PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Marine Kenneth Bowen gets a big hometown welcome from Saline

thedrifter
05-18-09, 07:19 AM
Wounded Marine Kenneth Bowen gets a big hometown welcome from Saline
by Special Writer Grace Aduroja | The Ann Arbor News
Monday May 18, 2009, 7:19 AM

It appeared as if all of Saline came out to the American Legion post on Sunday to welcome home injured Marine Cpl. Kenneth Bowen and raise money for his family.

Hundreds of local residents turned out to support Bowen, a Saline High School graduate who sustained burns to more than 40 percent of his body when his Humvee hit a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. Two other soldiers died in the explosion.

Bowen, who has been on the mend at the Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, returned to his hometown for the first time since the Jan. 24 incident that required him to receive skin grafts on his arms, legs, and back.

"Thank you for everything you did, I have a lot of Marines in my family," said one woman as she embraced the 24-year-old Bowen during the chicken dinner fundraiser. Streams of supporters took the time to shake Bowen's hand, thank him for his service, and express their gratitude for his sacrifice.

"This is a hometown hero, someone who's made a great sacrifice for the United States," said Fred Girbach, an Army veteran and Saline firefighter.

Although he does not know Bowen. Girbach saw a flier for the function and felt it was important to attend.

Longtime Saline resident Doris Schmerberg said that despite not knowing the Bowen family, she understood their situation.

"My husband was wounded twice in World War II, so I have great sympathy for the boys in service and what they go through."

Even before the doors opened at noon, several takeout orders had been placed. By 2 p.m., nearly 400 supporters had paid $10 for the homemade dinners and placed bids on several raffle items. Several individuals made additional, independent donations, organizers said.

"It's just amazing, it's overwhelming; the support has been phenomenal," said Bowen, who has received hundreds of letters from well-wishers around the country. "I wanted to be here (in Saline) to thank people for all their support."

The event truly was a community effort. Local businesses and individuals contributed raffle items, such as gift certificates to restaurants and a carved wooden train, and area churches donated 75 homemade cakes as tasty deserts for the chicken dinners.

"People just came out of the woodwork," said Dorothy Vogel, a co-organizer of the fundraiser.

The Bowen family was not surprised by the outpouring of support from their close-knit town. Each of the family's three sons graduated from Saline High School, including Bowen's younger brother, who also is in the Marine Corps.

"I'm not surprised because it's such a wonderful community," said Bowen's mother Wendy Bowen.

After receiving word of Bowen's injuries, his parents relocated to Texas for three months in order to help their son. They recently returned to Saline.

Throughout the Sunday event, Wendy Bowen - who wore an ornate corsage - beamed while doling out hugs to dozens of well-wishers.

"I have a miracle. I'm upbeat because I have so much to be thankful for," she said.

Ellie