PDA

View Full Version : Several questions before I enlist.

usakickass
05-18-09, 08:40 PM
I am 19 years old and have one year of college under my belt, however recently jobs have been harder to come by, and I no longer wish to continue school. I am on the smaller side, I'm 5'11 and weigh 138. I've talked to a recruiter on the phone and set up a meeting at the end of the week. Before I enlist I was hoping some of you fine Marines might be able to answer several questions I have.

1.) I'm not a very "big" guy, and I'm not terribly out of shape. I'm wondering if any of the smaller guys had problems in boot camp when you went though, and if so, what was the most common issue?

2.) I know there is a portion of training in the water, however I have not been able to find much specific information on what will be required, or the suggested swimming experience beforehand. I recently got a membership to the YMCA near me, and was wondering what I should work towards.

3.) I was advised elsewhere that I could help to do 50-75 push-ups and the same number of sit-ups each morning, and at night. Does this seem accurate to you? If not, what should I change?

4.) My last question; The other day while working, I managed to skin the bottom of each of my palms pretty badly. It should be fine in a week, but until then, what would you suggest I do instead of push-ups that would be equally effective?

Any answers you can provide would be very greatly appreciated.

Phantom Blooper
05-18-09, 08:52 PM
I am 19 years old and have one year of college under my belt, however recently jobs have been harder to come by, and I no longer wish to continue school. I am on the smaller side, I'm 5'11 and weigh 138. I've talked to a recruiter on the phone and set up a meeting at the end of the week. Before I enlist I was hoping some of you fine Marines might be able to answer several questions I have.

1.) I'm not a very "big" guy, and I'm not terribly out of shape. I'm wondering if any of the smaller guys had problems in boot camp when you went though, and if so, what was the most common issue?

Size has nothing to do with it....a little ROK Marine can beat some of the biggest men I've known.

2.) I know there is a portion of training in the water, however I have not been able to find much specific information on what will be required, or the suggested swimming experience beforehand. I recently got a membership to the YMCA near me, and was wondering what I should work towards.
Swimming...the stronger you are the better!

3.) I was advised elsewhere that I could help to do 50-75 push-ups and the same number of sit-ups each morning, and at night. Does this seem accurate to you? If not, what should I change?

Read the 1000 + forums in the Poolee Forum..Do A Search

4.) My last question; The other day while working, I managed to skin the bottom of each of my palms pretty badly. It should be fine in a week, but until then, what would you suggest I do instead of push-ups that would be equally effective?

Tape them and keep on using them ...unless they are infected..and switch hands!

Any answers you can provide would be very greatly appreciated

Most of your answers are on the Poolee Forum...Do A Search!
:evilgrin:

JWDevilDog
05-18-09, 08:56 PM
Welcome to the site. Remember to follow the rules (you seem to have done well here, from what I can gather), and make yourself at home, to an extent.

1.) It all depends on your motivation and will to succeed. Some of the smaller guys in my platoon had the most heart, so they did things just as well, if not better, than us bigger guys. Being big isn't always beneficial.

2.) You can do a search on this site for that question. Look up "Swim qual," or basically anything involving swimming. It has been covered many times before.

3.) Pushups are a great strength building exercise and you will do a lot of them in boot camp. I wouldn't put a specific number on how many you should do, but basically make sure your technique is correct everytime, and do sets of them. I usually do sets of 15-20 Marine Corps count pushups (basically two pushups is counted as one). I say do several sets one night, until you can't do them anymore. Alternate days. Don't do them everynight, but do them every other night. You want to give your muscles time to recover.

-Situps/crunches, however, you can do everyday. Your abdomen muscles recover fast enough that it shouldn't be an issue. Marines, correct me if I'm wrong about that. Again, no set number is required. Just do as many as you can in time (two minutes, three minutes, etc.).

4.) I suggest you suck it up, or do fingertip pushups. Get some gauze or something, something that will allow you to exercise.

usakickass
05-18-09, 09:19 PM
Thank you very much, and I did finally manage to find a thread regarding the swim qualifications.

TTX
05-18-09, 10:00 PM
"5'11" and 138lbs"

You better start getting some lean mass.