PDA

View Full Version : In Memoriam

sparkie
05-24-09, 06:00 PM
L/Cpl. James M. Boles, of the 2nd Battalion/4th Marines/3rd MarDiv, was born on the 24th day of May, 1946, in the small city of Ironton, Ohio. Upon the completion of his high school education, he joined the U.S. Marine Corps in the early part of 1965.

Reaching the Republic of Vietnam soon thereafter, L/Cpl. Boles quickly began to establish himself as an agressive, well-trained leader. For on one particular occasion, while being wounded in the process, he successfully extracted his ambushed platoon from a deadly concentration of enemy fire, which had claimed the life of his platoon commander as well as those of several other men. For such bravery and leadership he was meriteriously promoted to sergeant and awarded in the Fall of 1965 both the Silver Star and the Purple Heart. He went on to extend his tour of Vietnam several times, accumulating twenty-eight months 'in country' before returning both to the United States and to civilian life.

It was not long thereafter that Mr. Boles joined the Police Department of Columbus, Ohio, in the Fall of 1968, with the promise to combat lawlessness, the oath to prohibit crime, and the vow to root out violence.

In August of 1971, Mr. Boles left the police department and rejoined the U.S. Marine Corps. He accepted the rank of Lance Corporal and reported to the 2nd Battalion/4th Marines on Okinawa. Slated for another meritorious promotion in late December, he was lost at sea amid heavy waves on the 7th day of December, 1971, while our battalion was afloat on special operations.

Today we realize the L/Cpt. Boles still lives in us - in our memory and in our feelings. Because of this and to keep these sentiments alive tomorrow, we now dedicate this Cruise Book to him. As all of us, he sought peace, desired love, and wished to live the fullness of life.
--------------------
This was Jim's write up way back then. Part of the real story is that we were facinated by the heavy seas outside the hangar deck of the USS Tripoli, LPH 10. The Navy should have shut the hangar doors, but the order haden't come down yet. I had left the group of about 40 Marines held in facination.
As it went, 3 were swept out by the waves, but 2 were returned and hung on. One Marine is important enough to halt the progress of 4 Navy ships for three days, and send out the choppers in a really bad sea.
This is a man I remember far more than just on this day, along with a few others. His name didn't make it to the wall, so I'm posting this on the net for some kind of preminence.

Most will not be remembered by all,,, But all will be remembered by some,,,On this day,,,May God bless us all.

Tonite, I drink to Jim,,,,,,,,:iwo:

Gunner 0313
05-24-09, 08:15 PM
:flag:R.I.P. Lcpl Boles.

S2Scout
12-08-18, 01:52 PM
R.I.P. Mike, thinking of your sacrifice on this day, Dec 8th 1971 in a place very few in the U.S. knew we were, preparing to evacuate U.S. officials and staff from our embassy in Dacca.

I didn't know Mike well. He had joined 2/4 not that long ago. As an S2 Scout, my teammate and I were generally assigned to Mike’s Echo company. E and H were the only infantry combat elements of the 31st MAU that made the trip with TF74 (the other two companies were offloaded in the PI).
I was on the hanger deck of the Tripoli that afternoon cleaning my weapons about 50ft from the group of Marines at the hanger deck door when the wave hit the ship. To this day, I believe it was a rogue wave that must have been 30+ feet high to cause the ship to move that suddenly. It took a minute to realize two Marines had gone over including Mike and LCpl Fierro. A helo crew pulled Fierro from the water but as we all know, Mike was never found.
Mike – although there were no commendations, medals, or tributes to your sacrifice, know that Marines like me that knew you also honor you. I have never forgotten that day or the days following when we lost another seven good Marines on that operation. Whiskey to you this evening James Michael!

FoxtrotOscar
12-10-18, 09:44 AM
I also remember that day very well, I was with "E" 2/4 as a Corporal...

RIP Marine... SF...