PDA

View Full Version : Breathing while doing the run...need help.

LokiPA
05-25-09, 10:46 PM
Running is the hardest part for me. It's not that my feet or legs hurt - that doesn't happen for quite a while. But at around the first 3/4 of a mile, that's when I start burning out.

I begin with a slow but steady breathing exercise, breathing in heavy slowly, breathing out heavy slowly. Then for the rest of the run I start panting like a dog. It's a serious problem...At times (and I'm sure this is just because of a lack of fitness as I've had my heart thoroughly checked before) when I breathe in my heart, or at least that section of my chest (it certainly feels like the heart) hurts really bad.

It is affecting my run time and right now there's almost no way I can finish a 3 mile without slowing to a walk.

I have been running every day but I keep having this problem. Any suggestions?

sbombard15
05-25-09, 10:58 PM
Sounds like you ned to work on your conditioning. That happens to me (and I think most people) when I really push my self but for me that dosent happen until my 6th mile. Try bike riding and swimming to build up your endurance then go running. Keep in mind I am NOT a doctor.

Amw088
05-25-09, 10:59 PM
I've been having a similar problem, I used to run 5ks and played soccer for 10 years.I quit a few years ago.

Now I have trouble controlling my breath and close to a mile my chest starts to burn.

I didn't help at all lol. Hope fully some one has some insight for you.

dizark
05-25-09, 11:00 PM
Your legs can take you farther than your mind will let you. When I run, I try to keep a pattern going. I breathe in every 2 steps, and breathe out every 2. I too, will be panting like a dog during a run but you must not let yourself stop and walk at any point as this just doesn't help you one bit.

I'm no jackrabbit, but I run my 3 miles in 22:45. I start my run out fast and strong, but shortly burn out there after and jog the rest of the way. I'm working on building better stamina to allow me to run longer without growing as tired so quickly. Just know you must ignore your mind telling you to walk or quit, and push on. You'll be fine. Best of luck to you.

sbombard15
05-25-09, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=dizark;494165]Your legs can take you farther than your mind will let you. When I run, I try to keep a pattern going. I breath in every 2 steps, and breath out every 2. I too, will be panting like a dog during a run but you must not let yourself stop and walk at any point as this just doesn't help you one bit.

That is exactly what I do and if you let you mind wander then before you know it you are done your run.

reallybigshoe
05-25-09, 11:04 PM
I've recently gone from no running to 5 mile runs with energy and wind to spare. Pay attention.

1. Download Marine Corps cadences and listen to them while you run. Breath in while the instructor sings, out while the recruits sing.

2. Slow down. Go as slow as you need to so that you do not run out of breath for an entire session. This is your slow pace. Now either add time going faster, returning to the slow pace to catch your breath or add hills at the same pace. I recommend hills. They REALLY help.

3. Every week or so go a little faster, once you are doing 4-5 miles without running out of steam. You can time this by the cadences you are listening to. You will notice that you get done around the same song. Try to get done before that song, or earlier in it.

Don't just run. Hiking works much better for fat burning and conditioning. Run 3 times per week, and hike up and down hills at full speed the rest of the week. Soon you will have an urge to run part of the hike. Run up the hills. I cannot stress enough how good this is for your time. Running up hills is like 10 times harder than it is to go faster on a level plain. Always make things harder than what you want to improve on, and the improvements will come easier.

LokiPA
05-25-09, 11:26 PM
I've recently gone from no running to 5 mile runs with energy and wind to spare. Pay attention.

1. Download Marine Corps cadences and listen to them while you run. Breath in while the instructor sings, out while the recruits sing.

Yeah, I need to get some wrap-around ipod headphones because the ones I have are way too small to stay in my ears when running. I'll keep this in mind, thanks.

2. Slow down. Go as slow as you need to so that you do not run out of breath for an entire session. This is your slow pace. Now either add time going faster, returning to the slow pace to catch your breath or add hills at the same pace. I recommend hills. They REALLY help.

The thing is, if you want a perfect 3-mile score then you need to run 1 mile in 6 minutes. You can't do this slowing down. Even if you reach the minimum that's still a little over 9 minutes per mile.

. Every week or so go a little faster, once you are doing 4-5 miles without running out of steam. You can time this by the cadences you are listening to. You will notice that you get done around the same song. Try to get done before that song, or earlier in it.

What's your schedule to build endurance for this? How many times a day do you run/how many days?

Don't just run. Hiking works much better for fat burning and conditioning. Run 3 times per week, and hike up and down hills at full speed the rest of the week. Soon you will have an urge to run part of the hike. Run up the hills. I cannot stress enough how good this is for your time. Running up hills is like 10 times harder than it is to go faster on a level plain. Always make things harder than what you want to improve on, and the improvements will come easier.

See this is the part I forgot to add. I'm not a fat body or anything, I'm actually as skinny as a rail. That's why I'm having a lot of anxiety here. I don't get why a lanky, 6"3 kid like myself is having trouble with the run.

reallybigshoe
05-25-09, 11:34 PM
You need to build up the speed slowly. Trust me, perfect PT takes a while. When I started I was doing a 15 minute mile with walking intervals. Now I can pass the running part of the PFT pretty easily. I can also outrun my active Navy girlfriend, and out-sprint any jogger I come across when I run. This comes from building up endurance slowly and running up hills. They might could run as far as I could, but I can destroy them with bursts of energy and the ability to recover from sprints without slowing under a jog because of hill training.

Your starting too fast is the explanation for all of your problems. I am a fat body. When I lost 60 pounds, my legs are built up and used to carrying extra weight and so I got a jump start. Your legs are not used to carrying anything, PLUS your cardio is no good. Can you run 5 miles at a 10-minute/mile? Until you can do that you need to work on distance before speed. Speed comes from hill training more than anything, so you can do 10-minute/miles and just add hills. Then when you take it to the track and go all out you will be impressive.

One more thing - hike with a pack. Make sure there's big time hills. 20-30 pounds in your pack (rocks or water, whatever) will build those legs up, which is going to be big for you.

LokiPA
05-26-09, 12:11 AM
This might be a stupid question, but what if you don't live around any hilly areas?

reallybigshoe
05-26-09, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I'm not real impressed with that question... You live in Pittsburgh. I found hills to run in Lubbock Texas, which is a great plains city (notoriously flat). Your area is known for rolling hills.

I am linking you two resources for finding places to do your PT. They were the #1 and #3 results on Google.

http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/hiking/tp/trails.htm
http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=10866

NoRemorse
05-26-09, 07:30 AM
Breathe into your gut. The problem isn't inhalation, it's exhalation. You need to dump the toxins such as pent up CO2 from your system. You need a larger exhale. That's part of the reason why they say in through the nose, out through the mouth.

How's the weather been recently? That might account for the chest burning or it's because you're a shallow chest breather and overusing your intercostal muscles instead of your diaphragm.

Lay on the deck, put an object on your lower abdomen and breathe lower so the air entering your lower lungs pushes the object up. Diaphramgatic breathing is far more powerful and works out the lungs tremendously. If you're panting them move towards a slow, controlled pant... like in lamaze or birthing classes. You've seen it on sitcoms... hee hee hee hooooo. It's a controlled pant, use the same principle and slow your breathing down; short, sharp inhales into your gut, longer exhales, and keep at it.

And walk more. Walking is a good conditioner all around.

reallybigshoe
05-26-09, 11:17 AM
PFC Acosta is absolutely right. I forgot to mention the actual breathing technique. The reason being once you have learned this technique it comes so natural that you'd never do it the other way again. It does take some getting used to, however. Good luck!

Oh if your nose gets stuffy (mine does from allergies when I first start jogging in another part of the state) you can go back to mouth breathing - but apply the same technique. You always need to be pushing out thoroughly. I've found myself in the middle of a 5 mile jog breathing in the same way I would if I were sitting on the couch watching TV. On level plane, without much speed, your body just needs to get rid of the built up CO2.

Amw088
05-26-09, 12:24 PM
This isn't my thread but he info I found here was very helpfull, thanks again Noremorse.

Also the part about the weather, its been fairly hot lately I usually can't get jogging till about 2:30pm - 3:00pm (14:30-15:00)

BR34
05-26-09, 01:48 PM
The only thing I think you need to do is slow the hell down. It sounds like you're sprinting, or getting close to sprinting at the beginning. Just take it easy until you feel like you can run a bit faster.

I do sprints one day, then the very next day I just run at a nice easy pace for 30-40 minutes. I don't care about mileage, or timed miles or anything...just keeping my heartrate up for that time. Then I rest the next day, then I repeat.

LokiPA
05-26-09, 09:42 PM
I'm no jackrabbit, but I run my 3 miles in 22:45. I start my run out fast and strong, but shortly burn out there after and jog the rest of the way. I'm working on building better stamina to allow me to run longer without growing as tired so quickly. Just know you must ignore your mind telling you to walk or quit, and push on. You'll be fine. Best of luck to you.

Now that you mention that, just curious, because I have no idea, does pretty much every Marine run a 275-300 PFT by the time they're out of boot?

SGT7477
05-26-09, 10:11 PM
Running is the hardest part for me. It's not that my feet or legs hurt - that doesn't happen for quite a while. But at around the first 3/4 of a mile, that's when I start burning out.

I begin with a slow but steady breathing exercise, breathing in heavy slowly, breathing out heavy slowly. Then for the rest of the run I start panting like a dog. It's a serious problem...At times (and I'm sure this is just because of a lack of fitness as I've had my heart thoroughly checked before) when I breathe in my heart, or at least that section of my chest (it certainly feels like the heart) hurts really bad.

It is affecting my run time and right now there's almost no way I can finish a 3 mile without slowing to a walk.

I have been running every day but I keep having this problem. Any suggestions?
You have to build endurance which takes time just like bench pressing it takes time to be able to move up in weight, if you are out of shape that explains it all, Good Luck.:flag:

SGT7477
05-26-09, 10:13 PM
Now that you mention that, just curious, because I have no idea, does pretty much every Marine run a 275-300 PFT by the time they're out of boot?
No they don't unless times have changed.:D

sparkie
05-26-09, 10:17 PM
In reguards to the first question,,,,,,,,,, Yes,,, Breathe,,,,,,,,,

{ I ain't readin all this crap},,,,,

LokiPA
05-27-09, 03:07 AM
No they don't unless times have changed.:D

What PFT score did all of you guys get once graduating boot then? This is news to me, I don't know the exact threads but I swear more than once on here I read that towards the end of recruit training you were expected to have something like that...

NoRemorse
05-27-09, 07:09 AM
What PFT score did all of you guys get once graduating boot then? This is news to me, I don't know the exact threads but I swear more than once on here I read that towards the end of recruit training you were expected to have something like that...

That's bad scoop. Here's your answer: PUSH! Until one of the Sgts get tired.

1... 2... 3... 4... I Love Marine Corps!

BR34
05-27-09, 03:11 PM

I had like a 260 at the end of boot camp, and I was in the top 10 in my PLT. That's the lowest PFT score I ever had, and if I ever got as low as 260 again I'd shoot someone!

SGT7477
05-27-09, 08:30 PM
Long time ago for me around 270 in boot camp when I hit the fleet I hit 300.