PDA

View Full Version : You Know What I Miss On A Hot Day???

Rocky C
05-22-09, 02:24 PM
You know me and MY Random thoughts!!!

It's a hot day in Rhode Island today and as I sit here talking with my Brothers and Sisters on this forum I just had a Random thought when I was a kid and the ice cream man would come by and he had these 2 GIANT Waffels and in between was this HUGE square chunk of Vanilla ice cream for 25 cents.
If he came by right now at this very moment and had that I would give him $10 bucks for one.

But that was then and this is now.

Ok, just a Random thought on a Hot Day...
Semper Fi,
Rocky

charm1110
05-22-09, 02:40 PM
2 GIANT Waffels and in between was this HUGE square chunk of Vanilla ice cream for 25 cents.
If he came by right now at this very moment and had that I would give him $10 bucks for one.

That'd probably cost 10 bucks nowadays, I know what you mean about the ice cream man though we just got one in the neighborhood a couple of months ago and the kids get real excited when they hear the music from the truck coming down the road.:)

SGT7477
05-22-09, 04:12 PM
Them were the good times with not a care in the world, Semper FI.

Rocky C
05-22-09, 05:21 PM
Them were the good times with not a care in the world, Semper FI.

:thumbup: Yes they were!!!
Semper Fi,
Rocky

NoRemorse
05-22-09, 05:30 PM
Was in the bronx with the family yesterday. Ice cream truck came by. Ya can't pass up Mr Softee when he comes by with a cake cone full of soft serve and some sprinkles.

I wish I was smart enough to shut up and enjoy my childhood while I was a child and not lament how short our time of innocence is.

Marine84
05-22-09, 05:37 PM
To hell with the ice cream man! Homemade ice cream sitting in the shade of a greeeeeaaaaaat big Oak tree at my Grandmama's house.

And Mama made snow cream (if you've never had this, you were a deprived child) if we had snow in the winter. Mayfield makes a snow cream that tastes juuuuuuuuuust like it so I can have it any time I want now.

Rocky C
05-22-09, 05:41 PM
To hell with the ice cream man! Homemade ice cream sitting in the shade of a greeeeeaaaaaat big Oak tree at my Grandmama's house.

And Mama made snow cream (if you've never had this, you were a deprived child) if we had snow in the winter. Mayfield makes a snow cream that tastes juuuuuuuuuust like it so I can have it any time I want now.

Tell me about snow cream???
I'm 50 years old and I don't know about this.

Rocky

Sgt Jim
05-22-09, 07:38 PM
just dont use the yellow snow.

mcvet57103
05-22-09, 09:05 PM
When I was 16 back in 73 I drove a Ice Cream wagon for a place called Boyl's Joyland ( a small amusement park) in Topeka, Ks. I did that for two weeks. After two weeks, I owed them $5. I ate up all my profits. But I had a fun two weeks. Found out one thing. You can't cool down a thermos of homemade tea by putting dry ice in it. Awwwww the memories. SF

DocGreek
05-22-09, 10:46 PM
I remember The Good Humor man, and Popsicle Bill....twenty five cents bought choc. covered fudge ice cream....WOW!!!....DOC

sparkie
05-22-09, 10:56 PM
As a kid,,,,, I pedaled an Ice Creme bicycle with the cooler in the front. End of the day, we would put the dry ice in baby food jars with a little water, throw them in the creek, and wait for the big bang,,,,, Oh,,Yea..... I remember...

Gunner 0313
05-22-09, 11:52 PM
http://www.chillywillysicecream.com/hop-1.jpg

:flag:I remember our ice cream man driving a truck just like this. Now that I think back he was a sadistic fvck because he used to scrounge apple flavored bubble gum to all of us kids and we would beat the snot out of one another to get it. LOL ! He must have been a Marine. Being the juvenile delinquents that were we'd fvck with him too. We'd hide and as he drove down the block we'd keep yelling "ice cream", and he'd stop and wait. He'd start going again and we'd repeat over and over. LMFAO !

SlingerDun
05-23-09, 12:44 AM
looks like the guys packin cuffs and mace or sumthin

GSEMarine94
05-23-09, 07:12 AM

Oh yeah still make snow cream every time it snows :thumbup:

Rocky C
05-23-09, 07:25 AM
WOW, Now I know what it is!!!
You would think living in New England, I Would Know This.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.......

Snow Cream - ice cream made from snow. What a great idea! Now, some people think this is unsanitary but if you're adventuresome, give it a try. It's a winter treat that doesn't happen often and tastes better than ice cream.
Snow Cream Recipe #1
1-3 Cups of Snow (make sure it's clean!)
1/2 Cup Whipping Cream or other cream of choice
1 T. Sugar
2-3 drops Vanilla flavoring
In a separate bowl, mix cream, sugar and vanilla. Slowly add snow to desired consistency. Eat and enjoy!
All ingredients can be adjusted to suit your particular preferences. You might want to try some other flavorings: cinnamon, butterscotch, almond, or eggnog mix.
Snow Cream Recipe #2
Sweetened Condensed Milk
Pure Vanilla Extract
Cut Mile with Real Milk or Water
Sugar
In a separate bowl, mix condensed milk, sugar and vanilla
Sandy's Old-time Snow Cream Recipe
Basic Recipe
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
scant 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
large bowl of snow (about 3 quarts)
Blend milk, sugar and vanilla. Stir in enough snow to make snow cream to an ice cream consistency.
Variations - There are many variations for snow cream. For example, substitute canned cream for milk for a heavier flavor. Add Nestles Quik for a chocolate snow cream, or use instant cocoa mix. Another variation is to add plump raisins and cinnamon, or add a beaten egg for a nog taste. Puree an overripe banana and add to the mixture. Get creative - you know your family's tastes.
Note: ALWAYS - ALWAYS make sure the snow is clean. It takes at least one to two hours for snow to clean the pollutants from the air, then use only snow that has fallen after that first cleansing snow. It also goes without saying (but I will anyway), to make sure you do not collect the snow where animals and birds eat (or do other things). Cleanliness first. Stress that with the kids, because this is a treat even the younger ones can make for the whole family.

NoRemorse
05-23-09, 07:29 AM
You forgot the vodka/rum/tequila.

Rocky C
05-23-09, 07:57 AM
:)

SGT7477
05-23-09, 08:10 AM

Very true homemade ice cream was the best, Semper FI.:flag:

Marine84
05-23-09, 08:10 AM
And I'm the Southerner in the house! Geez! We used to wish to anybody that we thought could make it happen for it to snow every year.

Rocky, I've never seen the recipes you found but, Mama would just set cups or bowls outside the back door to catch the snow and add a little bit of vanilla when she brought them inside and we had SNOW CREAM!

DAMMIT! Now I have to make a grocery store run! I'm telling you - it tastes just like it, same consistency, everything AND I can have it all year round now. Be back later..............

Rocky C
05-23-09, 08:20 AM
You forgot the vodka/rum/tequila.

Kim, don't forget to stop at the package store like Ray suggested :D
That's a sure fire way to make the WHOLE neighborhood smile on a HOT DAY :thumbup:

Rocky

Marine84
05-23-09, 08:20 AM
Very true homemade ice cream was the best, Semper FI.:flag:

Yeah boy! It was a pain in the a$$ before motorized churns came out but, there was always Daddy or some strong armed Uncle to do the churnin', you know? ;) Grandmama had a little garden she kept and she always grew strawberries that she added in it - you talk about something sooooooooooooooooooo good!

mcvet57103
05-23-09, 10:20 AM
Yeah boy! It was a pain in the a$$ before motorized churns came out but, there was always Daddy or some strong armed Uncle to do the churnin', you know? ;) Grandmama had a little garden she kept and she always grew strawberries that she added in it - you talk about something sooooooooooooooooooo good!When I was a young-n all the men would set around the ice-cream maker in the shade of a big ol maple tree, taking turns cranking the handle while drinking cold beer from a big wash tub full of ice and beer. Women in the house frying chicken, and making tatter-salad, macaroni salad, corn on the cob, and deviled eggs. All us kids would busy ourselves either playing tag, smeer the queer, kick ball, or something similar. After the picknick tables were put end to end and all the food was placed we would have a huge meal, setting under a shade tree with our plates in our laps, and then have home-made ice-cream for desert. Then later in the afternoon out would come the generous slices of home grown watermellon. Seeing who could spit a seed the furtherest was a tradition. OooooMan those were the days. If only we could go back in time..............SF

Old Marine
05-23-09, 11:40 AM

Is the Snow Creme yellow?

Old Marine
05-23-09, 11:43 AM
Churning up some home made Pineapple Ice Cream in the summer. The best there is.

Sgt Jim
05-23-09, 03:57 PM
Watermelon seed fights,always tryed for distance.you know the watermelon tasted better when i was a kid,what happened?.my grandma used to make us snow cream,was the best

mcvet57103
05-23-09, 04:12 PM
Watermelon seed fights,always tryed for distance.you know the watermelon tasted better when i was a kid,what happened?.my grandma used to make us snow cream,was the bestWe used to have so much fun spitting seeds. Seems trivial by todays standards of entertainment doesn't it? And as for snow Ice-cream heck I can still taste it. Mom just put a little milk, some vanilla flavoring, and sturred it all together. Man are we old or what?? LOL SF

Marine84
05-23-09, 07:37 PM
Yeah, Grandmama's whole house was the equivelant of a studio apartment without a bathroom (she had an outhouse and used a chamber pot at night). There was so many of us that the shade tree was the only place all of us could sit and we had to eat in shifts (because there wasn't that many plates). Didn't matter cause all of us grandkids were always walking the woods around her house and threatening to throw one another in the outhouse (we thought it was entertaining - what can I say?)

JWDevilDog
05-23-09, 08:52 PM
That ice cream man sure does wear his uniform with pride. He must have been a Marine.

Sgt Jim
05-23-09, 09:09 PM
If only we could turn back time on all the good things we did as when we small,there is probably a law out there telling we can,t do it any more,might break that law a bunch of times

sparkie
05-24-09, 06:45 AM
If only we could turn back time on all the good things we did as when we small,there is probably a law out there telling we can,t do it any more,might break that law a bunch of times

Like playin 'Smear the Queer'.

mcvet57103
05-24-09, 06:57 AM
Like playin 'Smear the Queer'.Yeah just remembering it is politically incorrect. :evilgrin:

Wyoming
05-24-09, 09:19 AM
Like playin 'Smear the Queer'.

OK Sparkie, what with my sheltered childhood and upbringing, you got me here.

Help me please!

TTX
05-24-09, 02:25 PM
Your guys are talking about homemade icecream and it sounds very yummy. But when I grew up, all I know is this:cry:
http://www.stockphotography.com/img/food/stock_photos/rice.jpg

I hardly see the icecream truck where we live in TX, only see the amigos pushing the icebox on a two wheels cart. I figure they drove the icecream truck men out of business because they sell those icecream cheap.

At work they gave out free freeze pop every summer, and I loved it and ate the hell out of it. My supervisor told me to stay out of the freezer because I ate them too much, since I worked night shift and got access to anywhere I wanted and he could not stop me.:D

sparkie
05-24-09, 03:27 PM

Help me please!

A great Sunday evening boys game in the neighborhood. Basically, one was picked, chased down, tackled, and piled on. Then it was anothers turn.
Never much damage, since mostly played in soft grass.

Great summertime memory,,,,,,,,,,,

Wyoming
05-24-09, 03:33 PM
Gotcha, we did the same, just a different name.

Time and dead brain cells causes me to lose the name!

mcvet57103
05-24-09, 06:01 PM

Help me please!Smear the Queer was a game where you used a football and would throw it up in the air, and either air-borne or after it landed, one of the bunch would grab it. Then the object if you had the ball was to avoid the gang tackle as long as possible. If you didn't have the ball the object was to gang tackle (pile on) the person who had the ball. Thus the name "Smear the Queer". SF