PDA

View Full Version : Heroic voyage

thedrifter
05-18-09, 06:03 AM
Heroic voyage

By: DAVID MACCAR
Burlington County Times

The third annual Armed Forces Freedom Ride symbolizes the trip of U.S. military personnel.

dmaccar@phillyBurbs.com

FORT DIX- On an overcast morning that constantly threatened rain, more than 1,000 motorcycles roared down the flight line at McGuire Air Force Base, completing a 32-mile journey from West Collingswood Heights to symbolize the trip U.S. military personnel take to defend America overseas.

The third annual Armed Forces Freedom Ride began at 10 a.m. at Barb's Harley Davidson dealership on the Black Horse Pike and concluded with a ceremony and plenty of food for the riders at Doughboy Field on Fort Dix.

In addition to Barb's Harley Davidson, the ride was hosted by the Burlington County Military Affairs Committee (BCMAC) and the Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation (MCLEF).

"We're here to honor the families of military members throughout the world, not just here at Fort Dix," said retired airman and ceremony emcee Walt Tafe, who went on to introduce the event's grand marshals. "Everyone who puts on a military uniform, in my opinion, is a hero, but we are honored today to have two unbelievable individuals here with us today: Medal of Honor recipients."

Col. H.C. "Barney" Barnum Jr., (USMC ret.)and 1st Lt. Brian Thacker (U.S. Army ret.) both delivered brief speeches after their individual citations for the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest honor for valor, were read to the assembled riders.

Barnum, who received the medal for his actions during the Vietnam War in 1965 when his company was pinned down and separated from its battalion, said the day's ride should remind the public of all the servicemen and women who have traveled to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"That was 44 years ago that this young lieutenant had the opportunity to lead great Marines and phenomenal Corpsmen on the field of battle. I've worn this medal around my neck in their name, for the gallantry that they executed. As we gather here today, we're in war in Iraq and Afghanistan and we have young soldiers, sailors, Marines and coast guard playing an away game so we don't have anymore home games here," Barnum said. "They are protecting our freedom so we can gather like we did today on that great Freedom Ride into this military installation."

Barnum is currently the acting assistant secretary of the U.S. Navy, Department of Manpower and Reserve Affairs.

Thacker was awarded his Medal of Honor for acts of valor while serving in the Kontum Province of Vietnam in 1971.

Col. Gina M. Grosso, the commander of the 87th Air Base Wing at McGuire, told the riders, who ranged from individual bikers to members of various veteran organizations, how much their efforts mean to the men and women in uniform.

"It just cannot be stated how much we appreciate you taking care of those folks that are serving today," Grosso said. "To the folks that organized this, you are wonderful community partners and you do more for us than most people realize and I just want to let you know that we realize it and that you make a huge difference."

Barb Borowiec, event organizer and owner of Barb's Harley Davidson said that for her, it's less about the money the event raises than about showing support for the troops.

"It means that I can get a lot of riders together to say thank you to the military," Borowiec said. "When I first wanted to do this ride, I said, 'Let's ride and show the men and women at McGuire and Fort Dix that we support them, that we know they're here, that we love them.'"

Borowiec said last year's ride raised $45,000 that was split among the base, the MCLEF and the BCMAC. The MCMAC is a volunteer organization that supports military members, veterans and their families and is a liaison to the Joint Base for the Freeholders.

The MCLEF provides assistance to children of Marines or federal law enforcement personnel who were killed on duty or died under extraordinary circumstances while serving at home or abroad.

In addition to contributions from corporate sponsors, the riders each pay $30 to participate.

"Anyone who's active military rides for free," she said. "The money's cool, but to me, in my heart, it's more about saying (to the troops), 'we know you're there, we know you're in our back yard and we love you guys.' "

May 18, 2009 03:10 AM

Ellie