PDA

View Full Version : A little confused...

andrew5760
05-21-09, 08:30 PM
First off before anything else, I would just like to thank all of you men and women who serve our country. You are truely our heroes! <br />
<br />
Let me start of but introducing myself, being a first time...

0231Marine
05-22-09, 07:00 AM
Have you asked your recruiter about your first question?

andrew5760
05-22-09, 09:57 AM
Yes sir. He advised me that if it did not bother me It won't be a factor, and that It could be fixed. I trust his word. Thank you for reply.

KawiGunny
05-22-09, 10:34 AM
Good luck on the ASVAB and hopefully we will see your title changed to poolie soon.

Marine84
05-22-09, 10:56 AM
OK...............I KNOW I've seen this same story before. Read the other 56 threads on these very 2 subjects!

Old Marine
05-22-09, 11:21 AM
Go for it.

The Navy has some dentists who will be more than glad to repair any tooth problems you may have.

andrew5760
05-22-09, 12:46 PM
I understand these question arises a lot. I've search and read and re-read many threads. Like I said I seen way too many different answers and opinions. Hard to tell which is actually true being I have no family, or friends in the Marine Corps. Anyways, I will not let little things get in my way being the best I can possibly be. These were my only two concerns, and this will be the only topic I'd create. I will now go on to just being a reader, Thank you Marines for your time.

sscjoe
05-22-09, 01:06 PM
I understand these question arises a lot. I've search and read and re-read many threads. Like I said I seen way too many different answers and opinions. Hard to tell which is actually true being I have no family, or friends in the Marine Corps. Anyways, I will not let little things get in my way being the best I can possibly be. These were my only two concerns, and this will be the only topic I'd create. I will now go on to just being a reader, Thank you Marines for your time.

Young man, you give up way to easy. If you can't take the sh-t from us then a D.I is going really have fun with you. If you have any questions or need any info it would be to your benefit to ask.

Rocky C
05-22-09, 01:49 PM
Young man, you give up way to easy. If you can't take the sh-t from us then a D.I is going really have fun with you. If you have any questions or need any info it would be to your benefit to ask.

Excellent answer and it seems that this young man is doing his homework way ahead of time unlike most Poolees questions I read.

Andrew don't be so Humble!!!
If you put in the effort to search your questions and can't find the answer, ask AWAY.

We may F**k with you a little but you will get the straight scoop here.

CARRY ON WANNABEE!!! :evilgrin:

andrew5760
05-22-09, 01:51 PM
Yes sir. If I have any other questions than, I'll be sure to ask. My recruiter has actually been pretty helpful on most of my questions. And giving up, is a term I absolutely DISPISE. There is no giving up. All or nothing.

Rocky C
05-22-09, 01:58 PM
Yes sir. If I have any other questions than, I'll be sure to ask. My recruiter has actually been pretty helpful on most of my questions. And giving up, is a term I absolutely DISPISE. There is no giving up. All or nothing.

:thumbup:

Supersquishy
05-22-09, 03:10 PM
I don't think you have any problems. I had my wisdom teeth pulled out in Boot Camp, the positive I saw in that is I got 1 day of bed rest, well needed..lol The Tattoo I have seen way worse in the fleet. Your attitude about not being told what to do will go away, all you will see is a Marine with a Rank, most likey if he/she tells you what needs to be done 99% of the time they will out rank you anyways, You will not see age. GOOD LUCK!

andrew5760
05-22-09, 05:09 PM
Thank you, Marine, for your reply. Although, I could care less about bed rest. Fix it up and send me back out there. And at my age enlisting I realize I will need to take orders from those who are younger than me, which is absolutely fine. Age is nothing but a number, right? I would treat them with the up most respect, as they earned it, as they ARE Marines.

ameriken
05-22-09, 06:27 PM
And at my age enlisting I realize I will need to take orders from those who are younger than me, which is absolutely fine. Age is nothing but a number, right? I would treat them with the up most respect, as they earned it, as they ARE Marines.

At times though, I tend to have that, " You haven't gone through what I've gone through, who you are you tell me anything? " I've realized that at my age this is absolutely NOT the attitude I can afford to have and certainly not the one I want.

Looking at your two statements, you really have an internal conflict there. As for boot camp, you may say you'll treat them with the utmost respect, but that 'who are you to tell me anything' attitude will rear its ugly head the minute a younger DI gets in your face.

If DI's catch on to your age and attitude, they'll rip you up more than the younger recruits. You really need to resolve that negative attitude. Everything in boot camp and the Marines is about following orders and doing what you're told, even when you disagree with it.

JWDevilDog
05-22-09, 06:39 PM
You have a good attitude, for the most part, wannabee. I have a feeling your teeth infection might be fixed in boot camp. But it might delay your shipping, and they might say you have to get it fixed beforehand. I don't know, but those are basically the two things that might happen.

Feel free to post, too. We are here to help, and sometimes poolees and wannabees come up with unique questions, that recruiters can't answer. That is one reason for this site.

andrew5760
05-23-09, 12:49 AM
Looking at your two statements, you really have an internal conflict there. As for boot camp, you may say you'll treat them with the utmost respect, but that 'who are you to tell me anything' attitude will rear its ugly head the minute a younger DI gets in your face.

If DI's catch on to your age and attitude, they'll rip you up more than the younger recruits. You really need to resolve that negative attitude. Everything in boot camp and the Marines is about following orders and doing what you're told, even when you disagree with it.

Sir I understand what you mean by my "internal conflict". But the difference is I'll be around people who've earned respect, and not demand it. Don't get me wrong, I am not a disrepectful person. Very far from it. I hope that makes sense. That " You haven't walked in my shoes" type attitude seems to be mostly directed towards the people I am often around, which are not Marines, but my friends instead. And even at that, I HATE having that attitude, and feeling. I know the D.I.'s will take care of that problem quickly. I feel like that is one of the best things I could learn through the Marine Corps. I decided this would be best for me to grow as a person, and I don't think I've ever been so sure of something in my life.

NoRemorse
05-23-09, 07:28 AM
Actions... they speak louder than words. They get a whole lot louder when you're under stress. While you might benefit from a minor attitude adjustment now it's also something you'd have to work through under stress.

You may have other psychological issues come up while under pressure to get the deck scuzzed with your puny little scuzz brush and 60 other recruits around you as you race to the other end of the squad bay.

You can talk and talk and talk but until you do and do and do you'll never ever know. Just stay humble and open your ears and you'll do fine. I was an older recruit (24 or so) and one of the drill instructors was younger than me. You forget about all that stupid sh!t real quick if you want to survive and thrive in either MCRD.

Carry on, poolee. A wordy response is not necessary. A crisp "Aye, <insert rank here>!" and intense, high speed execution of any lawful orders faster than the speed of light are what we require here.

Excessive movement on the drill field and excessive running of the mouth is the type of sh!t that gets you killed elsewhere. Otherwise, take heart and keep pushing.

andrew5760
05-23-09, 10:18 AM
Aye Pfc! Thank you for your exhortation.

Rocky C
05-23-09, 03:26 PM
Aye Pfc! Thank you for your exhortation.

Good word, 14th century!!! :thumbup:

KawiGunny
05-26-09, 08:30 AM
Good word, 14th century!!! :thumbup:

Isn't that when you enlisted? :D

andrew5760
05-26-09, 08:56 PM
Isn't that when you enlisted? :D

That's coffee all over the keyboard! haha. I beileve I've decided which MOS I'd like to go with. 0311.