PDA

View Full Version : Allowed to where USMC gear before graduation/boot camp?

Hartford
05-24-09, 08:00 PM
What are the poolees or Marines thoughts on this?

Are Poolees "allowed" to wear USMC t-shirts/sweatshirts, sticker on car, lanyard? Or is it looked down upon as you have not yet earned the Title of Marine? Does it really just not matter? I just don't want some old-school vet to chew my butt out one day. :evilgrin:

Thanks,
Hartford

PaidinBlood
05-24-09, 08:05 PM
All in the eye of the beholder...to me it is much like representing your favorite team. Many Marines take great offense to it, however. As for shirts, it might be best to stick with "poolee" or mass distributed shirts of such designs as recruiters give to poolees or kids at special events. These tend to be more quickly recognized as promotional items. Wear a true 'MOTO" shirt and expect questions. Other than actual uniform items, there is no protection of memorabilia. That being said remember you are borrowing our name-try to take good care of it both now and even after you have earned the right yourself. Good luck to you. :thumbup:

Phantom Blooper
05-24-09, 08:14 PM
Tee Shirts and stickers are given out by Marine recruiters.

I see nothing wrong with wearing or displaying these items.

If asked if you are a Marine the answer is a resounding NO!

You are a supporter or a Poolee wanting to be a Marine.

Until you actually march across the grinder and are given the title of Marine you are just a supporter or family member until you earn the title.

And in my opine there is nothing wrong with supporting the U.S. Marine Corps!

We need in todays world all the support that can be mustered!

I don't know what you are referring to about a land yard.

That is a uniform item and should not be worn unless you earn it!

Unless this is one of those things that go around the neck that can be used for ID or a key chain.

If so that is also fine.

In my opine.

:evilgrin:

Hartford
05-24-09, 08:36 PM
Oh yeah, a landyard is just like the thing you put your keys on and it would say like "United States Marine Corps" across it or something. I was talking to someone at the recruiter office yesterday and they had one and it was pretty cool.

Well good to hear from some Marines what they think about the shirts and all of that.

If anyone ever asked if I was a Marine I would say NO and make a point of it and then probably just tell them I'm waiting to go to boot camp if they were interested in it.

Thanks!

- Hartford

*edit*

Was thinking something like this:

http://armynavyairforcemarine.com/usmc/tshirt6.jpg

usmcmsf
05-24-09, 08:38 PM
Just don't do anything stupid while wearing it, like get arrested, smoke dope, etc.

Wyoming
05-24-09, 08:39 PM
Just don't be a 'poser'.

You'll be outed pretty damm quick.

Achped
05-24-09, 09:24 PM
Look at the bright side, if you make it and actually end up in the fleet you won't have to wear a moto shirt because everyone will know you're a Marine anyway ;)

Hartford
05-24-09, 10:04 PM
Just don't do anything stupid while wearing it, like get arrested, smoke dope, etc.
Wouldn't do any of those things no matter what I was wearing! They way I see it is I don't want to have like an hour of "fun" doing some drug or doing something stupid to get in trouble that then ruins my entire life. I want to be a Marine (MP) and eventually a civilian police officer so having a clean record is pretty much a necessity. I've yet to even get a speeding ticket. :thumbup:

P.S. Matt you ignored my PM. Jerkface. :devious:

PaidinBlood
05-24-09, 10:44 PM
Was he talking bout ol' motor mouth jerkface hula boy? I sure as shi t hope not...

SF Matt.. :D

MLMonk
05-24-09, 11:47 PM
After MCT and MOS school, I never wear Marine Corps shirts or anything like that, don't know why really.

As a poolee, I don't find anything wrong with wearing them, as long as you don't claim yourself as a Marine.

Hartford
05-24-09, 11:52 PM
I can say that, but who the **** are you???
Matt is Cpl. "Achped". I've known him for YEARS on another forum, I don't think he'll be offended. ;) The "ped" in his name cames from Go-Ped, those little annoying scooters with weedwacker engines on them...I know him from a forum dedicated to those.

- Hartford

JoeInVille
05-25-09, 05:39 AM
Get a Huge EGA on your forearm RAHHH and usmc on tricep, screw the moto gear go all out.

SGT7477
05-25-09, 08:33 AM

Are Poolees "allowed" to wear USMC t-shirts/sweatshirts, sticker on car, lanyard? Or is it looked down upon as you have not yet earned the Title of Marine? Does it really just not matter? I just don't want some old-school vet to chew my butt out one day. :evilgrin:

Thanks,
Hartford
The way I see it you are representing the best there is and the best there will ever be, if you have brass balls feel free to wear it to boot camp, if a vet does chew your azz I would say you had it coming.:evilgrin:

GavinL91
05-25-09, 05:22 PM
Just don't do anything stupid while wearing it, like get arrested, smoke dope, etc.lol,picture somebody on COPS wearing the shirt getting arrested while drunk and yelling curse words.

Phantom Blooper
05-25-09, 07:34 PM

Matt is Cpl. "Achped". I've known him for YEARS on another forum, I don't think he'll be offended. The "ped" in his name cames from Go-Ped, those little annoying scooters with weedwacker engines on them...I know him from a forum dedicated to those.

- Hartford

This is a MARINE forum not the annoying little weed whacker scooter forum....if you want to call the Corporal the above on that forum and he is willing then that is cyberspace fair game.

However this being the said above Marine forum...ALL Marines regardless of rank,TIS and affiliation to anybody that personally knows them has earned the title of Marine and deserves the respect as such!

If you want to address the Cpl in this manner take it over to the weed whacker forum...those annoying little things that aggravate the pure shiat out of me a 0545 every morning from some kid going to school or work!:evilgrin:

commdog7
05-25-09, 10:28 PM
lol,picture somebody on COPS wearing the shirt getting arrested while drunk and yelling curse words.

I've seen that once, made me cringe just watching it. The guy was begging the Cops not to arrest him because it would disqualify him from joining, it was embarrassing.

Hartford
05-25-09, 10:33 PM
This is a MARINE forum not the annoying little weed whacker scooter forum....if you want to call the Corporal the above on that forum and he is willing then that is cyberspace fair game.

However this being the said above Marine forum...ALL Marines regardless of rank,TIS and affiliation to anybody that personally knows them has earned the title of Marine and deserves the respect as such!

If you want to address the Cpl in this manner take it over to the weed whacker forum...those annoying little things that aggravate the pure shiat out of me a 0545 every morning from some kid going to school or work!:evilgrin:
Aye, Sir!

Phantom Blooper
05-26-09, 06:55 AM
Aye, Sir!

:thumbup:

:evilgrin:

0231Marine
05-26-09, 07:23 AM
I've seen that once, made me cringe just watching it. The guy was begging the Cops not to arrest him because it would disqualify him from joining, it was embarrassing.

I saw an episode of Cops where the guy gets busted with drugs in his car and they pull him out and what's he wearing? A "COPS" shirt!

Another episode had a guy get arrested for a warrant on a traffic stop and he was wearing a "I don't look for trouble, trouble finds me" shirt.

Talk about irony!

KawiGunny
05-26-09, 07:35 AM
My opinion is like a lot of other Marines. It is like supporting your favorite sports team. Just act accordingly when wearing anything that referrences the Marine Corps.

As for the title of this thread..... it is WEAR..... not where.

Steve0231
05-27-09, 09:29 PM
Here's a tip; make sure you wear a "moto t-shirt" when you leave for boot camp. The Drill Instructors like when you are wearing something that says "Devil Dog" on it as you are getting off the bus.

Hey...you do that and it is guaranteed that you will be in shape within the first few days.. ;)

Hartford
05-28-09, 11:27 AM
Here's a tip; make sure you wear a "moto t-shirt" when you leave for boot camp. The Drill Instructors like when you are wearing something that says "Devil Dog" on it as you are getting off the bus.

Hey...you do that and it is guaranteed that you will be in shape within the first few days.. ;)
Maybe I should wear a smokey too? :bunny:

I'll take a pass on setting myself up to be murdered by the DI's!!! HAH!

NoRemorse
05-28-09, 11:45 AM
Remember to reply with a crisp "Yes, Drill Sergeant" to everything.

MLMonk
05-28-09, 12:00 PM
Or you can armyiz it and say "Yes Drilll Serrrrgeaaant!" with no volume.

NoRemorse
05-28-09, 12:06 PM
Or you can armyiz it and say "Yes Drilll Serrrrgeaaant!" with no volume.

Don't forget the lisp. God help you if you forget to lisp.

Private... did I ask you for volume?

I want you to whisper at me as hard as you can!

Achped
05-29-09, 10:17 AM
HAHA, talk about irony. Ask Mr. Hartford about his first MEPS experience...and which branch it was for :)

And, look up fraternization. While its an online forum and fraternization is not applicable at all to this situation (I flirt with brand new female PFCs all the time in PM ;)) its still in a good habit to get used to doing things our way. Like the SSgt said, if I saw you out on the left coast and we hung out I'd be Matt. But when your boot ass is in the fleet and you run into me and we're at work/in uniform I'm a corporal.

The other branches are pretty informal. I.E. if you're off work you're on a first name basis, even if its a lieutenant and an E3. But not the Marine Corps. The only place I'm not a corporal at is Waikiki. There my name is Kaveka and I chill with my local homies... but no Marines.

Achped
05-29-09, 10:19 AM
And what freaking PM are you talking about? Jerkface? You realize i've been on leave right? Home. Chilling. I know you saw the pictures so shut the hell up and let me enjoy the wonders of a woman's warmth!

Hartford
05-29-09, 12:17 PM
Corporal,

Just saw the pictures. Congratulations, she looks like a keeper! Cute AND she shoots? Epic win. Have fun.

Achped
05-29-09, 12:27 PM
Poolee,

Eat a dick. Have fun.

Hartford
05-29-09, 12:29 PM
Poolee,

Eat a dick. Have fun.
:marine:

Corporal,

I do not even rate Poolee yet. Give me (read: MEPS) about two more weeks to sort some things out.

PaidinBlood
05-29-09, 04:07 PM
Don't worry-there will be plenty left for you to eat in two weeks.... :thumbup:

NoRemorse
05-29-09, 04:25 PM
Don't worry-there will be plenty left for you to eat in two weeks.... :thumbup:

That goes for Jodi too :marine:

Hartford
05-29-09, 05:13 PM
Hahaha, I'll pass on the "eating". :sick:

StoneTheWeak
05-30-09, 11:14 PM
Wouldn't do any of those things no matter what I was wearing! They way I see it is I don't want to have like an hour of "fun" doing some drug or doing something stupid to get in trouble that then ruins my entire life. I want to be a Marine (MP) and eventually a civilian police officer so having a clean record is pretty much a necessity. I've yet to even get a speeding ticket. :thumbup:

If you want to be a civilian police officer, don't be an MP. They don't like former MP's. Being an MP is completely different and forms really bad habits in the eyes of civilian law enforcement agencies. Just being a marine will help you out. Being an MP doesn't give you any preference or qualifications. Now if you get MSG Duty.... THAT is something civilian law enforcement agencies LOVE. Especially like the CIA and FBI.

Hartford
05-30-09, 11:20 PM
PFC "StoneTheWeak" & other Marines,

Do you have to be a MP to get MSG Duty? It looks interesting, although could be boring depending on where you are stationed.

The more I talk to Marines, I keep hearing about how MP looks bad to civilian law enforcement PD's, so I've been looking into Intel more and more. I scored well on the ASVAB (AFQT: 93) so I assume I qualify. I'm going to talk to my recruiter on Monday to get more info. For now I'm just spending much of my free time researching the MOS Field.

Hartford
05-30-09, 11:49 PM
Answered my own question:

"Intelligence Marines also have the opportunity to serve in billets such as drill instructor, recruiter, and Marine Security Guard duty."

Source: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/02.htm

commdog7
05-31-09, 12:40 AM
All Marines regardless of MOS can serve as Marine Security Guards, Drill Instructors, Recruiters, etc. I am on MSG duty now, but my original MOS is radio operator. Marines of all MOS's are desired by civilian law enforement agencies.

Hartford
05-31-09, 12:47 AM
Thank you for the clarification, Sergeant. How are you liking MSG Duty? Based upon your location I'm assuming you're at an embassy in Cuba?

Achped
05-31-09, 03:08 AM
Why is every WM I know a radio operator? Really....

commdog7
05-31-09, 05:04 AM
Hartford: MSG duty is good to go. You guessed right, I am currently serving in Cuba as an MSG. We have a 'US Interest Section', not an embassy because the Cuban gov does not officially want us here- but it's the same thing.

Achped: Most WM's I know are either Supply or Admin, not too many female radio ops out there. You have some weird luck.

agxnemesis
05-31-09, 03:16 PM

Thanks,
Hartford

I Wear my Recruitered issued poolee shirt/american flag bandana/and landyard key chain..to the mall (because I often approach people on the corps-Recruiting-)..as long as you uphold yourself as a Poolee(someone who represents the Corps)..stand straight/talk with respect ext...

I wouldnt advise the car sticker though...That is actually Wearing the EGA..just on your Car

Achped
05-31-09, 08:21 PM
Hartford: MSG duty is good to go. You guessed right, I am currently serving in Cuba as an MSG. We have a 'US Interest Section', not an embassy because the Cuban gov does not officially want us here- but it's the same thing.

Achped: Most WM's I know are either Supply or Admin, not too many female radio ops out there. You have some weird luck.

Nah uh, I know only 3 WMs that are supply, Ive seen like 4 or 5 at IPAC for Hawaii, alllllllllllllllll the rest I know are radio operators. Theres a few here and there, but they're allllllllll 0621s...wtf, over? Maybe they know they'll have the chance to be with more guys in that MOS.

PaidinBlood
05-31-09, 08:40 PM
Maybe they know they'll have the chance to be with more guys in that MOS.

sheeyit man...you're too much :thumbup:

Let's see where this goes...ding ding round one!

http://www.nitesho.com/images/nikkita1.jpg

redman1
06-01-09, 06:26 AM
When I got out in 72 all law enforcement including the HP wanted Marines. I had my house broke into while on leave before I was discharged. The Damn sheriff was more interested into talking me into...

TJR1070
06-01-09, 08:50 AM
Most civilian law enforcement agencies have a written and physical agility test which will provide a combined score that is used to determine hiring order, provided you qualify after your background investigation, physical and physcological examinations. Service in the military might qualify you for extra points toward hiring or promotion, however MOS usually has no bearing on whether you are hired or not.

Hey Achped maybe they know they'll have a better chance of meeting you being an 0651. Then again maybe not.

commdog7
06-01-09, 09:05 AM
Nah uh, I know only 3 WMs that are supply, Ive seen like 4 or 5 at IPAC for Hawaii, alllllllllllllllll the rest I know are radio operators. Theres a few here and there, but they're allllllllll 0621s...wtf, over? Maybe they know they'll have the chance to be with more guys in that MOS.

Maybe it's because WM's make outstanding radio ops!

Beware, we are invading- no MOS is safe.... :D

PaidinBlood
06-01-09, 08:39 PM
Beware, we are invading- no MOS is safe.... :D
.http://www.twainhart.com/there%20goes%20the%20neighborhood.jpg

redman1
06-02-09, 07:20 PM
Not on my watch! You should have to earn it.
Semper Fi Redman1

Cressler
07-11-09, 12:12 PM
Remember to reply with a crisp "Yes, Drill Sergeant" to everything.

Isn't it Yes Drill Instructor?

Hartford
07-11-09, 01:20 PM
Isn't it Yes Drill Instructor?
He was joking...there's a video of Army Basic Training floating around on YouTube and when the Privates sound off its very quiet/not angry/sassy. :bunny:

Here's part of the video, it's like summer camp! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIE1xiUKkfY&feature=related

AmericanWarrior
07-18-09, 09:51 PM
Heh, I'm half tempted to wear the DI's campaign hat when I go to Boot camp. You can get it off the internet for $100.

But those three months of torture just arent worth the opportunity to be sarcastic.:scared:

AmericanWarrior
07-18-09, 10:40 PM
By the way, regarding the last post. I hope everyone knows that I was joking... I dont have $100 and even if I did, I couldnt wear the Campaign Cover because it has an EGA. Which of course, if I was stupid enough to waste my money on such a cool looking accesory that I knew the Drill Instructors would not let me keep, I would remove the EGA anyways. But regardless, just joking.
I brought it up and my recruiter and the Master Seargent were laughing there butts off so I thought it would be funny to you guys as well.
Allright, tchau.

JWG
07-18-09, 11:00 PM
Heh, I'm half tempted to wear the DI's campaign hat when I go to Boot camp. You can get it off the internet for $100.

But those three months of torture just arent worth the opportunity to be sarcastic.:scared:

Hehe. Save your money and blood, sweat, and tears and just Paypal that $100 to me bro. Haha.

chadhertz
07-18-09, 11:38 PM
He was joking...there's a video of Army Basic Training floating around on YouTube and when the Privates sound off its very quiet/not angry/sassy. :bunny:

Here's part of the video, it's like summer camp! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIE1xiUKkfY&feature=related

Definitely looks like summer camp. ughhh undisciplined. Maybe I shouldn't be saying that because I'm still a civilian, but man I'm glad I'm joining the Marines.

JWG
07-19-09, 01:19 AM
Don't worry. You are not alone in the feeling. I believe every branch should be just as rigorous. Follow the lead of the Few and Proud and ensure America's safety with the best of training for service men and women. Ah well, proud to choose the Corps as well.