PDA

View Full Version : Parents whose son has Recon contract / in MART or BRC?

MotoDad
05-22-09, 12:26 PM
Hi folks,

I'm trying to connect-up with other parents with a son who has enlisted in the Marine Corps with a UZ contract / 0321 Reconaissance Man....

That is the situation with my son....he shipped-out (12) days ago for MCRD San Diego. After Recruit Training, he will go to SOI for training as an 0311 Rifleman, then on to "RIP" (Reconnaisance Indoctrination Platoon"....name was just recently changed from "MART").....I understand he will remain in RIP for anywhere from 2 weeks up to 3-4 months, depending on how strong he is physically (as judged by PFT score), and how strong his swimming abilities are.....if/when he finally "makes the grade", then it's just a question of when the next BRC class "picks-up".....that's when the true "meat-grinder" will begin for him.....

A few days before he shipped-out, he ran a final PFT and scored 289 (21 pull-ups, 107 crunches and 19:45, 3-mile run)....he also is a very strong swimmer....

Since there are so few of us parents with Recon-contract sons, it would be great to hook-up on here....I would love to hear how your sons are doing and what they think of their MART/RIP and BRC experience so far, what has been the most difficult aspect of their training, etc.....

Our son's are attempting what very few in the Corps have ever attempted (or at least succeeded) in accomplishing....so they (and we parents) need all the support and encouragement we can give each other.....

The terrorist attack on 9/11 happened when my oldest son was in 7th grade....ever since that day, all he has ever wanted to be was a Marine.....now he is finally getting his chance and let me tell you, he is one MOTIVATED young man right now!.....

A huge "thank you!" to all Marines serving this great country....I'm looking forward to my son being able to one day call himself your Brother! :thumbup:

MotoDad out

jcarter73
05-22-09, 04:49 PM
Hey there MotoDad... my Nephew enlisted last March with the UZ contract, and made it all the way through BRC and obtained the coveted MOS of 0321. He actually over achieved... graduated top 3 in his class, and was hand picked for Force Recon after graduation and arrival at his unit. He is now a Force Recon Operator with 3rd Force Recon Co at Camp Schwab, Okinawa Japan. The challenge doesn't end once your son graduates BRC... they keep that intesity up and then some in the Fleet. My Nephew is off to Scout Sniper school in Hawaii in July, then to Army Jump school at Fort Benning, then to SERE school following that. Feel free to ask any questions, as I speak to my Nephew weekly and can be a good source of solid info for you.

Best Regards and best wishes for your Son as he embarks on a wild journey.

MotoDad
05-22-09, 05:45 PM
Hi jcarter73!

Sounds like your Nephew is tearin' it up as a new Recon Marine! Heck, I figured a newly-minted Recon Marine would have to serve at least a couple years in Battalion Recon before they would even get a shot at Force Recon! You must be super-proud of him! :D

There is one question I would appreciate if you would ask your Nephew the next time you talk to him:

How much did his PFT score improve from the time he first arrived at MART until he finished MART and started BRC?

Also, does he remember what his PFT score was when he was actually picked-up to start BRC?

My son was at 289 when he shipped-out for Boot Camp (12) days ago....

Thanks very much for the scoop and best wishes to your Nephew!!! :thumbup:

MotoDad out

jcarter73
05-22-09, 06:01 PM
MotoDad,

Yes, very proud... they only selected the top 3 grads from BRC to become Force Recon Operators... they get a lot more chances for schools like Scout Sniper, Jump and SCUBA than the BN Recon Marines...

His PFT score was a 290 I believe after Boot Camp... his pull-ups improved... 31 in boot camp... and 39 at BRC... now he's over 40!!

Again best wishes for your son's journey.

I'm trying to get orders over there with 3rd Recon BN... I'm an 0431 and can be attached to any BN or Co.