PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Army

JWDevilDog
05-17-09, 09:55 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1181998/Moment-teenage-soldier-went-battle-Taliban--wearing-I-love-New-York-pink-boxer-shorts.html

*sigh* Need we really say more about how nasty the army is? They just keep giving us more and more reasons.

Sure, it's a funny story, but pretty unsat. In the middle of a war such as Afghanistan, should a U.S. servicemember really be sleeping out of uniform??

Pete0331
05-17-09, 10:10 PM
Sure, it's a funny story, but pretty unsat. In the middle of a war such as Afghanistan, should a U.S. servicemember really be sleeping out of uniform??

At a FOB... sure
At a patrol base... no
His squad leader should have attended to this.

Priorities when the sh!t hits the fan are weapon and gear.

I don't care if you're still in PT gear and shower shoes,
as long as you're on the line shooting at bad guys nothing else matters.

If your leader insists on you taking the time to be in proper uniform instead of quickly manning the line, their mentality is wrong for combat.

thewookie
05-17-09, 10:23 PM
When I first heard about this I expected to see some guy with his trousers half-on, around his knees - exposing his drawers. Then, I would have thought... look at this nasty Army guy trying to put his drawers on when rounds are coming/going. But, once I saw the photo I was actually surprised, and happy.

Why? I give the guy credit for getting in the fight, no matter what. I think he's either been trained well or has natural instincts to get some. When rounds start going down range you need to be in the fight, having your trousers on is ideal but not having them on wont hurt you, and in this case at least this kid is smart enough to seek cover, protect his grape, and return fire.

He'll prolly get a book deal out of this (kidding) or if he's smart ride this 15 minutes of fame as long and hard as he can.

JWDevilDog
05-17-09, 10:24 PM
I'm not saying he should have geared up right then and there, Cpl. He grabbed his weapon and his body armor, so he was good to go, but what I mean't was he shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.

He was stationed in Firebase Restrepo in the Korengal Valley of the Kunar Province.

JWDevilDog
05-17-09, 10:28 PM
When I first heard about this I expected to see some guy with his trousers half-on, around his knees - exposing his drawers. So, once I saw the photo I was actually surprised, but happy.

I give the guy credit for getting in the fight, no matter what. I think he's either been trained well or has natural instincts to get some. When rounds start going down range you need to be in the fight, having your trousers on is ideal but not having them on wont hurt you, and in this case at least this kid is smart enough to seek cover, protect his grape, and return fire.

He'll prolly get a book deal out of this (kidding) or if he's smart ride this 15 minutes of fame as long and hard as he can.

Don't get me wrong, Sgt., I give him some props for getting in on the fight, too. But it's just a ridiculous situation, and a great photo, too.

05-17-09, 10:53 PM
It sucks for that kid. Try not to worry so much about what the Army is doing, and just take it as a lesson learned, and don't allow yourself to end up like him being in that situation. As Marines we are taught and trained to always be ready for everything, since in theater, everything typically happens.

I know that when I was in Iraq, and my squad was on QRF, we were only allowed to remove our blouse to sleep. It is things like that that separate us from the Army, and why you will not read about how a loan Marine was killed in action because you could see his bright red shirt from half a mile away.

Pete0331
05-17-09, 10:58 PM
I know that when I was in Iraq, and my squad was on QRF, we were only allowed to remove our blouse to sleep. It is things like that that separate us from the Army, and why you will not read about how a loan Marine was killed in action because you could see his bright red shirt from half a mile away.

They weren't QRF from what I understand.
It was a call for all hands to man the perimeter at a patrol base.

PaidinBlood
05-17-09, 11:02 PM
I'll say it as kindly as possible-not trying to step on any toes here-but let combat vets worry about this one. I never spent a day in-country dressed like that doggie but in the end what mattered was when the shi t went down he got to work. a jackazz in I<3NY boxers he may be, but in the end he was a soldier doing his job. move on to to bigger and better things, yeah?

Wyoming
05-17-09, 11:04 PM
Never wore skivvies in the RVN.

thewookie
05-17-09, 11:11 PM
I'll say it as kindly as possible-not trying to step on any toes here-but let combat vets worry about this one. I never spent a day in-country dressed like that doggie but in the end what mattered was when the shi t went down he got to work. a jackazz in I<3NY boxers he may be, but in the end he was a soldier doing his job. move on to to bigger and better things, yeah?

I'm not sure WTF that was supposed to mean, well, I know what you said but I have no idea how being a "combat vet" makes a single bit of difference commenting on a story about some doggie in his drawers at a firebase. Not a friggin Marine QRF, a friggin Army kid on a firebase watch. Get over it.

JWDevilDog
05-18-09, 12:45 AM
Just an interesting story, that's all gents. I didn't know what kind of base he was working out of (as you said, Cpl, a FOB or a patrol base?)

Like I said, PiB, I give him props for doing what he was trained to do, quickly and hopefully efficiently. I just question whether or not he should have gone to bed not wearing at least boots n utes. I may not be a combat vet (:(), but it just doesn't seem tactically sound if he were on a patrol base.

Pete0331
05-18-09, 01:25 AM
. I just question whether or not he should have gone to bed not wearing at least boots n utes. I may not be a combat vet, but it just doesn't seem tactically sound if he were on a patrol base.

Going from what I know of the article,
and if I was his squad leader:

Unless he was on QRF I don't care if he's not in boots/utes,
as long as it's tactical/military PT gear.
I wouldn't even mind if he was wearing civilian style PT gear/undergarments as long as they were a some what tactical color.
Being forward deployed to a patrol base sucks, every little thing that can make my guys comfortable should be encouraged as long as it doesn't hurt the ability of the unit to wage war.

Big red t-shirt would be a major no no.
Just because PFC Coed Bootcamp thinks he's safe sleeping in his sandbag bunker
doesn't mean that Mustafa bin Durka won't sent an RPG wakeup call.

Be ready for anything at all times.

PaidinBlood
05-18-09, 07:16 AM
Sheeyit I barely consider myself a combat vet...all I meant was JW's first post declared him unsat and questioned whether any servicemember should be sleeping out of uniform on the front lines. Leave it to those who are there. SF

Namster
05-18-09, 07:24 AM
Marines,

This was a UK edition. Look what I found in the comments at the bottom:

"Are we supposed to be impressed?
Murderers in a country they had no right to invade.
- Tony Quinlan, Essex, 15/5/2009 11:32"

What say you, gents?

That is the kind of scum civilians that we have to contend with.

DocGreek
05-18-09, 07:30 AM
"What goes around, comes around!"...some more bombings, in thier cities, might just change thier minds!! MORE, STUPID, IGNORANT AZZHOLES!!!! NO PITY, FROM HERE!!!....DOC

JWDevilDog
05-18-09, 08:32 AM
Ugh, I hate civilians sometimes. Especially foreigners. They don't understand and more than likely never will.

Integrity57
05-18-09, 10:32 PM
I'm gonna get a little off topic by using a historical reference, but when the raid at Pearl Harbor took place, most all the crews on the ships in port were asleep in their racks, save for the Watchstanders and cooks. **** started blowing up and everyone was moving and trying to fight back no matter what they were wearing. There would have been alot more dead Sailors and Marines at Pearl Harbor if they had tried to put their uniforms on before taking action. I think the Soldier in question did the right thing by getting his ass on the line asap.

JWDevilDog
05-19-09, 02:50 AM
I at no point questioned whether or not the soldier was doing the right thing. I even said he did the right thing, and I give him props for responding quickly and effectively.

I'm saying someone the night before messed up in allowing him to go to sleep in a bright red, not tactical in the least, t-shirt. He should have at least been sleeping in something more tactical.

underdogBJJ
05-19-09, 04:03 AM
This poolee found it interesting that the Army soldier was wearing a bright red shirt, as the soldier would stick out more than a properly uniformed soldier.

JWDevilDog
05-19-09, 04:29 AM
You don't rate to talk in here, poolee. This is a Marine only area. Out, out NOW.:evilgrin:

pheartnov2904
05-19-09, 03:48 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1181998/Moment-teenage-soldier-went-battle-Taliban--wearing-I-love-New-York-pink-boxer-shorts.html

*sigh* Need we really say more about how nasty the army is? They just keep giving us more and more reasons.

Like that Pete0331 said, manning the line at a patrol base requires your gear(which is always next to you) and your respective weapon(which never leaves your side).

Cammie bottoms and bloused boots were the last thing I though about during incoming at a patrol base.

You just don't have time, Devil Dog.

SF

Achped
05-19-09, 04:09 PM
Going from what I know of the article,
and if I was his squad leader:

Unless he was on QRF I don't care if he's not in boots/utes,
as long as it's tactical/military PT gear.
I wouldn't even mind if he was wearing civilian style PT gear/undergarments as long as they were a some what tactical color.
Being forward deployed to a patrol base sucks, every little thing that can make my guys comfortable should be encouraged as long as it doesn't hurt the ability of the unit to wage war.

Big red t-shirt would be a major no no.
Just because PFC Coed Bootcamp thinks he's safe sleeping in his sandbag bunker
doesn't mean that Mustafa bin Durka won't sent an RPG wakeup call.

Be ready for anything at all times.

I completely agree with you on this.

1stMarDiv0302
05-19-09, 04:18 PM
Poor kid.

JWDevilDog
05-19-09, 08:26 PM
Poor kid.

Oohrah, sir, and welcome to the site! It's rare that we have someone of your rank grace our beloved forums, so please make yourself right at home, sir. :usmc:

1stMarDiv0302
05-23-09, 03:05 AM
Oohrah, sir, and welcome to the site! It's rare that we have someone of your rank grace our beloved forums, so please make yourself right at home, sir. :usmc:

Thanks, Lance Corporal. It does seem like mostly enlisted folk here, but I think I'll manage.