Change it NOW!!!

thedrifter
08-28-02, 08:34 PM
Sniperone....

I agree.....He has been PMed to change the name.......

Sempers,

Roger

top1371
08-29-02, 01:24 AM
I would have to see the proof on that one. MSG requires that you be a CPL or a the very minimum a promotable LCpl, because they award you 100 points toward your composite score when you graduage from the school. We do not just stick people on guard at our embassies. The reason you have to be a CPL is simple, it shows you are responsible, mature and trusted just to name a few of the great attributes of our NCOs.

Jack
08-29-02, 07:37 AM
I was an MSG from 1993 to 1995. At that time, you were required to be at least a Lcpl, you had to be single, and you had to have at least one year at your present duty station. Don't worry about rushing into Embassy duty, get some experience in the FMF first, you will appreciate your time as an MSG all the more. Semper Fi, Jack.

greg
08-29-02, 07:58 AM
Thank you for the info. I checked MCO P1200.7W (MOS Manual), which states that MSG's (8152) can be Pvts through GySgts. There is also a "Guard" MOS (8151). The recruiter said something about that only being an MOS while in Marine Corps Security Force school. Can anyone verify this?

I will need a normal MOS anyway. I heard that MCSF likes people from the infantry... A question to any guards out there: What was your MOS before you became a MSG? I am mainly thinking or being an MP, as I plan on going into law enforcement when I get out.

Sixguns
08-29-02, 09:20 AM
All program guarantees are for the purpose of assigning a Marine a primary MOS. MSG is a secondary MOS. You cannot go right to MSG duty. Your recruiter may be confusing the Security Force option with MSG duty. I would ask to see the MOS guarantee option in writing.

SF,

greg
08-29-02, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Sixguns
Your recruiter may be confusing the Security Force option with MSG duty.

By "security force option" do you mean some kind of enlistment option or option to request the MOS once in?

Sixguns
08-29-02, 12:26 PM
Security Forces is an enlistment option. It essentially trains you as an infantryman, but you are then sent to security force training and you are guaranteed your first assignment will be in a security force detachment. Later (after 2 years on SF duty), you are sent to an infantry unit. Marines from any MOS can volunteer for MSG. Not just infantry. As I have said, MSG is a secondary or "B"billet assignment.

DEP_Walker
09-02-02, 10:48 PM
My recruiter was, for awhile, trying to get me to do MSG duty once I was in the fleet and the only thing he really mentioned, or at least stressed to me, was that in order to do MSG duty you had to have at least 1 year of service in the fleet before you can actually qualify for it.