PDA

View Full Version : Iron Gym

petejones
05-24-09, 08:24 PM
Hey guys, I have seen the infomercials on the Iron Gym, and was wondering if anyone can answer a couple questions for me that have used it. I entered this into the search bar and couldn't find any threads about this.

1. How sturdy is it, and does it damge/leave marks on the door frame?

2. Does the door frame have to be very sturdy?

3. Would you recommend it? Why, or why not?

Those are the only questions I have about the Iron Gym. Give me your input on it, or if you think theres something better than this tell me.

Hartford
05-24-09, 08:33 PM
1) Pretty sturdy, I'm ~205 pounds and it doesnt seem to bend or anything. It's a "cheap" product definitely, Made in China status but it does the job.

2) Dunno about the door frame, mine is nothing special and it hasn't broken yet. However I was worried I would break it and my parents would destroy me! Hah.

3) Yes, easy way to get in a lot of pull ups without having to go to a park/gym/recruiter office.

petejones
05-24-09, 08:39 PM
Thanks Hatford, I also wanted to add. What stores sell this? I don't wanna buy it offline I'm to impatient to wait for it to come in the mail.

NoPainNoGain17
05-24-09, 09:34 PM
Maybe it's just my doorway, but it really messed up my door frame. Right now it's leaving pretty bad damages and I've only used it about 15-20 times max. I suggest just getting a nail-in pull up bar. But if your parents won't let you, then go for it. It could always just be my door frame. And just so you know I'm 155lbs, so keep that in mind.

sbombard15
05-24-09, 09:45 PM
The tops of the doorframes have to be strong. I had to keep moving it around my house till I found a door frame strong enough for it to hold my 185 body. My door frame has received no damage and it is made of soft wood. I bought one at dicks sporting goods for 30 dollars. It is a great investment for the price and it has increased my pull ups by 3 in a month. Hope this helps.

Hartford
05-24-09, 10:00 PM
I bought mine at Long's Drugs store, but they sell them at pretty much any general sporting goods store or Wal-Mart/Target or something.

Eldridge0311
05-24-09, 10:25 PM
im pretty sure walmart has them on sale now for like 20 dollars.. if im not mistaken :/. Good luck on your search.

JSam
05-24-09, 11:17 PM
Correct... Wal-Mart, Target, Bed, Bath & Beyond, and most sporting good stores.
I put a paper towel on the ends so that it doesn't leave marks on my doorframe.
I haven't had issues with the product; it's helped me a lot. I would recommend it to you.

petejones
05-25-09, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys, goin to get one tomorrow

Kilo1CC
05-25-09, 10:12 PM
Instead of going to get one, here's something you guys probably ARE to LAZY to EVEN DO.

Go to your LOCAL park (It's almost summer now so the weather is warm) and use the pull up bars there, you think at MCRD there's gonna be nice and soft cushioned padded pull up bars?

sbombard15
05-25-09, 11:00 PM
I dont have a park in my town.

Hartford
05-25-09, 11:07 PM
It's also easier to get in a lot of pull ups this way when leading a busy life. You can also do them throughout the day, not just for 10-30 minutes if you were to do them at the gym or a park or something.

rosary9mm
05-25-09, 11:18 PM
I bought one a few months back, it really helped me out. no damage to my door frame, im about 175 and it held me no problem. One thing i did find odd is that i can do more pull-ups on the bar at the office then i can on the iron gym bar. In 4 weeks time i managed to more then double my pull-ups. Its also great for push-ups too, just dont get too used to push-ups on there. Other than that, great affordable device. No complaints on my side.

goodtimes
05-26-09, 12:26 AM
Forget about the iron gym. I bought one and it did not fit in my door... or any door for that matter. I bought a regular bar and screwed it into my closet door frame. It ended up being a third of the price of that horrible iron gym.

reallybigshoe
05-26-09, 12:44 AM
I got the Iron gym - same result. Does not fit.

I'm going screw it into some posts outside so that I have somewhere to workout and I'm not wasting my money. I'll post pics when this is done.

petejones
05-26-09, 10:52 PM
Got my Iron Gym today, fits fine, and holds my weight (190lbs). Thanks for all the input guys it helped.

I thought of going to a park but I live in a newer developement, and theres no parks around here.

Kurokawa
05-27-09, 01:41 AM
-<nevermind>-

ElDiablo
05-27-09, 07:07 AM
Worth it. Got it and improved Pull Ups from 8 to 13-15. Very sturdy, very useful, does not leave drag marks, my door frame isn't very sturdy and it holds up fine. The only thing I have against it is the situps that you can supposedly do on it. They never worked very well for me, but other than that its great.