PDA

View Full Version : 35 years later, Green Bay's Tom Hilden gets Bronze Star

thedrifter
05-25-09, 08:14 AM
May 25, 2009

35 years later, Green Bay's Tom Hilden gets Bronze Star

By Mike Hoeft
mhoeft@greenbaypressgazette.com

After 35 years, Green Bay's Tom Hilden finally received the Bronze Star he was due for heroic service during the Vietnam War.

"I was pretty excited to learn I got it," said Hilden, 64, who retired from the U.S. Post Office in Green Bay several years ago. The Bronze Star is the fourth-highest combat medal awarded by the U.S. military.

Hilden, 64, a native of Wabeno in Forest County, was in a Marine company that suffered casualties when it came under heavy enemy fire north of Da Nang on Nov. 24, 1968.

Hilden distinguished himself in giving first aid to casualties and helping evacuate them, saving the lives of several Marines, the citation said. After the fight, he was told he had been nominated for the Bronze Star for his actions, though because of an apparent bureaucratic glitch, he heard nothing more officially.

Then in 2002 he decided to get a flu shot at a veterans' symposium in Green Bay. While there he stopped to fill out a form that would help determine if there were any military decorations or medals in his service record.

"Otherwise I would never have known about it," he said.

About 16 months later, he received a package in the mail containing the Bronze Star and ribbons for several other distinctions. He had to write again for the actual citation.

Hilden said he's just happy it finally showed up.

Ellie