PDA

View Full Version : Rotator Cuff

2114Wollmann
05-23-09, 03:08 PM
Hello Marines I have a quick question. I have been having some issues with my rotator cuff. My pull-ups with palms facing towards does not hurt as bad, but when my palms are facing away it hurts bad. Ive also tried doing dips and some lateral flies but it shows some pain so I stop. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this, and what they did to help resolve it. My ship date is not until July 6th, so I hope I can have some time to heal. I went to the doctor and he noted it is not torn, but maybe just strained. I guess if anything I'm looking for some techniques to maybe speed up the healing process. Maybe ways to ice it or put heat strips or something. Thanks in advance!

Rocky C
05-23-09, 03:14 PM
ICEYHOT, It's the best!!!
Glad you went to the Dr.
Take a little time to recover and if it doesn't hurt to do pushups alternate back and forth.
Carry On!!!

BigGunz90
05-23-09, 04:17 PM
I had some bad shoulder problems a couple months ago. Every time I would lift something it was just a shooting pain in my shoulder. All I did was let it heal. I iced it occasionally when it hurt bad, but it only took 2-3 weeks to heal completely.

usmcmsf
05-23-09, 05:19 PM
I tore my rotator cuff senior year of h.s during baseball, a slight tear but still hurt the same. I was doing rehab bc of baseball for it, using bands and light 3-5 weights. Did it every other day of the week and it helped alot. Bothered me for awhile doing pull-ups, but it will get stronger assuming it is not to messed up. Keep after it and good luck.

2114Wollmann
05-23-09, 05:42 PM
Thanks so much for the advice Marines and Poolee! My motivation was kinda hurt after this happened, but now with this advice I feel extremely motivated! I believe this injury started at a mini boot camp, after doing the ammo can lift. But thanks again!

Capital M
05-23-09, 05:56 PM
Could be something with your labrum. Unless you went to an orthopedic surgeon and got an MRI, it's hard to say if it's torn or not.

Not to scare you or anything, I had similar set of symptoms, outward palms and extensions like that hurt, I could bench, but military presses were bothersome... (Family) Doctor diagnosed it as tendonitis/inflammation in the rotator...PT was prescribed but that didn't help. I went to an orthopedic a year later because it was still bothersome (not really hindering and I could work through it, but it was painful).. He thought it was something else, not a tear, but ordered an MRI to be sure. Turns out my labrum was torn in three places.

6 months after surgery I'm not having any problems I was having. Do I regret having the surgery? Yes. I could have managed boot camp (or OCS) with it, it wasn't that bad. And I probably would be going to one of the two this summer. But now I'm kind of glad I did it, one less thing to worry about.

I'd say take a week off from doing anything that bothers it (conentrate on running etc) Ice it every day, take 600mg (usually 3 tabs) of advil 3 times a day. [It's an anti-inflammatory and will calm your shoulder down, but if you're allergic or haven't taken advil on a normal basis, watch it] and like LCpl Rhode Island said, Icy hot, Icy Hot, Icy Hot. The **** works magic.

If you're looking to ship out on time, I wouldn't inquire about it any further unless it really becomes a problem. I'm ahead of schedule on my recovery (6.5 months post op) and I still don't think I'm healed enough to be cleared for service by my surgeon or MEPS.

My dad's a Physical Therapist and does a lot of shoulder work (part of the reason why I'm ahead of schedule on recovering), I know he has some online material about shoulder strengthing with bands and such, somewhere. I'll try and find it, If I do I'll shoot you a PM so I can email the stuff to you.

Goodluck

underdogBJJ
05-24-09, 02:24 AM
Tiger Balm is even better than IcyHot, it comes in a little jar, or if you can find it, a topical cream and patch. They all work awesome.

Rocky C
05-25-09, 09:39 AM
Tiger Balm is even better than IcyHot, it comes in a little jar, or if you can find it, a topical cream and patch. They all work awesome.

Dit Da Jow is even better than Tiger Balm if you can find it.
I live in Rhode Island so I go to Chinatown in Boston to pick it up where it has been fermented for over a Hundred years.

underdogBJJ, good luck in your Martial Arts Training.

Rocky,

Former owner of the "Kinjite" Bo Staff Company, 5th Degree Black Belt ( Shihan ).
Instructors, The late great GrandMaster Ed Parker, The late great GrandMaster Prof. Nick Cerio