PDA

View Full Version : Time-Sensitive Health Insurance for my Child Question...

Shippingsoon
05-18-09, 11:49 AM
After scanning through 12 pages of search results after looking up "insurance" on this site, I was unable to find any information pertaining to what I need.

Since it's tough for me to state my needs without oversharing, here's my basic (tough) situation for which I'm really hoping to find a good answer for:

I'm 24, and I ship to Parris Island in exactly 20 days. That's not the issue. The issue is that I've been embroiled in a sticky, nasty, clusterf*** battle with the mother of my child. My child is only 3 months old. After months of absurdity and thousands of dollars in attorney’s fees, it looks like there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. However, one thing I have yet to introduce into the fray is the aspect of Health Insurance that I will be able to provide for my daughter through the Marines.

I have searched high and low and have yet to encounter and specific information regarding what exactly I will be able to provide to her. My recruiter has simply told me that "it's the best insurance you can get" but I need to find some actual figures/plans/etc in order to properly negotiate with this woman.

As you might imagine, this situation is an enormous source of stress and, more recently, grey hair for me. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful.

As an addendum, if anyone is familiar with the protocol for paying child support from my military pay, I would very much enjoy some input on that topic as well.

NoRemorse
05-18-09, 11:53 AM
Your best bet would be to search on Tricare's main site

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/index.jsp

KawiGunny
05-18-09, 12:06 PM
As long as you can show documentation that she is your daughter, insurance won't be an issue once you earn the title.

Shippingsoon
05-18-09, 12:16 PM
Thanks, Marines.

I've scoured that site pretty thoroughly and have garnered some of the answers I was looking for.

The documentation is going to be completed after boot camp. Currently, I'm not on the birth certificate which is actually a good thing because Lord knows she wouldn't sign that waiver if she knew doing so would delay my ship date again. Again, the officiating action will be taking place after I graduate from PI. I just need to know what I "have to offer" so to speak to the mother. If putting my daughter under my health insurance will save the mother some money on her end, it's a bargaining chip I can use to get more visitation, which is extremely important to me since the...*ahem*..."mother" has limited me to 1 hour a week.

I know I'll be personally covered once I earn the title, but does extending insurance to my daughter require an extended deduction from my pay like it would in a civilian family plan?

KawiGunny
05-18-09, 12:26 PM
For starters..... Does it really matter what it cost if this is your child?

Besides, you won't even notice the difference in pay. You can't beat the price if you used the whole d*mn tree istead of just a stick. And yes, it will save the mother a bundle of money. You will be paying a small fraction of what she would have to pay. Money well spent if this is your child.

I keep saying "if this is your child" for a reason. Even you mentioned you are not on the birth certificate. Get that fixed if she is yours. You seem responsible enough by what you have posted here today. Get that fixed or you can't claim her as your dependent meaning no insurance.

Good luck to you.

Shippingsoon
05-18-09, 12:32 PM
For starters..... Does it really matter what it cost if this is your child?

Besides, you won't even notice the difference in pay. You can't beat the price if you used the whole d*mn tree istead of just a stick. And yes, it will save the mother a bundle of money. You will be paying a small fraction of what she would have to pay. Money well spent if this is your child.

I keep saying "if this is your child" for a reason. Even you mentioned you are not on the birth certificate. Get that fixed if she is yours. You seem responsible enough by what you have posted here today. Get that fixed or you can't claim her as your dependent meaning no insurance.

Good luck to you.

Thanks Sir!

Trust me, I have no objection to doing whatever it takes to get my daughter set. In fact, she's the reason I joined the Marines in the first place. Steady job/paycheck, intangible dicipline and charector building and the chance to finish my degree and develop valuable skills that will translate well into a civilian career post-service.

The situation with the mother is such that I need to have every possible tool at my disposal in order to properly negotiate an agreement with the mother. My attorney calls her "the Terminator" if it's any indication as to her behavior. We already have a court date set to occur during my post-boot camp leave to shore up the paperwork (getting me on the certificate).

What I'm hoping to accomplish in the interim is showing the mother I can save her money by putting our daughter on my insurance in exchange for more visitation and if i'm lucky, an attitude adjustment in which she decides working with me rather than fighting with me is the optimal choice... at least as far as her wallet is concerned (and that is what she's most concerned about, trust me).