PDA

View Full Version : Accessible pay in boot camp?

derikdrock1989
05-19-09, 01:16 PM
Ok, i'm in a bit of a quandary. I ship to boot camp early next year so im trying to plan accordingly. But here is my case. My girlfriend of four years lives with me. I was told by my recruiter and other people that you get paid as a Private in boot camp. So i just planned to take my girlfriend to my local bank and set it up where she would be able to access my account and take money out each month for the rent of our place. But im hearing that when you get to boot camp you are set up with a new bank account and your pay is placed there. This is gonna really throw a kink in that plan lol. Obviously since the account will be new and made while im at boot camp, shes not gonna be able to access my money. So basically im wondering if anyone has had this problem before they went to boot and what they did to plan for this. Thank you. :flag:

SGT VAS
05-19-09, 01:20 PM
Most married guys I went through with just had their wives shack up with family and severed their ties to their apartments. You will eventually move her out to base housing anyway so you might as well get a head start.

Kill the lease and pockey the money for when you graduate.

Petz
05-19-09, 01:21 PM
if it were a spouse they would make exceptions and allow you to transfer money... since she is not, I don't know what to tell you, best thing to do would be to see if your folks can pay your bills until you graduate and you re-imburse them... besides, she can run off with your cash and screw jody while you're away, do you really want her to have your money for 3 months of un monitored freedom?

the safe bet would be to have family foot the bill... if you let them know now you can save up some cash along with them so it's covered until you get back.

oh and if you think that wouldn't happen, I've seen it before... but you won't believe me 'cause you know everything and you think I'm just messing with you... good luck with all of that by the way.

MARINECID
05-19-09, 01:22 PM
Tough situation. You can get to your cash while in Boot camp. Your girlfriend can not. You have to talk to your Senior DI and request a special pay. Usually this can happen about half way through. My advice is to pay in advance before you leave.

StrikeQ
05-19-09, 01:23 PM
Some of the other Armed Forces allow you to use an existing account to set up direct deposit. But with the USMC (as far as I've seen) you set up a new account when you get there, so yes your GF won't have access to the funds.

Talk to your Landlord/Lady and let them know you'll be in boot camp for a couple months and funds won't be readily accessible. You could always pay in advance, but they might be willing to work something out.

Petz
05-19-09, 01:37 PM
strike, he's got 6 months to get 3 months of rent together... I don't think it's that hard... leave it to the experienced ones, and those who dealt with this problem.

thanks for the help.

derikdrock1989
05-19-09, 01:39 PM
Im just trying to get feedback and put together a plan now before i waste to much time and boom, my trip to the island is upon me. I need to look at all my options and go from there.

Petz
05-19-09, 01:40 PM
and wishy washy talk about other branches doesn't help you out...

derikdrock1989
05-19-09, 01:52 PM
I agree, Ive got nothing against any other branch. But I never even thought about joining any other branch. And me joining the corps wasnt about the money like alot of these POS this past year who are joining all branches because they are broke and the economy is **** so they want $$ and job stability blah blah. Thats fine and all, but that shouldnt be your only reason.

KawiGunny
05-19-09, 01:54 PM
Be sure to carry your bank info with you to bootcamp. You might be able to have your direct deposit sent there instead. I know married people can do that. Not sure about single. Your recruiter should have some info on this also.

Lisa 23
05-29-09, 05:16 PM
derikdrock1989....This is from the Sailors & Soldiers Relief Act Letter. Hope this helps you out some.

Lease Termination and Rental Eviction<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P> </O:P>
<O:P></O:P>
Individuals called to or entering active duty have the right to terminate a lease for a family dwelling, a business, or for an agricultural purpose provided the lease was entered into prior to entering active duty and the leased premises was occupied by the service member, or the service member’s dependents.
Written notice must be provided to the landlord along with a copy of the service member’s orders. Generally, a monthly lease will terminate 30 days after the first date on which the next payment is owned, after notice is delivered (i.e. notice given 10 August, next payment due 1 September, lease terminated 1 October – 30 days after 1 September). All other leases terminate on the last day of the month following the month in which notice is given.
The service member is entitled to the return of any security deposit to which he or she is entitled and a prorated refund of any advance rent. NOTE – this does not mean that you automatically get the whole security deposit back. If any damage is done to the apartment, the landlord may be entitled to withhold a portion, or the whole, of the security deposit to cover the costs of repairs. <O:P></O:P>
A service member’s dependents may not be evicted from a dwelling the rent for which does not exceed $1,200, except upon a court order. This provision does not apply to business premises. Courts must order a stay of eviction for a period of 3 months if the tenant's ability to pay rent is materially affect by military service.

http://www.jag.navy.mil/documents/SSCRA.htm#LeaseEviction
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_491508", true); </SCRIPT>

Petz
05-29-09, 09:29 PM
he want's his girlfriend who is living with him to be able to stay in the apartment... not that she'll be able to follow him to school or his PDS as he'll be living in the barraks.

HammerOfJustice
06-02-09, 02:04 AM
derik, you should talk to other Marines or your recruiter to be sure, but the advice I was given is to have a limited power of attorney negotiated for your girlfriend so that she is able to access the new bank account that you create while you're in recruit training.