PDA

View Full Version : World War II Veteran Regains Purple Heart

thedrifter
05-26-09, 06:39 AM
World War II Veteran Regains Purple Heart
Reported by: Fields Moseley

Memorial Day is set aside to honor soldiers, airmen, marines, and seaman who have fought and died for this country. W also see many ceremonies to honor those fighting men and women who are still with us.

James Rymus spent some time in Utah at Fort Douglas as a unit advisor, but his military career started during World War II, and he was wounded in action. Now in his later years, today he able to regain something close to his heart.

"You look like you're not ready to quit," said Senator Bob Bennett to Jame Rymus as the men shook hands.

"I'm not ready to quit," Rymus said confidently.

The two had that conversation at Hooper Park Monday afternoon. The veteran of World War two and Korea was thankful, but unsure about all the pomp and circumstance.

"It's a great honor," Rymus said. "I don't feel like I deserve it because there's millions of other veterans out there that did as much as I did."

Certainly millions can't claim a career such as that of Rymus. He earned a number of honors from the National Defense Service Medal to the Army Commendation. But his military career began as a marine in the Pacific Theater. It was on the island of Iwo Jima in the waning days of World War II, March 11th, 1945, that an explosion in a bunker severely injured his foot.

"I was wounded on Iwo Jima and it was never presented," Rymus explained. He was referring to his Purple Heart which arrived by mail later. As he continued his military career in the army, travelling around the world, the medal disappeared. Until now. Senator Bennett and the Marine Corp replaced the only medal awarded to those wounded or killed while fighting an enemy of the United States.

"I would like them to remember the United States of America," Rymus said of younger generations who might see this story. "What it stands for and be willing to stand up and fight for it."

Rymus doesn't walk with a cane or crutches although doctors in 1945 almost took his foot due to infection. They tried an experimental drug at the time, penicillin, and saved his foot.

Ellie