PDA

View Full Version : Navy Corpsman Sounds Off

thedrifter
07-14-03, 02:12 PM
Navy Corpsman Sounds Off

Sir,

I am a Navy Corpsman stationed with Bravo Company 4th Light Armored Recon (LAR). I have been in theatre since 23 Feb. In the last few weeks I have observed several trends in the way the Army is operating that should be brought to your attention. I understand that the Army occupies an area that has more Saddam loyalists then the Marines (who are in southern Iraq), but the Army is taking a less defensive posture then we are.

About two weeks ago I spent 3 days up north near Camp Dogwood, where the Army and Marine areas butt up against each other. Every patrol we ran in the LAVs had each and every Marine (and Corpsmen) armed with a rifle providing security. We rolled past 3 Army convoys (consisting of 20-30 large trucks each) that had ZERO security setup. Not a single weapon in sight. One lone Hummer drove by us, with a SAW on the pintle mount, but the gunner was inside the vehicle with just the top of his helmet sticking out. Anybody could have attacked him, and he would have been unable to defend himself.

Four days ago a group of Army MPs stopped just outside our compound to buy sodas and ice from local vendors. While I find it ironic that MPs are violating camp rules on this matter, I was more concerned with the fact that nobody set up any security. One of the SAW gunners was in the back of his hummer arranging his cooler, the second SAW gunner was away from his pintle mount smashing blocks of ice. About half of the men on the deck were running around with out weapons (they had left them in the vehicle). The fact that two other soldiers have died in the past weeks doing just this, was totally lost on them.

On another occasion we were providing security for Army MPs who were assisting local police during traffic stops. The MPs in question were told us they were not allowed to touch their SAWs unless they radioed in for permission. They were also only issued two magazines, and if a gun fight occurred, unseal a box to get more.

I have also heard stories from my Marines about other examples. I am concerned that this lax attitude is not only getting soldiers killed but making this entire operation look worse then it really is.

Thank you for your time.

Very Respectfully

A Navy Corpsman

http://www.sftt.org/article07132003a.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

mbert
07-14-03, 02:17 PM
War is a science for those who are outstanding;
an art for mediocrities;
a trade for ignoramuses.

Frederick the Great, 1747

OJK
07-30-03, 04:36 PM
A post on one of the gun forums raised the question, "What's the difference between the Army and the Marines?"

My answer to that post was, "If you have to ask, you probably wouldn't understand the answer!"

:marine: :cool: ;)

CPLRapoza
07-31-03, 12:19 AM
THat brings up an experience I had of my own. It was post September 11th and I was deployed to Okinowa. Well the Air Force decided that they needed some extra security so they called in the Marines, 3rd LAR to be exact. Well we get up there and fine so many security violations its ridiculous. I mean holes big enough to walk through, and we even found a covert where the rust completly ate the bars away and was left wide open. This thing was big enough to hide a company and a couple of humvees comfortably. The way it looked it had been like that for awhile. And when we reported it in they were just like ok thank you we'll get to it, we had to jump on their ass to fix it that day. But then again it is the Air Force. Well sorry if I took up any of time and made you any stupider for reading this but, it's a memory well served.