PDA

View Full Version : Local marine fighting own battle with aneurysm; benefit planned

thedrifter
05-18-09, 06:12 AM
Local marine fighting own battle with aneurysm; benefit planned

Monday, May 18, 2009 12:41 AM CDT

By Kevin Barlow
kbarlow@pantagraph.com

CLINTON -- There was a point when every time Dee Parson thought about her son, Nathan Florey, she cried. The 2003 graduate of Clinton High School was on his second tour of duty in Iraq in October last year. While lifting weights, he had a brain aneurysm and was flown to Germany for medical treatment.

Back in Clinton, word quickly filtered to his family and friends.

“I was preparing for my wedding,” said high school friend David Torbert. “I saw a note for a prayer request from his mother. It was a total shock. We are close friends and I couldn’t believe it.”

Parson and her husband, John, flew to Germany. They boarded a plane knowing Florey was not expected to live.

“But he’s a fighter,” Parson said. “He always has been. This aneurysm was so severe and the doctors couldn’t give us much hope. But he kept fighting it.”

After some slow improvement, he was flown to Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, D.C. Two days later, he slipped into a coma.

“The doctors didn’t think he would survive,” Parson said. “But, again, he proved them wrong.”

Florey now is at a VA hospital in Minneapolis. Soon, he’ll be transferred to Indianapolis.

“It doesn’t make much sense,” said Clinton High School Principal Ron Conner. “The Marines have such a thorough medical history completed and Nathan is a kid who is big and strong. He is a super kid and I always enjoyed visiting with him when he came back. It was a real treat to visit with him and exchange stories.”

Parson knows her son will be in recovery for the rest of his life. The cause of his aneurysm is undetermined.

“He shows improvement every time I see him,” Parson said. “There is such a long way to go, but from where he first started to where he is now, is unbelievable to me. On May 12, he had such a huge smile on his face when I got to the hospital and for the first time, the therapist helped him to his feet and he stood up. She had to hold him, and he had his hands on some supports, but he had weight on his feet. That was so wonderful to see.”

He’s slowly gaining strength in his right foot and left hand. Parson describes his left foot as “twisted.” It has not yet responded to therapy.

He can’t speak, but communicates by moving his tongue to the right or left side to answer questions.

“Everyone wants to help and our family appreciates that so much,” she said. “But it creates a problem being so far away and that is why we are so anxious to make the move to Indianapolis.”

In the meantime, friends are organizing a June 7 benefit at Breakers Bar and Grill, Clinton. DeWitt County Homefront and the local VFW auxiliary also are holding fundraisers.

On the Net: www.caringbridge.org/visit/nathanflorey.

GO!

What: DeWitt County Homefront Fundraiser

When: 4 to 8 p.m. June 7

Where: Breakers Bar and Grill, Clinton

Ellie