PDA

View Full Version : Comment from Dad of MOS 0321 / UZ Contract son.....

MotoDad
05-19-09, 04:32 PM
Hello Marines,

My 19-year old son just shipped-out for Boot Camp to MCRD SD (9) days ago......he went through MEPS and entered DEP about 5 months ago, he has a UZ Contract / MOS 0321 Reconnaissance Man.....

Although he was already a good swimmer and athlete, he trained his ass off for all (5) months, running 4-5 miles each day, swimming 1,000-1,500 yards wearing FULL CAMMIES every day, and knocking-out 100-150 pull-ups, crunchs, push-ups and weight-training every other day (day off in betwen to allow muscles to recuperate).....

When he shipped-out to Boot, he was running a 289 PFT (21 pull-ups, 107 crunches and 19:45, 3-mile run).....

He can swim 500 meters in full cammies in 13:15 minutes (BRC requires 17:00 minutes or less).....he can tread water for well over an hour in full cammies (BRC requires 30 minutes or more).....25 meters underwater swim in full cammies not a problem.....

Most importantly, he never.....ever.....QUITS!!!

Obviously, it's "not over until the fat lady sings"....and he has a long road ahead.....complete Boot Camp.....complete Infantry Training as an 0311.....make it thru RIP (Reconnaissance Indoctrination Platoon), then get picked-up for BRC and ultimately graduate from BRC......

However, I think he has an excellent chance at making it....

The point of my post:

Some of you guys dump on the Recon and Scout/Sniper "wannabe's" pretty heavy-duty in the "Poolee" forum and "Ask a Marine" forum......

Now guys, I understand that you get sick and tired of reading the endless, repetitive posts about Recon and Scout-Sniper....hell, I've read 'em all myself and I get tired of it, too!!! ;)

However, SOME of these kids (like my son), are the "real-deal" and have a legitimate shot at making it......

It's fine to spell-out for them all the sh-t they'll have to go through to make Recon.....they NEED the straight poop.....

But here's some sh-t they DON'T need to hear, because it's BAD SCOOP:

1) "Don't worry about Recon until you make it thru Boot Camp first!"

If a guy isn't training his ass off for Recon MONTHS before he ships out to Boot, he doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of making it out of RIP, let alone graduate from BRC......he needs to prepare WELL IN ADVANCE of ever getting on that plane for Boot Camp......

2) "Forget about it, Poolee.....hardly anyone ever makes it through Recon School"

This, of course, is incorrect....I have personally spoken with the SNCO at the Reconnaissance Course at Camp Pendleton.....he told me the average pass-rate is about 60% for the last (5) classes.....that means 6 out of 10 who start Recon School will graduate...the highest pass-rate in Special Operations units......higher than SEAL's, Army SF or AF Pararescue.....

In summary:

Thank you all for serving this great Nation of ours in the finest service in America, the US Marine Corps....

MotoDad

DocGreek
05-19-09, 05:03 PM
SIR...what was YOUR SON'S motivation for becoming part of Marine Recon? Do YOU, and your SON understand what the primary objectives of Recon are? Are YOU a police officer? Have YOU ever been in a gunfight? Have You ever been wounded? Do YOU know what the wounds look like, as a result of a 7.62mm bullet passing through a human body? Ever have a VERY close friend killed violently in front of YOU? Have YOU ever killed another human in hand to hand combat?

WELL....Mr.------, sir...being able to pass physical fitness tests, is one thing....
My very BEST to YOU, and your son in achieving the tough goals ahead......DOC

Rocky C
05-19-09, 05:22 PM
MotoDad,
Sir, Thank you for your kind words and your Moto from You and Your Son.
We all wish him well.
Yes, 6 out of 10 may Graduate.
Staying Marine Recon is another story.
When I was Stationed at Camp Lejeune in the mid 70's, I lived in area called "French Creek". To the left of me was 2nd Recon and to the right of me was 2nd Anglico. I became quite freiendly with My Brothers and hung out and worked out with them when they were back at base from there almost nonstop "operations" somewhere in the world and heard all the stories and complaints and hardships That come with The Job of being a Marine Recon.
It is one thing to Become one of the Elite, it is another thing maintaning The physcological and physical aspect of it.
We all wish him well and our prayers will be with him ALWAYS...
Semper Fi,
Rocky

MotoDad
05-19-09, 06:22 PM
DocGreek,

I appreciate your response and wanting to make sure I'm aware of all the potential injuries my son could recieve. I assure you, I am well aware of the risks involved.....and so is he....

However, the injuries you describe can (and do) happen just as often to 0311's, 0331's and many other Infantry Marine's.....Recon Marines don't have a monopoly on getting killed or wounded, my friend....

My son and I are both strong Christians.....his comment to me was, "Dad, if I die in the Marine Corps, I'll be in heaven with the Lord and my problems in this life will be over with....."

What's his motivation, you ask? He simply wants to be mentally and physically challenged to his very limits and "serve with the best"....that's why he chose the USMC.....he has chosen to attempt Recon to serve with the "best of the best".....

RhodeIsland / Rocky

Thanks for your kind words......yes, you make a good point about keeping up with the operational tempo of a Reconnaissance unit as being extremely demanding.....

But how will ANYONE who becomes a Reconnaissance Marine know whether they will be able to "hack it" over the long haul until they have put in their time?

To all,

I have spoken with quite a few active and retired Recon Marines during the past (5) months.....each and every one of them said that NONE of them had any regrets, and that there is NO other MOS in the entire Corps they would rather be in than Reconnaisance.....nor a higher caliber of guys to serve with......

That speaks volumes, gentlemen.....

MotoDad out