PDA

View Full Version : medical consult question

Cam1590
05-19-09, 09:46 AM
I went to meps about a month and a half ago and was temporarily DQ'd. I had to apply for a waiver because as a child i had to go to counciling for family reasons and i also had anxiety issues. I was on medication when i was about 9 or 10 but ive been off of it since. We sent the waiver to BUMed and the said i had to get a medical consult. My question is, is there anyone out there who can give me some insight on this whole medical consult thing? What can i expect? All i want to do is join the corps. I dont struggle with anxiety anymore, im not crazy or depressed or anything. I understand that this is the process i have to go through but i personally think its rediculous for me to have to through all this stuff because i honestly dont think i need it. Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Zulu 36
05-19-09, 10:19 AM
I went to meps about a month and a half ago and was temporarily DQ'd. I had to apply for a waiver because as a child i had to go to counciling for family reasons and i also had anxiety issues. I was on medication when i was about 9 or 10 but ive been off of it since. We sent the waiver to BUMed and the said i had to get a medical consult. My question is, is there anyone out there who can give me some insight on this whole medical consult thing? What can i expect? All i want to do is join the corps. I dont struggle with anxiety anymore, im not crazy or depressed or anything. I understand that this is the process i have to go through but i personally think its rediculous for me to have to through all this stuff because i honestly dont think i need it. Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Essentially it means you need to get a second opinion from a civilian doctor (preferably the one that treated you in the first place) to write a report putting some details in, what he diagnosed and why, including when you stopped meds (important), and stating that you are either:

a. All better now
b. Just as bad
c. Worse

Your recruiter should have an outline of the info the doctor needs to provide.

Cam1590
05-19-09, 11:30 AM
thanks for the quick response

BR34
05-19-09, 11:53 AM
The Sgt is correct. I had to have two consults, one for my vision and one for screws in my ankle.

With both I was just checked out by a civilian doctor. The doctor then filled something out letting MEPS personnel know I was good to go.

MARINECID
05-19-09, 12:34 PM
The consult is actually performed by a contracted civilian doctor. Meps will send you to one of the contractors for as second opinion.