PDA

View Full Version : 82-year-old still a Marine

thedrifter
05-25-09, 08:32 AM
82-year-old still a Marine
For Anthony Stabile, a veteran of three wars, Memorial Day is a sacred holiday.
By MIKE ARGENTO

Daily Record/Sunday News
By MIKE ARGENTO
Updated: 05/24/2009 10:09:08 PM EDT

Anthony Stabile is a Marine.

He had served in the Corps, first as an enlisted man and then as an officer, for 27 years. His service spanned World War II, Korea and Vietnam. Retired from the Marines since 1972, he is still a Marine because, as they say, once a Marine, always a Marine.

He joined the Corps in 1945, when he was 18. He shipped out for China, where he served repatriating the 50,000 Japanese prisoners of war who were detained there. He served in Korea in 1952 and 1953 and in Vietnam in 1966 and 1967.

Currently, he is involved in fundraising for the York County Vietnam Veterans Memorial, to be placed at the York Expo Center. In that capacity, he often speaks to civic and veterans organizations.

Q: As a veteran of three conflicts, what is your opinion of war?

"Unfortunately, it's necessary sometimes. Usually the guy who starts it is overstepping his bounds and, in most cases, you have to stop it.

"In Vietnam, we accomplished our mission, training the South Vietnamese to defend themselves, but then Tet started, and it went downhill from there. I left Vietnam on Thanksgiving Day 1967 (before the Tet offensive). I was in Saigon in 1967, and I remember seeing all of these ambulances going to the cemetery. I thought it was a lot of funerals. Later, we found out they were burying ammunition and rifles./;

Q: Why is the Vietnam Memorial such an important project?

"Look on there (pointing to the base of the model of the proposed memorial). It says, 'Welcome Home.' That was my idea. It's important because a lot of these men and women didn't get that when they came home."

Q: What are you thoughts about Memorial Day?

"This is a day to honor the memory of the fallen. The other day, with the VFW, we put 790 flags out in cemeteries, and we always have help from the Cub Scouts, Troop 146 from Rossville. I always make sure to tell the kids, before we start, why we do it."

Q: Is there anyone you think of in particular on Memorial Day?

"My last duty in the Marine Corps was casualty assistance, notifying families. There was one fellow. Zavaka was his name. He was an infantry officer from Wyoming, Pa. The day he died was Thanksgiving. I think it was 1971."

mike@ydr.com or 771-2046.

BIO BOX

Name: Anthony Stabile
Born: In Greensburg, Pa.
Home: West Manchester Township
Family: Wife of more than 60 years, Mardella, died in September; two children, a son and a daughter
Occupation: Retired Marine captain. Retired from York Stone & Supply Co.
Affiliations: Numerous veteran organizations; involved in fundraising for the York County Vietnam Veterans Memorial

Video

http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_12442559

Ellie