View Full Version : Rain cancels Blue Angel's finale at Beaufort Air Show

thedrifter
05-18-09, 06:27 AM
Rain cancels Blue Angel's finale at Beaufort Air Show
By JULIANN VACHON
jvachon@beaufortgazette.com
843-986-5548
Published Monday, May 18, 2009

Heavy rain and thunderstorms brought Beaufort's 2009 Air Show to a wet end Sunday about 20 minutes before the elite Blue Angels were scheduled to perform their final round of flying maneuvers.

Event organizers at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort sent about 60,000 spectators home at 2:40 p.m. after lightning was spotted within five miles of the show and a downpour soaked the area.

Gunnery Sgt. Chad McMeen, air station spokesman, said despite the disappointing finish, the two-day show was a success, drawing about 170,000 spectators and featuring smooth performances with no mishaps.

"The one thing we can't control is the weather," McMeen said. "But people still got to see some cutting-edge aircraft and tricks."

Many spectators came prepared with umbrellas and ponchos, but when the rain increased, spectators hustled for cover under vendors' tents and the static aircraft displays.

Shawn Adams and his son, Dustin, of Augusta, Ga., found shelter under the wing of an F/A-18, a fighter jet similar to what the Blue Angels fly.

Dustin, 16, said he is training to get his pilot's license and hopes to one day fly in the Army. He has already logged nine hours and also participates in the Young Marines program.

While he was hoping to see the Blue Angels fly, Dustin said he was glad the weather didn't stop his favorite aerobatics pilot, Patty Waggstaff, from wowing the crowd earlier in the day.

"She is amazing," he said. "I'm just glad to be here. A little rain won't hurt us."

Also among those who braved the dark clouds and scattered rain showers were Angela Amberson and her 7-year-old son, Chase, of Bloomingdale, Ga.

Imitating the performance in front of him, Chase Amberson hoisted his blow-up Blue Angels toy airplane into the air as far as his arm would reach before quickly entering a nosedive toward the grass.

He watched Skip Stewart and Jurgis Kairys perform low-flying synchronized tricks while a "wall of fire" created by dynamite and gasoline erupted behind them.

"I like it when they do tricks together," Amberson said. "I can do the same thing with my toy."

The show was a sharp contrast from Saturday's performance amid sunny skies and a cloud ceiling of at least 8,000 feet. The Blue Angels performed their "high show" including both low-and-altitude maneuvers.

Ron Ruth and his son, Owen, of Beaufort had missed Saturday's performance and were waiting out the rain with friends when event organizers canceled the Blue Angels segment of Sunday's show.

"We're just disappointed because we were having such a good time," Ron Ruth said. "It was just starting to get good."

Ellie