PDA

View Full Version : Technology allows Marine father to take part in daughter’s commissioning

thedrifter
05-25-09, 07:00 AM
Technology allows Marine father to take part in daughter’s commissioning

5/24/2009 By Multi National Force - West Public Affairs , Multi National Force - West

AL ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq —

The family and friends of Ashlee Nelson recently gathered for her commissioning as a Marine second lieutenant at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md.

However, one man was conspicuously absent from the group – and for good reason. Ashlee’s father, Col. Niel Nelson, was thousands of miles away in Iraq where he serves as the chief of staff for Multi National Force - West, and was thus unable to be present for this momentous occasion in his daughter’s life. Yet technology stepped in to bridge this gap.
Within hours of Ashlee’s commissioning at Annapolis, father and daughter reunited via webcam so that Nelson could take part in her accession into the Marine officer ranks.

Nelson readministered his daughter’s oath of service as family members and friends looked on in Maryland, and members of the MNF-W staff showed their support from Iraq.

“It’s like a family business,” joked Nelson from his office aboard Al Asad Air Base. “Back in the 90s I was a Boy Scouts leader and I took them to the Naval Academy for a trip. They fell in love with the place.”

The ‘they’ Nelson is referring to are his children, Ashlee and Andrew, who is also a Marine second lieutenant currently deployed as a combat engineer officer with the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit. Andrew graduated from the Naval Academy in 2007.

“It really is a great feeling that both have chosen the same path as me,” Nelson continued, “but it makes me proud that they also have their own lives and their own desires and goals.”

Ellie