PDA

View Full Version : 'I am proud of my son': Fallen soldiers honored at Memorial Day service (with photo g

thedrifter
05-22-09, 07:33 AM
'I am proud of my son': Fallen soldiers honored at Memorial Day service (with photo gallery & video)

By Kristofer Karol
DAILY PRESS & ARGUS

Next month will mark the fourth anniversary of the death of Marine Lance Cpl. Andrew Kilpela, but for his father, Fowlerville's Michael Kilpela, he remembers receiving the grim news from his fellow Marines like it was yesterday.

The younger Kilpela, 22, was in a vehicle hit by an improvised explosive device in Iraq in June 2005.

"I am proud of my son, as I am of all my children," Michael Kilpela said, adding two more of his sons enlisted in the armed forces after their brother's death. "I am also a father who has had to answer a knock on the door at 11:45 p.m. on that fateful Friday evening and find three Marines standing there, and know that this is the moment that we have prayed day after day we would never have to face.

"At that moment, I hear nothing more because time has stopped and our lives have changed forever," he added.

He shared his story with the rest of the state Senate in Lansing on Thursday as part of the 15th annual Memorial Day service organized by state Sen. Valde Garcia, R-Marion Township. (http://www.livingstondaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=C6&Dato=20090521&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=905210801&Ref=PH">photo gallery)

"The Senate has been acutely aware of the sacrifices that many of our fellow countrymen have made, but especially here, the last eight years since 9/11, we have been more acutely aware of the true cost of freedom," Garcia said. "We here in the Senate know that freedom comes with a price."

The following nine soldiers with Livingston County ties have died in the war on terror: Pfc. Jason Myers, Lance Cpls. Michael Hanks and Andrew Kilpela; Staff Sgts. Paul Johnson, Tom Christensen and Greg McCoy; Major Gerald Bloomfield and Army Spcs. Andrew Daul and Wilson A. Algrim.

During the ceremony, Lt. Col. Greg Durkac of the Michigan Army National Guard shared the story of a soldier who had the day off when most of his team was decimated as an explosion went off in Iraq. That soldier, he said, was committed to keep fighting in Iraq in honor of his fallen comrades and because of the love for his country.

It's because of that type of dedication that ceremonies such as the one at the Capitol are so important, Durkac added.

"Our nation owes our veterans a great deal of thanks and gratitude for the sacrifices made in defense of our freedom," he said. "The highest honor we can give our fallen heroes is to never forget."

In addition to the keynote speakers, the Kalamazoo Pipe Band, a group of bagpipers played a couple of songs, including "Amazing Grace." The Brighton Veterans of Foreign Wars Honor Guard presented the colors.

Senators also dropped a folded U.S. flag into a basket in the center of the chamber for each one of their constituents who had died fighting in Iraq during roughly the last year. There were 15 in total.

Michael Kilpela said while the sacrifices have been important, so, too, is the fact every one who has fought in the last eight years has enlisted or re-enlisted.

"To me, that is absolutely incredible," he said. "That is one reason I am so proud of my sons."

Contact Daily Press & Argus reporter Kristofer Karol at (517) 552-2835 or at kkarol@gannett.com.

http://www.livingstondaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=C6&Dato=20090521&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=905210801&Ref=PH

Ellie