PDA

View Full Version : Green Springs ball field lights glow in memory of fallen Marine

thedrifter
05-26-09, 06:42 AM
SanduskyRegister.com Front Article
Green Springs ball field lights glow in memory of fallen Marine
By SARAH WEBER

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:49 AM EDT

GREEN SPRINGS

U.S. Marines Reserve Lance Cpl. Jeremy Shock was a light in the lives of his family and community.

And now, that light will shine on -- over countless kids and residents who play ball in the community's nighttime summer air.

On Saturday, Green Springs celebrated the inaugural lighting of new stadium lights erected in memory of Jeremy at the Green Springs Community Park.

Bands played throughout the day.

After the lights were turned on, the community christened them with an all-night softball tournament.

Sherry Shock, Jeremy's mom, said her family wanted to do something to give back to the community after it was so supportive to them in the wake of her son's death.

Jeremy was serving in Iraq on road patrol in November 2006 when a roadside bomb exploded under his vehicle.

"After we lost Jeremy, Mr. (Tom) Burdette from the grocery down here said, 'Can we do something to keep Jeremy's memory alive?'" Sherry Shock said. "At first we talked about a scholarship, but we said the community has done so much for us, we really wanted to do something for them."

The family raised $130,000 for the lights, and Sherry Shock believes they have almost enough left to buy a scoreboard for the park as well.

She said it's a fitting memorial for Jeremy, who loved to play nighttime softball. But the family isn't done honoring their son and brother.

"This isn't something that we're stopping at either," Sherry Shock said. "I think people need to be aware it's not just Jeremy who sacrificed his life. I think we need to keep Jeremy's name alive and to recognize other families have gone through what we have gone through."

Brenda Rando, chairwoman for the community association, said the lights are a special tribute to Jeremy.

"I think it's a great thing the community supported the Shocks in their time of need and that they have decided to give back to the community," she said.

Ellie