PDA

View Full Version : Corporals Course ramps up leadership skills

thedrifter
05-18-09, 09:34 AM
Corporals Course ramps up leadership skills

By Lance Cpl. Meloney R. Moses?Quantico Marine Corps base Public Affairs
Published: May 18, 2009

With 129 instructor hours compacted into 14 training days, the Corporals Course is meant to provide students with the basic knowledge and skills necessary to be a successful small-unit leader.
Shifting from a grade-point-average scale to mastery or non-mastery, the Corporals Course is being redefined so Marines at every installation will receive the same training and knowledge.
Currently, four pilot courses, located at The Basic School at Quantico Marine Corps base, Staff Academy, Hawaii Marine Corps base and Camp Pendleton, are beginning to implement these new changes to the course.
“We’re shifting from a Marine just getting an 80 on a test and passing, to a Marine walking away with the knowledge,” said Gunnery Sgt. David Troyer, the academics chief at Enlisted Professional Military Education. “It’s our job to train these Marines.”
The first two weeks of the course, Marines receive leadership classes, and basic drill and sword manual.
They also begin to learn combat operations skills such as cover and concealment.
A lot of these skills are things that most Marines don’t do after Marine Combat Training, but will come into play if they were in a deployed state, said Gunnery Sgt. Lovell.
The new system of mastery or non-mastery is the biggest change in the Corporal’s Course, making it the only Enlisted PME course on that scale. Other training changes include a shift from standardized testing to performance evaluation and critical thinking, focusing on instructor facilitation and mentoring, replacing drill with operations orders and mastering seven of the nine evaluated events, explained Troyer.
“It’s based more on book knowledge instead of teaching what we already know, like uniform regulations,” said Cpl. Robert Torres, a disburser for administration and a student in the current pilot course. They are teaching the combat aspect of being a noncommissioned officer.
Marines from the old Corporals Course would “come back to the unit talking about how good they are at drill, but we’re learning actual combat readiness,” said Torres.
“Basically, everything taught is designed to give them the confidence and the knowledge to stand up in front their Marines and lead,” said Sgt. Andrew Niccum, the chief instructor of Corporals Course.
“You’re either able to do it or you’re not,” said Niccum
“The first step is to get this [course] out there,” said Troyer. “As of June, every Corporals Course [in the Corps] will be running our Corporals Course. For the future, there will be no command-run courses.”
“Overall, I think it’s a motivating course,” said Cpl. Jennifer Moore, an administration clerk and student in the current pilot course. “I want to go back and share everything with my junior Marines. I think it’s an awesome change.”

Ellie

http://media.insidenova.com/insidenova/gfx.php?max_width=300&imgfile=images/uploads/CPLS.gif