PDA

View Full Version : Discover Marines' history today

thedrifter
05-25-09, 07:15 AM
Discover Marines' history today

Monday, May 25, 2009

By Linda Reilly
Times Correspondent

Marines who share a legacy of loyalty are preserving the belongings of their brotherhood for future generations in a museum in their honor.

When the Upper Darby Marine Corps League Detachment 884 acquired a building they could call home several years ago, one of its goals was to create a museum to honor the service and sacrifice of Corps members.

The new Marine Corps Museum, housed in a second-floor room of the detachment headquarters, 1026 Providence Road, is now open to the public.

The gallery walls are lined with photographs and display cases filled with memorabilia donated by 884 members, other Marines or family members of deceased Marines.

Commandant Don Turner, a charter member of Detachment 884 that organized in 1994, says a museum was tops on the list of projects.

“We wanted our own house so we could start a museum to honor the contributions and sacrifices of Marines,” Commandant Don Turner said. “We met at the Knights of Columbus, West Chester Pike, that first year and then used the American Legion Post 214 (Chestnut Street) in 1995 until 2001. That’s when we moved into our own house on Providence Road.”

Retired Marine Cpl. Gary McCann, 66, of Collingdale, and other members collected uniforms, maps, hats, medals and ribbons and an assortment of Marine Corps memorabilia for preservation.

According to McCann, the museum coordinator, retired Sgt. Maj. Alfred DeSerio, 102, the oldest member of any Marine Corps League, who served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam, gave the league a lot of his service-related items.

“DeSerio put 42 years into the Marine Corps,” McCann said. “He’s the oldest living retired Marine. He saved everything. Everything. He gave us loads of paperwork, including his original papers from 1928. He had all this stuff and no one to leave it to.”

DeSerio’s dress blues uniform, various manuals dating from 1943 to 1951 and dog tags from all three wars are on display.

“We stored all the stuff and more donations came in until we had the room done after several years of construction,” McCann said.

Family members of deceased Marines donated a sergeant major’s dinner white and dinner blues dress uniforms that are proudly displayed.

“Our members donated 75 percent of everything in here,” McCann said. “And a lot of people not in the MCL donated objects to the museum belonging to their father or grandfather.”

McCann remembered the spouse of the late Henry Donaghy, a World War I veteran who donated original photographs from the war in pristine condition, which are now framed and on display.

The coordinator acquired former jewelry store display cases with rotating shelves to organize and categorize medals and ribbons of retired or deceased Marines.

“We cover every era,” McCann said pointing to one of oldest pieces, an 1878 bayonet, to covers (hats) from Iraq veterans.

An entire display case has been dedicated to varied covers acquired, including campaign, enlisted blues and drill instructor’s covers.

McCann pointed out the daily demise of World War II veterans, suggesting family members left with Marine Corps items donate them to Detachment 884 for preservation.

“They have historical value,” McCann said. “Don’t just throw them out because you have no need for it. We will put it on display with our other treasures. The Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Va., doesn’t have the stuff we have.”

McCann cites a photograph taken by the Japanese, dated 1945, that is displayed in one case. According to McCann, American troops removed this photo and others of the bombing of Pearl Harbor taken from the air by a Japanese naval photographer.

“This is a picture of the actual planes bombing Pearl Harbor,” McCann said.

McCann also has framed a 1918 photograph of the World War I Devil Dogs.

“I am elated we have a place to save the history of the Marines for the younger generation,” McCann said. “It’s been a labor of love. I wanted to do it for my grandchildren so the history would not get lost.

“I’m always looking for pictures and newspaper clippings from any period of Marines. I’d like to have more Desert Storm and all actions over there.”

To make arrangements or to donate objects, call the detachment at 610-259-USMC and leave a message.

Ellie