PDA

View Full Version : Pure Marine moto

sbombard15
05-22-09, 07:02 PM
I started going to a gym about three months back. I go everyday after school and if I hurry I would always see a pick up truck with marine bumper stickers everywhere and a purple heart license plate and I could tell he fought in vietnam. When I got in the locker room I could tell right away who the truck belonged to. I saw a old man that had a high and tight and everything he owned said Marine Corps or had the EGA on it. For three months I would just look at this man and I would only give him a nod of my head and change. Well I started filling out my paper work yesterday and when I went to the gym today guess who else was there. Since it was just me and him in the locker room and I am finally taking the first step toward my dream i decided that I was worthy enough and got the balls to talk to him. I opened the conversation by asking him what his mos was. We talked for over in hour and through the conversation I learned he was in for 28 years, did 2 and 1/2 tours as a machine gunner in Vietnam, left in 77 then reenlisted during the gulf war. He wasent infantry when he reenlisted, he did recruiting duty and other jobs. And deeper in the conversation he tells me he runs 4 miles in 33 minutes everyday. Now that kind of stung because he is 76 years old (he told me) and I have a hard time doing that and I am 17 years old. We talked about the Marine Corps and what he did in it and what I was planning to do in it and he told me a bunch of stories that had lessons in them for over an hour till I had to leave. I believe this was the finest example of moto there is especially when he began to change then I saw Maroon and gold underwear lol.

Not any questions here just a story that makes me want to join the brotherhood even more and I thought some of you might enjoy. I think it is amazing that you can sit and talk to a Marine forever even in a locker room.

BR34
05-22-09, 07:11 PM
especially when he began to change then I saw Maroon and gold underwear lol.

:D ha!

Wyoming
05-22-09, 07:46 PM
... and he told you to spell Marine HOW?

sbombard15
05-22-09, 08:04 PM
... and he told you to spell Marine HOW?

Sorry for any typos. Somehow one or two always slips.

Wyoming
05-22-09, 10:04 PM
Not capitalizing Marine, is not a typo. Proofread!

Now, the 1st words out of your mouth, the next time you meet the VietNam Veteran should be, 'Welcome Home, Thanks for your Service'.

Then, turn him on to this site.

MattNC
05-22-09, 10:18 PM
Yeah, its absolutely mind-blowing. I work in a grocery store, so we have hundreds of people in and out every day. I've talked to numerous guys from every branch, and they all have some great stories no matter the branch. Probably the two most interesting guys I've met are: A 22 year Marine, who served as a Reconnaissance Marine in Vietnam, and finished his career as a Major. The other; An elderly man who served as a paratrooper in World War II. He lied about his age to get overseas to defend his country. I have the utmost respect for any man who joins the military, but these are two of the most motivating people I have ever met. The retired Major always tells me "It's something I would never do again, but you could pay me no amount to replace the fun I had while in".

sbombard15
05-22-09, 10:50 PM
Not capitalizing Marine, is not a typo. Proofread!

Now, the 1st words out of your mouth, the next time you meet the VietNam Veteran should be, 'Welcome Home, Thanks for your Service'.

Then, turn him on to this site.

I apologize. I have never encountered any sort of Marine vet except my recruiter so I was very nervous and I didt know what to say at all.

JWG
05-23-09, 12:15 AM
Awesome story, but all seriousness aside. Quit checking out other men's underwear! Hehe.