PDA

View Full Version : Attention!!

Killer01
05-22-09, 06:35 PM
I have a question regarding how the marines will look at my past, history- during the background check.

In relation to having seen a psychiatrist a few months ago- which I have- i would like to know if the Marines will have someone look into these records while i am at Boot Camp?

When i tell them, why i went to see one, and what we talked about- then i tell them the doc's name and stuff.

StrikeQ
05-22-09, 07:04 PM
I have a question regarding how the marines will look at my past, history- during the background check.

In relation to having seen a psychiatrist a few months ago- which I have- i would like to know if the Marines will have someone look into these records while i am at Boot Camp?

When i tell them, why i went to see one, and what we talked about- then i tell them the doc's name and stuff.

You should provide that information at MEPS, before thinking about Boot Camp. It'll either be no big deal, require a waiver, or be disqualifying based on the circumstances. Being recent will make a difference as well.

Make sure your Recruiter knows all about it.

Killer01
05-22-09, 07:24 PM
yeah, all MEPS wanted was a note from the pschiatrist saying that i we talked like 2 times, and that i no longer go see her.

I hoping that is all they ask for. The MEPs doc said that to him i seemed good to go, but he just wanted like a 'paper trail' or something.

StrikeQ
05-22-09, 07:34 PM
If MEPS has all the information it's already in your file. So the DI's and everyone else will already have that information available.

As long as you weren't dishonest you're in good shape. If you were and give someone a reason to expect so they can and most likely will dig deeper. Though it'll probably come to light at some point anyways (Security Clearance and such) without you giving them a reason to look. So just be truthful.

Killer01
05-22-09, 07:41 PM
Yeah, that's what my recruiter says- If some more serious situations appear at boot camp and I display some deeper issues, then They will go ask for more information. But, as long as I make it through boot camp without causing unnecessary attention to myself, making those around me think i have some issues, then they will just go with what I've given MEPS.

semperfi170
05-22-09, 09:18 PM
How about learning to capitalize Marine?!!! Also, proper capitalization and grammar would be approriate when posting. Read the site rules.

Eldridge0311
05-22-09, 09:49 PM
I do not mean to say anything bad if I am. But how do they find out about therapists?

Killer01
05-22-09, 10:15 PM
I don't know what form, but one of the forms you fill out for MEPS asks if you have ever been to one.

CAPITALIZATION! AYE AYE SIR!!

Kreegz
05-22-09, 10:17 PM
I had to go through this. It took about a month and a half before I was cleared by the MEPS doctors. It seems like whatever I gave them wasn't enough and they kept requesting more and more information. I eventually had to give the notes that the psychologist took on me for every visit I ever had with him.

A little back-story, My dad was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force, we moved around ALOT. I've moved 8 times and lived in 7 different states during the first 18 years of my life. We were stationed in MacDill AFB in Tampa for 4 years (the longest I have ever lived in one place). I grew really attached to all the friends I made there, so when it was time to move again I took it extremely hard, this was in the summer of '07 between my Sophomore and Junior years of High School. When we got to Dallas I never really fit in at school and I shut down socially. I went about 8 months without saying more than 10 words to someone else my own age face to face. I got a bit depressed about the entire situation and my mother got extremely worried about me and wanted me to go to counseling. I went to a psychologist for 6 months from April until October.

What got me motivated and through my depression was the thought of joining the Marines. I told my parents last summer that I was seriously considering enlisting in the Armed Forces(I wasn't sure which one yet) out of high school and they were extremely supportive, much moreso than a majority of parents out there. Most parents want there kids to go to college and become Rocket Scientists or Doctors or something, so i Wasn't sure if they were gonna be alright about me enlisting instead of atleast going to college and becoming an officer(my dad went to the Air Force Academy). My dad of course assumed that I would want to join the Air Force and was really excited for me.

After reading up on each branch, I decided on the Marine Corps. When I told my dad this, he was a bit disappointed at first and asked me a whole bunch of questions trying to get me to change my mind, I guess he just took it for granted and assumed I would go for the Air Force. After I outlined and explained my motivations for choosing the Marines( the brothership, the integrity, the tradition, the respect, etc.), he was completely supportive of me again. He said he was just making sure I chose the Corps for all the right reasons, and that i have to be 100% certain that this is what I want if I am going to survive in the Marines. I told him that I was more motivated about becoming a Marine than anything else I had ever done in my life. He told me a bunch of stories of when he worked with Marines and how much they impressed him with their professionalism. I also made some friends through the DEP and the poolee functions as well. It really helped me to be around other individuals who were as motivated as I was about this.

My mother of course was really worried about it, she brought up the standard lines "But all Marines a Brutes!", "They'll turn you into a cold blooded killer", and my favorite "You're going to be sent to Iraq and die!". My dad stepped in and explained everything I had told him earlier. She's still a bit skeptical about it, but she supports me and I'm grateful for that( I have an inkling that her feelings are going to be different when she see me on graduation day;)).

So getting back to the point of the thread, I wanted to DEP in right after my 18th birthday in November, but I had wait a month and a half before they would even allow me to go to MEPS. I eventually had to get all of the notes that the doctor took during every single one of our visits for 6 months before they let up and let me go. Luckily I had a completely clean background otherwise which probably helped my case a lot. No criminal history, not even a speeding ticket, no record with the police at all, as well as the fact that I have never done any drugs in my life. It was a great feeling finally signing a contract and getting a ship date. The rest has been gravy since.

Sorry for the wall-of-text story. I didn't intend to write all of this, I guess I just kept typing and one thing led to another. Good Luck Killer01!

Killer01
05-22-09, 10:24 PM
Considering I only saw this doctor psychiatrist twice- I don't expect MEPS to be asking for that much more information.

nrml1
05-23-09, 02:40 AM
Prepare for the unexpected.

-Dedicated

NoRemorse
05-23-09, 07:03 AM
I do not mean to say anything bad if I am. But how do they find out about therapists?

During the moment of truth... the work up for your security clearance when they start chatting with your folks and friends... when you finally pop after going to the chaplain or CO because you're depressed.

They got ways and means :evilgrin: