PDA

View Full Version : German jitters over US military pullout

thedrifter
07-16-03, 05:51 AM
German jitters over US military pullout
14 July 2003

MUNICH - German concerns of a major US military withdrawal from Germany in retaliation against Berlin's opposition to the Iraq war were heightened by a weekend interview with the head of American forces in Europe.

US Marine Corps General James L. Jones, who is also the new US NATO commander in Europe, confirmed that the United States is considering major changes in the size and structure of its military in Europe, including converting large, rigidly staffed bases to smaller, more flexible forces.

All US bases in Germany currently are under review with exception of giant Ramstein Air Base which, because of its strategic importance, Jones said in an interview with Sueddeutsche Zeitung.

"We would like to operate Ramstein for as long as we're welcome in Germany," he was quoted as saying. "I don't want to talk about the others."

While saying it was premature to speculate about base closings, Jones said "a whole array of concrete proposals" have been put to US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfield for consideration.

His remarks came in the wake of a German press report earlier this year claiming that the United States will close a number of its giant military bases in central and southern Germany, leaving only Ramstein and Frankfurt air bases and one tank brigade largely intact.

The economies of a number of towns in southern Germany are dependent on the presence of American military personnel and their dependents.

The report in Die Welt newspaper quoted "well informed" sources as saying the cuts will affect some 40,000 U.S. Army infantry forces currently stationed in far southern Germany. The US presence at those bases, including Heidelberg, will be trimmed to just 10,000, the report said.

The report cited three reasons for the troop withdrawals from Germany. Firstly, the American armed forces are undergoing major restructuring in all sectors. Secondly, the US is keen on increasing its military presence in Eastern Europe.

And thirdly, the United States is mired in a bitter dispute with France and Germany over Iraq and the expansion of NATO to Eastern Europe. Germany has been home to the core of the US military on the continent since the end of World War II.

Jones reportedly wants to reduce the 100,000 U.S. personnel based in Europe in favour of a smaller, rotating force that could quickly respond to emerging contingencies, such as in the Middle East, Africa or Asia.

A smaller, rotating troop presence would allow the Pentagon to close schools, military commissaries and other infrastructure for dependents.

US and Polish officials have denied they are holding discussions to move US bases in Germany to Poland.

Warsaw, which maintains close ties to the United States, strongly supported the US-led war against Iraq.

Bulgaria and the United States reportedly have discussed the installation of up to five US military bases on Bulgarian territory if US bases in Germany close.

http://www.expatica.com/germany.asp?pad=190,205,&item_id=32766

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Lock-n-Load
07-16-03, 06:33 AM
:marine: Let the Krauts choke on their sauerkraut and sausages...good planning to relocate in more friendlier countries [Poland an Bulgaria]..we still have the Germans surrounded...they bayoneted the USA an England about hostilities vs Iraq...so be it....no more Yankee dollars to Uber Alles [Loserville]:marine:

richgitz
07-16-03, 08:23 AM
I only have one thing to say.
"WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND":yes:

Devildogg4ever
07-16-03, 04:32 PM
I only have one thing to say.
"WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND":yes:
Ya got that right, Brother!
I hate to say it, but theres a couple countries overdue!:yes:

richgitz
07-16-03, 09:00 PM
This is the first time anyone has agreed with me. I was watching
the news today, and they had someone from Germany on with
Pres Bush. And the news people ake if Germany would send
troops. You know what his reply was, "NO", but we'll send our
Companys to help rebuild. Out for the almighty dollar. P*** on
Germany, they can go F**k them selfs, and the French too. And
don't let us forget RUSSIA. And that B***H with the new deck
of cards. I need a beer, or may=be a couple of of BEERS. to all
my BROTHERS out there, SEMPER=FI and God Bless you all.:marine: :banana: :bunny: