PDA

View Full Version : Adena seniors look forward to challenge in the Marines

thedrifter
05-20-09, 07:57 AM
May 20, 2009
Adena seniors look forward to challenge in the Marines

BY JONA ISON
Gazette Staff Writer

FRANKFORT - Family connections to the Marines have inspired at least three upcoming Adena High School graduates to enlist.

Clay Simpson, Kyle Sinnock and Scott Thompson all said stories they heard growing up of family members' experiences in the Marines prompted an interest.

"I think the Marines are the best branch of the military, and I want to be challenged," Sinnock said.

"You get a huge sense of honor in the Marine Corps, and I want to live with that the rest of my life," Thompson agreed.

Adena has another two graduates who also have enlisted, along with eight other graduating seniors from Ross County. Staff Sgt. William Ross recruited the young men and indicated Ross County always has been a good place to recruit.

"It's a very patriotic area. There are a lot of former, retired Marines that live in the area," he said.

The most challenging part of recruitment, Ross said, is the number of things that can disqualify someone who is interested. Although there are waivers, they are hard to come by, and he often is turning down more people than he is taking. Of course, when he talks with students, he also has his own criteria - looking for those who are more interested in what they will learn in the Marines rather than the paycheck or money for education.

"It's something to do with your life, experience, knowing you did something fun," Simpson said.

Thompson hopes to share his experiences with students in the Frankfort area when he becomes a teacher after retiring from a career with the military.

"I'd like to return to Frankfort. It's a small town, you know everybody. It's the way it's supposed to be," he said.

Sinnock and Simpson also plan to make the Marines a career and are interested in law enforcement - Sinnock's dream is to be in the CIA or FBI - but they aren't entirely sure where they will live someday. Simpson thinks he may settle down in Montana, where he heard it is peaceful.

The trio also are prepared to be deployed if needed, they said.

"If the job needs done, I'll go," Simpson said.

The going gets started for Sinnock Monday when he leaves for training, just two days after graduation. Thompson starts training in July and Simpson in August. Sinnock and Thompson are heading for infantry, while Simpson will be going into combat support.
Additional Facts

Ross County seniors enlisting in the Marines:
Adena: Clay Simpson, Kyle Sinnock, Scott Thompson, Kasey Saunders, Julie Skinner.
Huntington: Jeremiah Hammond, Chris Marsh, Tyler Bethel, Calob Chaney.
Paint Valley: Jessica Hurley, Caleb Gilreath, Anthony Manual.
Unioto: Russell Matheny.

Source: U.S. Marine Corps

Ellie