PDA

View Full Version : Sitting In: The red, white, blue and you

thedrifter
05-23-09, 12:26 PM
Sitting In: The red, white, blue and you
By Sandra “Sam” Trapani/ guest columnist
Fri May 22, 2009, 10:58 AM EDT

Georgetown -

I know that the tradition of celebrating Memorial Day began more than 140 years ago but for me the tradition began when I was 8 years old. I was a bright-eyed Brownie Scout living in Topsfield and was told by my leader that I was going to be given the honor of holding the American flag in our town parade. At this young age I couldn’t begin to understand what this privilege meant but I did know I’d be up front, have a special flag holder around my neck and be first to reach the end of the parade route and the awaiting ice cream!

That Memorial Day was unusually hot and muggy for May and my chubby legs felt that mile walk to the cemetery in Topsfield seemed more like ten miles. But it was undeniably a moving experience. The sound of the high school marching band, the humble heroes in their uniforms who marched, the heavy fragrance of lilacs on the way to cemetery, the jolt my heart felt when the muskets sounded, and yes, the cool reward of ice cream surrounded by my neighbors on the town common after the parade was over still rush through my mind as I think of those days.

In my teenage years when most of my friends had stopped going to the Memorial Day parade I continued. My mom had married a wonderful man who had been a Marine in WWII. Memorial Day for him was something beyond what I had understood. And because of him I will forever be touched by the sound of Taps. I get actual goose bumps.

My normally stoic step-dad was moved to tears as the bugle hit the first solemn note. I could see his blue eyes that normally twinkled were shadowed by memories of friends lost and battles fought he could not even talk about.

I would ask him questions about where he had served. He told me how he eagerly signed up and even lied about his age to join the Marines and the war effort when he was just 17 years old. He would not talk in detail about his experience but he would awaken 50 years later out of a sound sleep trapped in a nightmare of flashbacks from Iwo Jima. He would remember with a sad smile the first and last names of each and every one of his buddies that had not come back from the war. Although he received a purple heart and bronze star himself, he would always stress that he was not the hero. It was the fallen soldiers and their families who were.

When I had my own children they too joined in the family tradition of going to the Memorial Day parades. The parades were not as grand as they use to be, but my kids still thought the muskets firing and seeing soldiers in uniform was cool. They knew that Grampy was a brave Marine and the deep love of his country clearly rubbed off on them. We’d sing every patriotic song we knew on the way down to the parade dressed in our red, white and blue. My step-dad passed away three years ago but we continue to attend Memorial Day parades. It is one of our traditions I am grateful we have passed on to our kids.

Last year as we stood in front of the Town Hall in Georgetown my 7-year-old son asked me, “Mom, why aren’t there many people here?” I looked around and he was right, the services were sparsely attended by maybe 100 people. I wasn’t quite sure how to answer that. I know people are busy and celebrating Memorial Day is sometimes just an excuse now for a long weekend. Also many members of the ‘greatest generation’ are disappearing and with them the patriotic pride and resolve born of living through a world war.

But I hope that more people continue to remember and participate in this day of remembrance. Memorial Day is a day to celebrate and thank all those people who died to create what we have today. And we are still in a world of war today even if at times it seems so far away. It feels that way because of our brave men and women who protect us.

So this Memorial Day whether it is attending your town parade or placing flowers and flags on the graves of veterans, or just taking a personal moment of silence to be grateful for those who died in service, share this privilege and tradition with your families.

Top 5 reasons to attend the parade in Georgetown this year

Every person who attends will receive an American flag to wave as the parade goes by!

Former Army Infantry officer and current Selectman Phil Trapani will present to the town of Georgetown an American flag that was commissioned by Col. M Burr III. Col. Burr wrote on the back of the casing of the flag, “To the place I miss the most, Georgetown.” This flag was flown over the Headquarters of Regimental Combat Team 8 at Camp Fallujah in Iraq. Georgetown resident Col. Burr is currently deployed in Iraq.

Come check out the newly redesigned Harry Murch Memorial Park — flags will be flying.

Have a chance to thank our local veterans — they are walking history books.

Feel patriotic pride and continue a historic tradition of attending the Memorial Day parade with your family — see our Georgetown High School band, scout troops, Police Honor Guard, town officials including those newly elected, firemen and military marching.

Sandra “Sam” Trapani is a Georgetown resident, active volunteer and mother.

Ellie