PDA

View Full Version : A Memorial Day Promise

rb1651
05-24-09, 11:24 AM
Morning all. Memorial Day is upon us, and I would like to personally thank each and every member here that is/was a combat veteran for all of your Service and Sacrifice.

I'm leaving tonight for a week to go to Saltville, VA., to fulfill my best friend and father-in-law's last request. He was an Army Veteran of the Viet Nam War, serving in country with the 101st Airborne. He lost his final battle to cancer on October 29th of last year. I was with him as he was making his final journey, and he asked me to take his ashes back home and spread them on his parents graves.

I will never forget this man. The times we shared together, the teasing we gave each other about our respective service; at times the families thought we were going to kill each other, LOL; but it was all in good fun. I have nothing but repect for this man, and losing him was like losing my own Dad 25 years ago.

My wife and my Mother-in-Law discussed when a good time would be to take him home as we waited for the end to come, and because of his love of our Country, I felt it only appropriate that I would fulfill my mission on Memorial Day. I told Norman this shortly before God called him home, and he smiled at me through his mask, took my hand and pulled me toward his mouth, and said to me, "Thank You, you fukin' Jarhead!", and took his last breath 5 minutes later.

So Norman Gene Poston, USA, tomorrow you will be home. I miss you buddy, and will never forget. :cry:

:iwo:

cw2533
05-24-09, 12:35 PM
Semper Fi Marine What you are doing is outstanding.:flag:

OleDoc
05-24-09, 05:19 PM
Norman Gene Poston, may you always have.....

Fair Winds and Following Seas

sparkie
05-24-09, 06:18 PM
Sometimes there is no difference between tears of sadness, and joy.
Semper Fi,,,, Dogface.

Wyoming
05-24-09, 08:07 PM
Semper Fidelis, Norman Gene Poston, USA.

DocGreek
05-24-09, 11:34 PM
Sometimes...doing the right thing, is also the most difficult. My prayers are with...BOTH of you....SEMPER FI....DOC

ameriken
05-24-09, 11:55 PM
Norman,

May The Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you.
May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.

Phantom Blooper
05-25-09, 05:59 AM
Godspeed,fair winds and following seas!

RIP Norman Gene Poston USA.

Very nice of you and the family to fulfill the last wishes of a dying solider and on a day that is such a fitting tribute!:flag:

Semper Fidelis!:evilgrin: